"Freaks and Geeks"

lzzoso

How many of You are fans of this great, but, short-lived television show? (1999 - 2000)

I actually just became aware of this show only a few months ago when I happened to be watching the IFC channel. Since then I have set up the DVR to record all the episodes. I have seen around 14 of the episodes so far. I believe there are only 18 total episodes because this show got cancelled after only about a year.

I will not go into the whole aspect of the show, however, I will say that it takes place in 1980 and centers around two sets of high school friends, hence the title, "Freaks and Geeks".

I will say that in the "pilot" episode, within the first 1 - 2 minutes of the show, one of the "Freaks" says something like (paraphrasing), "I've seen God and his name is John Bonham".

There are more than a few mentions of Led Zeppelin over the course of the 14 or so episodes that I have seen. Of course there is no Led Zeppelin music on the show but alot of other great classic Rock and Roll songs.

If you are familiar with this show or are already a Fan, You should understand why this is already a "classic" television show. Anyone???

ONE OF THE GREATEST SHOWS IN TELEVISION HISTORY!!!

That's a bold statement, sure, but I stand by it.

Unfortunately, Izzoso, you came just a little late to the party, as there's been several discussions about Freaks and Geeks on the board before...probably way back when it was the Electric-Magic site, although I remember talk about Freaks and Geeks here around 2008, too.

But better late than never. I STRONGLY URGE you to forget watching them on tv where they are sliced and diced and interrupted by commercials, and just go ahead and splurge and get the complete dvd set...you'll thank me later. The bonus material is great and the commentary is funny and enlightening at the same time.

Of course, Freaks and Geeks is like Fast Times at Ridgemont High in that it introduced a whole new generation of talent. It is Ground Zero for today's comedy movies: Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel, Linda Cardellini(:wub:), Busy Philipps, David Gruber Allen, Leslie Mann(Mrs. Apatow), John Francis Daley, Samm Levine...and the incomparable Martin Starr as Bill Haverchuck, possibly my favourite character...I related a lot to Linda's character Lindsay Weir, too.

Plus, you got SCTV legend Joe Flaherty as the dad!

Every episode is classic, with some of the best writing on a teen comedy series ever. Plus, the songs throughout each episode are killer. No Zeppelin but that's understandable given the budget.

NBC were idiots for cancelling this show after only one season.

I could be wrong, but I believe it only ran for one season? How many episodes were there? Been wanting to get this on dvd. Eventually. One of the best written, acted, funniest and creative shows ever. Too bad it really never found an audience. It would have fit perfectly on one of the cable networks much better like Bravo.

Yes, it did only run for one season and there were 18 episodes. I read that there were three episodes that didn't air during its original run. I have watched bits and pieces of it on YouTube and want to get it on DVD because stupid WMG blocks the audio at some point on most all the episodes. :angry: The one episode I have seen all the way through was really awesome. Part of the plot revolves around going to a Who concert. I totally dig it because I am a Who fan and their songs are played throughout the episode. :D Here is a funny scene from that episode:

We're watching 'Becker' again. :D

I know that you are being sarcastic/ignorant, however, why would you post something as inane and stupid as "We're watching Becker again". I do not even know what that fucking means. If you are being sarcastic/ignorant and trying to be funny I think that you failed very miserably. Please respond and clarify what you mean (even though I know that you will not). What does 'Becker' have to do with "Freaks and Geeks"?

Archived