TSRTS visuals

ledzepfilm

Hey all! I wanted to share my study on the visuals used for TSRTS films and menus, aswell as the official DVD and outtakes from the film itself. I have made a study and my finds have been put into a project that a selected few have seen before. I want to share some of the angles from the different nights, aswell as Jonesy's clothing pattern. Now begin your journey as you learn something pretty interesting!

1. Jonesy's clothes.

Everyone knows that Jones never stuck with the "wear the same clothes every night" rule. My studies tells me that the order of the clothes for each night are:

27th

From Rock and Roll to No Quarter, he wore that insanely crazy jacket with the white shirt under it.

tumblr_lop8h2JbAL1qkzkxno1_500.gif < John Paul Jones with this jacket, July 28th, 1973

From The Song Remains the Same to the pre drum solo part of Moby Dick, he took off the jacket and wore the shirt under it.

When the band comes back for the end of Moby Dick, he wears a different shirt, a shirt with black polka dots and red on the shoulders. He wears this for the remainder of the show.

28th

From Rock and Roll to The Song Remains the Same he wears that jacket, same as the first night but wears it for TSRTS.

He wears the white shirt under the jacket for the Rain Song and Stairway to Heaven.

For Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker (possibly), Whole Lotta Love, and the Ocean, he wore nothing but a brown (possibly purple) leather jacket and brown bell bottoms.

29th

Rock and Roll - Dazed and Confused (pre bow solo) - crazy jacket he wore for the beginning of the other 2

Later half of Dazed - Ocean - That polka dotted shirt.

2. Camera angles.

There are some specific camera angles used for the nights.

song.jpg

This is a still from July 27th, but this angle was shot from (aproximately) on the other 2 nights.

Led_Zeppelin_The_Song_Remains_The_Same_Part_2.jpg

This still, taken from the first night, July 27th (Rock and Roll) taken from a camera on a tripod, was used for the 27th and 28th, the 28th angle is a hard one to spot, I've found it in Over the Hills and Far Away and The Ocean.

Led_Zeppelin_The_Song_Remains_The_Same_Part_8.jpg

Again, this angle is from the first night, but in Over the Hills and Far Away, I've spotted the angle shot from the 29th aswell.

pic9small.jpg

Once again from the 27th, this angle was also shot on the 28th aswell.

There are many more angles but these I wanted to point out.

3. Shepperton Studios film

I can't dissect the date(s) these were shot, but here are some stills/pictures from the shoot.

076506_011.jpg?partner=all.rovi@rovicorp.com

The-Song-Remains-the-Same-led-zeppelin-13340520-1020-576.jpg

320x240.jpg

18922998:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg?20110818102933

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

A couple of stills I'll post and I'll tell the date and song.

gal_concerts_zep.jpg

Rock and Roll, July 27th, 1973

002216_14.jpg

Whole Lotta Love - July 28th, 1973 (notice Jonesy's jacket)

5333322.jpg

Post Whole Lotta Love, July 27th, 1973

69083414.jpg

Whole Lotta Love, July 27th, 1973

jimmypagegibsonred.jpg

Whole Lotta Love, July 27th, 1973

OMRvdJ5e-Vk.gif

Black Dog, July 29th, 1973

Led_Zeppelin_Misty_Mountain_Hop_July_27_1973_Madison_Square_Garden.jpg

Misty Mountain Hop, July 27th, 1973 (possibly July 28th)

4612762_l2.jpg

No Quarter, July 29th, 1973

Led_Zeppelin_Madison_Square_Garden_live_concert.jpg

Rock and Roll, July 29th, 1973

Led_Zeppelin_Stairway_to_Heaven_Live_at_Madison_Square_Garden_1973_HD.jpg

Stairway to Heaven, July 27th, 1973

led_zeppelin-since_ive_been_loving_you.jpg

Since I've Been Loving You, July 27th, 1973

Led_Zeppelin_Thank_You_Live_MSG_1973.jpg

Since I've Been Loving You, July 29th, 1973

cap176.png

cap177t.png

cap178.png

cap179.png

cap180.png

cap181.png

cap182.png

cap183.png

Quite interesting subject.

