Photography

zepps_apprentice

Thank you zepps_apprentice and Deborah (Hi Deborah, long time, no see ;) )

Zepps_apprentice I took the beach pic ^ above using a Canon 40D and a Tamron 17-50 mm set of lens. I do like this Tamron set A LOT and I would strongly recommend it, I have taken some fabulous pics using it. :) A very good value too. ;)

Thank you zepps_apprentice and Deborah (Hi Deborah, long time, no see ;) )

Zepps_apprentice I took the beach pic ^ above using a Canon 40D and a Tamron 17-50 mm set of lens. I do like this Tamron set A LOT and I would strongly recommend it, I have taken some fabulous pics using it. :) A very good value too. ;)

Hello brspled! Great to see you as well. Hopefully you will post many more of those magnificent photos you take. Honestly, your photos are better than most professionals :D

The Sony Cyber-Shot was a gift but it cost around $400 in 2008.

In the past few days, I have been accused of posting two Photoshopped images from that site. To my knowledge, neither of them are Photoshopped.

The first:

enhanced-buzz-9683-1314574378-14.jpg

Route 12 on Hatteras Island, NC

Proof that it's not Photoshopped.

The second:

t1jXy.jpg

Squall line on the coast of Pensacola, FL

I can't prove that it's not Photoshopped but I did find another photograph that was taken on the same day (August 9th, 2011) at the same location (Bands on the Beach [which was cancelled]) in Pensacola, FL:

184169_10150752475040705_217138275704_19954532_7326181_n.jpg

These days it's really hard to tell what's been Photoshopped and what hasn't but I won't knowingly post a photo I know has been altered and try to say it hasn't. With the ability to so easily manipulate photographs these days a lot of people are skeptical and for good reason.

The power of water is scary. :unsure:

I saw cloud formations like that in Texas as we drove west towards El Paso. We turned around to get back under some cover and weren't thinking of taking any pics at the moment as we just wanted to get away from it. When the lightning hit it seemed to be right overhead. :unsure:

I left my flash drive at home (dammit). We got a bunch of nice pics the other day in Tacoma at the 'Sanford & Son' antique mall. :lol:

It has some awesome stuff but they are just way too expensive for the average person. I will post some pics soon of the window glassworks they had there.

Cheers! It's a little group of islands called The Isles of Scilly. I used to go there when I was a kid, went again in June this year for the first time since 1986. :)

That photo was taken from the apartment where we were staying. I'd thrown some left over food onto the beach for the birds - that's why the seagull is looking in!

Here are a couple more. I leaned out of the window for these.

IslesofScillyJune2011003.jpg

IslesofScillyJune2011030.jpg

Excellent! I'm THERE!! (in my dreams) :D

Now you're hitting home. Black & White is my fave. Is that a color conversion? :)

Yeah these days I don't think theres much reason to shoot specifically B&W, if you take pics in RAW you can just change the colour setting afterwards. I got lucky with that shot, the sun was just at the right angle to give a polarizer maximum effect and give it a dark sky at around midday.

A few other B&W conversions I'v done recently if you interested, a couple more Swiss shots...

mortbw1small.jpg

mortbw2small.jpg

..and an older shot from Bryce Canyon with my IXUS compact from a couple of years ago...

usa270bw4.jpg

Nice balance of the light.

Helped alot by usign a grad filter...

838004305_125.jpg

Lessened the light difference enough for the camera to keep the detail and then I boosted the briighness of the shadows a bit to level things out.

Hello brspled! Great to see you as well. Hopefully you will post many more of those magnificent photos you take. Honestly, your photos are better than most professionals :D

Thank you Deborah,it's very sweet of you. Photography is my favorite hobby ;)

This one was taken in Atacama, Chile. It's the Vale de La Luna, at sunset. Pic taken with a Canon 40D + Tamron 17-50mm, I used a Polorizer filter too.

_MG_0318-2-1.jpg

Thanks very much brspled and greenman for the helpful feedback - greatly appreciated :beer:

I know some purists still prefer film to digital, but for novices, it saves so much time and money what with all the trial and error we have to go through. Much obliged to you both for making the path a little clearer. Keep those beautiful photos coming!

Thanks very much brspled and greenman for the helpful feedback - greatly appreciated :beer:

I know some purists still prefer film to digital, but for novices, it saves so much time and money what with all the trial and error we have to go through. Much obliged to you both for making the path a little clearer. Keep those beautiful photos coming!

The vast majority of photographers at all levels shoot digital these days, indeed the main reason I see people still shooting film is that it saves on cost. Medium format digital cameras are still a minimum of £10,000 and you can buy film versions for a tiny fraction of that used if you want to make massive prints.

Yeah these days I don't think theres much reason to shoot specifically B&W, if you take pics in RAW you can just change the colour setting afterwards. I got lucky with that shot, the sun was just at the right angle to give a polarizer maximum effect and give it a dark sky at around midday.

A few other B&W conversions I'v done recently if you interested, a couple more Swiss shots...

mortbw1small.jpg

mortbw2small.jpg

..and an older shot from Bryce Canyon with my IXUS compact from a couple of years ago...

usa270bw4.jpg

Helped alot by usign a grad filter...

838004305_125.jpg

Lessened the light difference enough for the camera to keep the detail and then I boosted the briighness of the shadows a bit to level things out.

Excellent! I've NEVER been able to get a traditional print to look like any of your pics, especially with the brilliant whites. I don't know if my camera can shoot in RAW but I was thinking of getting the NIK Black & White program sometime down the road. :)

Pics I took during a recent trip to Europe. I used a Canon 5D Mark II and a Canon 24 - 105 mm L set of lens.

1. Paris, the Louvre

IMG_0621-1-1.jpg

2.Spiral Staircase, The Vatican Museum

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Some good pics here, I'm glad to know other Zep fans enjoy photography too.

:)

Great shots. :thumbsup:

Thank you Patrycja :)

As Greenman says a tripod is very useful when you want to blur water. I would also recomend a ND filter. This pic was taken with a Canon G10, a small tripod and the ND filter function of the camera (actually it IS a ND filter, but it is built inside the camera)

IMG_6625-c-1.jpg

Some compact cameras as the Canon G series are really good. They are no DSRL, of course, but you can have some very good results using the manual settings of these cameras.

Nice pics Greenman!

Another great shot. Mother Nature at her finest. :)

'Don't you know that women are the only works of art?'---Don Henley :D

Excellent! I've NEVER been able to get a traditional print to look like any of your pics, especially with the brilliant whites. I don't know if my camera can shoot in RAW but I was thinking of getting the NIK Black & White program sometime down the road. :)

That Byrce Canyon pic is done from a JPEG doing nothing but desaturating the colour and then dropping the brightness a little and bumping up the contrast alot, you could probabley do it on any number of free programs.

The big factor is the original pic, you need to be looking to take striking shots with a wide contrast range and then be much more daring with the editting than you would be with colour shots.

I always wished I was better at taking photos. I mean, I can take your standard picture of a flower or something and it doesn't look like crap, but the more artistic, "should be sold in a frame"-shot.....nope. One of these days, I'm going to break down and buy a really good-quality digital camera and some lenses and teach myself to get the shots I want.