Photography

zepps_apprentice

Beautiful! What settings did you use to use to achieve this? More generally, many of your pictures have a really neat light vs. shade quality. is this done the same (similar) way each time or is it quite varied?

I often turn the contrast of the image up using Canons free DPP software(although not much for that pic where the main change is the colour temperature to warm it up) but really the key to doing that effectively is finding dramatic contrast in real life. The main challenge for a shot like that shooting into the sun is controlling the extreme contrast that can go beyond the cameras sensors capabilties(so either large areas of the pick are pure black or white with no detail). In that case I did it in two ways, firstly I waited until the sun was just breaking though the cloud and also partly blocked by a tree branch and secondly by using a graduated filter, not actually one of those slot in systems but a simpler screw in one that makes the top half of the image 2 appature stops darker than the bottom...

52mmGraduated2StopNDfilter_0.jpg

Took a similar kind of shot from inside another nearby group of trees today...

beaconmorning044b.jpg

Edited by greenman

I often turn the contrast of the image up using Canons free DPP software(although not much for that pic where the main change is the colour temperature to warm it up) but really the key to doing that effectively is finding dramatic contrast in real life. The main challenge for a shot like that shooting into the sun is controlling the extreme contrast that can go beyond the cameras sensors capabilties(so either large areas of the pick are pure black or white with no detail). In that case I did it in two ways, firstly I waited until the sun was just breaking though the cloud and also partly blocked by a tree branch and secondly by using a graduated filter, not actually one of those slot in systems but a simpler screw in one that makes the top half of the image 2 appature stops darker than the bottom...

52mmGraduated2StopNDfilter_0.jpg

Thanks for this! The graduated filter is a really great tip. I have so much to learn...

Keep the great pics coming!

Thanks for this! The graduated filter is a really great tip. I have so much to learn..

There really the landscape photographers secret weapon. ;)

As I said you don't need to invest in an expensive slot in system to get good results as the graduation is well gradual so the break between dark and light doesnt need to be right at the center of the pic, you can also twist them like a polarizer.

I'm pretty excited.

Just ordered my own camera, the Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18MP.

Also shoots full 1080i HD video.

Yeah, it's a couple steps down from the Canon 5D MKII I use at work (and take home to use when I want), but it will be MINE!

Also getting an additional lens - Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens, plus a Canon Speedlite and tripod.

It comes with a 16GB card, and I ordered an extra 32 GB card.

All in all, not a bad setup to get started with.