Zeppelin Led

I'd guess that for many audience members the problem with the drum/guitar solos was the timing in the setlist. Having the likes of NQ, WLL and DAC following closely towards the end of a setlist is one thing but having a 30 min Bonham Solo followed by a 20 min Page solo with little or nothing inbetween wasnt the best idea IMHO.

I'd guess that for many audience members the problem with the drum/guitar solos was the timing in the setlist. Having the likes of NQ, WLL and DAC following closely towards the end of a setlist is one thing but having a 30 min Bonham Solo followed by a 20 min Page solo with little or nothing inbetween wasnt the best idea IMHO.

There were no renditions of DAC in 1977.

The tour is eh to me. Some shows are great, some are shit. It's way to self indulgent for me; Jimmy's 15 minute noise solo is ridiculous. Jimmy's too high most shows and I feel every one else had to pick up the slack. They also cut DAC; possibly because the riff used for San Francisco was now in ALS but they could have played a different riff there IMO. I don't really care for Ten Years Gone this tour, it was a bit sloppy and Page could never nail those solos.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd say to tour, at me, is about a 7.5.

Everything I've heard from that tour, which admittedly isn't as much as most of you, is pretty meh. I love Listen To This, Eddie, but that's the only really good boot from that tour that I have. There were so many things going on with the band at that time, it's a wonder they finished the tour in one piece. I know rock stars are allowed ridiculous self-indulgences, and that as one of the premier guitarists of the decade, Jimmy Page had a pretty long rope.......but the heroin destroyed his ability to play. The Jimmy Page of 1973 is not the Jimmy Page on stage in 1977, or at Knebworth, or in 1980. Just horrid. He plays better now than he did then, but it still doesn't hold a candle to even the Page at Earls Court in 1975.

Let that be a lesson, kiddos.

Everything I've heard from that tour, which admittedly isn't as much as most of you, is pretty meh. I love Listen To This, Eddie, but that's the only really good boot from that tour that I have. There were so many things going on with the band at that time, it's a wonder they finished the tour in one piece. I know rock stars are allowed ridiculous self-indulgences, and that as one of the premier guitarists of the decade, Jimmy Page had a pretty long rope.......but the heroin destroyed his ability to play. The Jimmy Page of 1973 is not the Jimmy Page on stage in 1977, or at Knebworth, or in 1980. Just horrid. He plays better now than he did then, but it still doesn't hold a candle to even the Page at Earls Court in 1975.

There are plenty of great shows in '77 that tend to get glossed over because people hear the trainwrecks of Tempe or the majority of Seattle and decide the whole tour was that bad. Sure, the tour has its fair share of bad shows but IMHO it is a lot better than people make it out to be. Some of the early shows are quite shoddy but apart from that there aren't too bad shows. Here are some more shows you should listen to, you will see the tour wasn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be.

Fort Worth 22/5/77

Cleveland 28/4/77

Birmingham 18/5/77

Chicago 10/4/77

Cincinnati 20/4/77

Cincinnati 19/4/77

Atlanta 23-4-77 (If you can handle the quality or lack thereof of the recording)

Landover 30-5-77 (One of the best shows of the whole tour imo, and a great audience recording)

All of the LA shows

All of the MSG shows (Again,if you can handle the quality of the recordings that is although there is now a soundboard out of the first night and the 11th June show is a very good audience recording)

There are plenty of great shows in '77 that tend to get glossed over because people hear the trainwrecks of Tempe or the majority of Seattle and decide the whole tour was that bad. Sure, the tour has its fair share of bad shows but IMHO it is a lot better than people make it out to be. Some of the early shows are quite shoddy but apart from that there aren't too bad shows. Here are some more shows you should listen to, you will see the tour wasn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be.

Fort Worth 22/5/77

Cleveland 28/4/77

Birmingham 18/5/77

Chicago 10/4/77

Cincinnati 20/4/77

Cincinnati 19/4/77

Atlanta 23-4-77 (If you can handle the quality or lack thereof of the recording)

Landover 30-5-77 (One of the best shows of the whole tour imo, and a great audience recording)

All of the LA shows

All of the MSG shows (Again,if you can handle the quality of the recordings that is although there is now a soundboard out of the first night and the 11th June show is a very good audience recording)

I'd add Greensboro to that list

There were no renditions of DAC in 1977.

Thats my point, for most of there career Zep tended to leave the longer tracks until the end of the set but the 77 solo's just werent as interesting as NQ, DAC etc which werent just noodling(or banging ;)). They'd have been better off shifting one of them to earlier in the setlist and prefferabley making both alot shorter.

The most underated 77 show for me remains San Deigo, people focus on Bonham's less than great performance but really it isnt THAT bad and Page more than makes up for it, arguebley his best performance I'v heard from the tour.

