Photography

zepps_apprentice

A quick spot of photography this morning after doing a Short Western shoot (just before packing up)

12038329_909971669040279_756195992340657   12049304_909979752372804_345206461425880   12039439_909979672372812_876774133032534

I really enjoyed the shoot, we are currently trying out different classification shoots (pending on bow style, distances etc)  So this morning was a Short Western (8 ends at 50 metres and 8 ends at 40 metres)  Overall my score for both sets were 609 which would put me well over 2nd place if I was shooting in a competition.

Over all...I'm proud as punch!

• 2 weeks later...

Saimaa Canal is the largest canal in Finland. It connects Lake Saimaa with Gulf of Finland. The first canal was built in 1845-1856 and this modern one in 1963-1968. It's 42,9 kilometres long, has 8 locks and the total lift from Gulf of Finland to Saimaa is 75,7 metres.

PA030084_zpsffo9caa1.jpg

PA030081_zpse5nnbnt0.jpg

Saimaa Canal is the largest canal in Finland. It connects Lake Saimaa with Gulf of Finland. The first canal was built in 1845-1856 and this modern one in 1963-1968. It's 42,9 kilometres long, has 8 locks and the total lift from Gulf of Finland to Saimaa is 75,7 metres.

PA030084_zpsffo9caa1.jpg

PA030081_zpse5nnbnt0.jpg

Looks like a fun place for a paddle

• 2 weeks later...

It's incredible how far photography has come considering it's such a young art. That quote by Daguerre gives me chills.

The first photograph of a human being

by Amanda Uren

This picture, the earliest known photograph to include a recognizable human form, was taken in Paris, France, in 1838 by Louis Daguerre. The human in question is standing in the bottom-left of the photograph, on the pavement by the curve in the road.  He is having his boots shined. 

Human.jpg

1838 IMAGE: PUBLIC DOMAIN VIA WIKIPEDIA

I have seized the light. I have arrested its flight.
LOUIS DAGUERRE, 1839

The exposure time for the image was around seven minutes, and although the street would have been busy with traffic and pedestrians, it appears deserted. Everything moving was too fast to register on the plate.

The exception is the man at the lower-left who sat still long enough to appear in the photograph. The person cleaning his boots is also visible, although not as distinctly.

It has been speculated that instead of a shoeshine boy, the man stood at a a pump. However, comparison with another image taken by Daguerre of the same spot at noon reveals boxes used to hold brushes and polishes.

Like every Daguerreotype — the first publicly announced photographic process, and named after Daguerre — the photograph was a mirror image.  Here is the image reversed back to show the view as Daguerre saw it:

Human-1.jpg

IMAGE: PUBLIC DOMAIN VIA WIKIPEDIA

The street is the Boulevard du Temple, part of a fashionable area of shops, cafés and theaters. It was nicknamed the "Boulevard du Crime" because of the many crime melodramas playing in its theaters. It later lost many of these when Baron Haussmann, under the instructions of Napoleon III, remodeled and modernized Paris, removing the narrow, dark and dangerous streets of the medieval city and replacing them with parks and open spaces. This process began in 1853.

While the man having his boots shined and the person doing the shining are the most recognizable human figures, a very detailed examination of the photograph reveals other possible people: 

http://mashable.com/2014/11/05/first-photograph-of-a-human/#v8Rc_jMTukqc

See the link for the close-ups. Blurry, but thrilling because you're viewing history being made.

From the first photographs of humans to the arresting beauty of our almost human cousins:

The Mesmerizing Intimate Portraits of Apes in Pawel Bogumil’s “inHuman” Series

Posted By Marky Ramone Go on Nov 3, 2015

Photographer Pawel Bogumil decided to show the intimate side of Apes in his mesmerizing series called “inHuman,” which aims to widen our view of our fellow inhabitants of Earth and treat them more humanely as possible. “We strictly demarcate the world of humans and animals. Each creature except man we call an animal. Generally accepted boundaries are not contractual but determined, and eliminates any space for beings between these two terms. We describe humans as living creatures, distinguished by the highest degree of development of the psyche and social life, while the rest are mere animals,” writes Pawel in his artist statement about ‘inHuman’. Capturing these apes in their unguarded moments while they brim with emotional intensity, Bogumil gifts viewers with a rare opportunity of discovering that these living creatures also exhibits human-like reactions and also develops genuine care and relationships with one another.

© Pawel Bogumil

© Pawel Bogumil

© Pawel Bogumil

© Pawel Bogumil

© Pawel Bogumil

© Pawel Bogumil

I picked the several here that moved me to tears. There's such a familiarity, humour and intelligent, emotional depth to the looks in their eyes. You can read the story behind this series and see the rest of the photos here:

http://resourcemagonline.com/2015/11/the-mesmerizing-intimate-portraits-of-apes-in-pawel-bogumils-inhuman-series/58302/#disqus_thread

I'll continue with the church theme I've been having in my recent pictures. Here's the Tampere cathedral:

PA260105_zpsjgq6zuwp.jpg

PA260107_zps5qcbf6k8.jpg

Here is a little story for you, when I was a young child my mother had me enrolled in private catholic schooling, until one day a meeting was held in the office of the headmaster and mother and I were informed that I was no longer welcome. They didn't like a kid who insisted writing with his left hand and insisted on asking questions around faith. It brings a smile to my face looking back on it.

Here is a little story for you, when I was a young child my mother had me enrolled in private catholic schooling, until one day a meeting was held in the office of the headmaster and mother and I were informed that I was no longer welcome. They didn't like a kid who insisted writing with his left hand and insisted on asking questions around faith. It brings a smile to my face looking back on it.

When my mom was in elementary school, they used to tie the hands of left-handed children behind their backs and force them to learn to write with their right hand. Something about left-handedness and evil or devil's work; mental medieval superstitions trickling through to 'modern' times. Mind you, this was before the second Vatican Council, so not only were their masses in Latin, but who knows what would've happened to those questioning faith. I don't think today people understand just how oppressive certain churches and schools were. Not all of them, mind you, but there was certainly an air of invincibility that made the bad ones that much worse because, well, where could you go to complain? Sounds like you lucked out, really.

Things were different by the time I went to Catholic school (though there was a marked difference between Poland and Canada), and they are even better for kids today (at least for those in areas I'm aware of), and that is a good thing.

I've never had much interest in the religious stuff but the history and architecture in these buildings is fascinating.

Here's pictures from the area of Hatanpää manor and arboretum in Tampere. It's a beautiful place:

PA260100_zpsl8x4jtl1.jpg

PA260094_zps3yxzbbpy.jpg

PA260081_zpsctsubvvd.jpg

PA260085_zps6chq6vom.jpg

• 3 weeks later...