I feel like a dip shit now :(.

Anyhow It is annoying that this tour gets downgraded becuase Of the 3rd leg.

The 3rd leg was what a handful of dates? That didn't downgrade the tour on its own. From what I understand from those who were there to witness the shows - it was a visual spectacle, especially for back then. The fuck ups weren't as obvious, if you were there. Since we have the luxury, for better or worse, of listening to these shows over and over again - dissecting them along the way - we don't get the whole multi-sensory aspect of the shows. Listening to '77 compared to other years, it doesn't consistently stand up to the high levels of other tours. With that said 6/21/77 is probably my favorite show to listen to, until the fore mentioned solos near the end of the set. Everyone has their own favorites, as far as tours go. I am just glad that we have the variety of shows that we do to enjoy!

Peace.

I'd add Landover 28-5 to the list of good shows for '77.It's also a nice SBD recording and Jonesy's "Grand piano interlude" is pretty sweet too.

The show has its merits, but it overall its too inconsistent to be labelled one of the good shows from the tour imo. I'm waiting for the 30-5 SBD to come out, I'm pretty sure exists since 5-26 and the aforementioned show have been released/

The 3rd leg was what a handful of dates? That didn't downgrade the tour on its own. From what I understand from those who were there to witness the shows - it was a visual spectacle, especially for back then. The fuck ups weren't as obvious, if you were there. Since we have the luxury, for better or worse, of listening to these shows over and over again - dissecting them along the way - we don't get the whole multi-sensory aspect of the shows. Listening to '77 compared to other years, it doesn't consistently stand up to the high levels of other tours. With that said 6/21/77 is probably my favorite show to listen to, until the fore mentioned solos near the end of the set. Everyone has their own favorites, as far as tours go. I am just glad that we have the variety of shows that we do to enjoy!

Peace.

I'm guessing he means more in terms of current perception, for years peoples main exposure to 77 was the destroyer SB and more importantly the Millard LA shows. As the Seattle video and other SB's started to leak out the LA shows started to get less attension and the perception of the tour as a whole declined IMHO.

If we had EC quality video and audio from LA I'm sure it would have made its way onto the DVD.

The show has its merits, but it overall its too inconsistent to be labelled one of the good shows from the tour imo. I'm waiting for the 30-5 SBD to come out, I'm pretty sure exists since 5-26 and the aforementioned show have been released/

"Inconsistent" for '77? :o

Surely not! :D

"Inconsistent" for '77? :o

Surely not! :D

Well yeah the tour itself is inconsistent. But what I meant by that show being inconsistent is that the majority of it is sub-par, about the worst version of Sick Again I've ever heard, "The Rover" intro is horrible. Compared to Alabama a week or so prior or the 30th of May show two nights after it just isn't very good at all. The band seems lazy on Kashmir and No Quarter gets quite disjointed towards the end of Jimmy's solo.

I will note that the version of SIBLY from the 28th is one of my favourites from '77 however.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to nutrocker? (the poster, not what Jonesy played during NQ on a few occasions.)

I totally agree with this! There are a ton of great performances, don't get me wrong but I feel for every good one, there are two to three sloppy performances. the ones where he doesn't sound high as fuck are great.

I totally agree with this! There are a ton of great performances, don't get me wrong but I feel for every good one, there are two to three sloppy performances. the ones where he doesn't sound high as fuck are great.

Have you listened to the shows I listed?

Fort Worth 22/5/77 Have it.

Cleveland 28/4/77

Birmingham 18/5/77

Chicago 10/4/77 Have it, sound quality is shit.

Cincinnati 20/4/77 Have it.

Cincinnati 19/4/77

All of the LA shows Have 6/21, 6/23, 6/27

All of the MSG shows (Again,if you can handle the quality of the recordings that is although there is now a soundboard out of the first night and the 11th June show is a very good audience recording) Have 6/7, 6/11, 6/13. 6/13 sound is distant, hard to hear in places.

So to answer your question, yes, yes I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Well yeah the tour itself is inconsistent. But what I meant by that show being inconsistent is that the majority of it is sub-par, about the worst version of Sick Again I've ever heard, "The Rover" intro is horrible. Compared to Alabama a week or so prior or the 30th of May show two nights after it just isn't very good at all. The band seems lazy on Kashmir and No Quarter gets quite disjointed towards the end of Jimmy's solo.

I will note that the version of SIBLY from the 28th is one of my favourites from '77 however.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to nutrocker? (the poster, not what Jonesy played during NQ on a few occasions.)

He hasn't been active since may apparently according to his profile. I miss that guy, He was like a bootleg mentor.

Archived