I've found myself some odd sequences while scrutinizing the film.

Just like these captures I have posted above.

It's during John Paul's fantasy sequence in "No Quarter".

We could see some sort of "colorised negatives" of a horse riding. Inside the legs of the horse, there's another film of a book burning in a fire.

Have you ever seen that ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love those photos.

But I've come now to clear some confusion about visual mistakes.

The Shepperton mock up footage is not completely responsible for the costume and equipment changes throughout the song. For instance, everyone blames the Shepperton footage for Page using one Les Paul for the MSG runs and another for the Shepperton. To clear all confusion on this, during the MSG nights, he switches guitars inbetween Heartbreaker and Whole Lotta Love, from his No. 1 Les Paul to his cherry goldtop. He uses this guitar for about half of the song and right before the "One night I was laying down" section, Page switches to his No. 1 again. The Shepperton run has him playing the No. 1 throughout the song. Feel free to ask any other questions about any other confusions.

Quite interesting subject.

I've found myself some odd sequences while scrutinizing the film.

Just like these captures I have posted above.

It's during John Paul's fantasy sequence in "No Quarter".

We could see some sort of "colorised negatives" of a horse riding. Inside the legs of the horse, there's another film of a book burning in a fire.

Have you ever seen that ?

Yes, I have. I've wondered about the subliminal message behind it. :huh:

Well, you should ask JP Jones first. Or maybe Jimmy or Robert.

I think we have to go back to the lyrics of the song to try to answer this enigma.

Or perhaps there's no sense at all to decipher in the turning of these quite subliminal images. Maybe it's just an aesthete's trick.

I don't think so.

If my memory serves me right, there's at least one time onstage ( Page and Plant 1995 Tour in Lyon, and yes, there's even a bootleg where you can hear this) where's Robert had introduced "No Quarter" by saying this : "This is a song for the Cathars and the Rosicrucians".

So, who were the Cathars ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

For me, there's little doubt that "No Quarter" lyrics are a direct hommage and a wink at the tragic loss of the Cathar fellowship in the French history of the 13th century. These people didn't want to compromise with the powers that be, Rome and the King of France. They asked No Quarter. They have paid the price. But somewhere their beliefs and knowledge did not get totally lost and survived ...

Maybe, the books on fire in TSRTS No Quarter sequence are a direct reference to the autodafés of the time (were books considered by the Catholics as "heretic" would be collected and burned en masse.)

The scene in the first few minutes where we see Robert Plant's two children, Carmen Jane and Karac, playing in the nude in this body of water, I doubt very much parents would let their children do such a thing nowadays, even if the body of water were secluded as it had been here.

JPJ's fantasy sequence was based on the movie "Doctor Syn".

Yes, I knew that. And before the movie it was a serie of novels written by Russell Thorndike.

I've read somewhere that John Paul Jones wanted to use an excerpt from the Walt Disney movie in his fantasy sequence for TSRTS initially, but he couldn't manage to get the rights to do so, at last. So he resigned himself to play the role of Doctor Syn.

http://doctorjohnsmi...ous-doctor.html

Anyway, my question is, how you link Doctor Syn's character with the images of the books burning ? I've never seen the films nor read the novels. Maybe there's a link somewhere, maybe not.

The only thing I know for sure is if you watch closely John Paul's fantasy sequence in TSRTS, you'll really see the film of the books in flames, even if it's subtle and quite subliminal. Use your frame by frame device on your remote control.

Sorry if you feel that I've hijacked your thread somewhere, that was not my intent.

Does it mean that if I want to post more stuff about the off stage TSRTS sequences, I'd better have to open a new thread dedicated to this ? Or do you tolerate we expand the discussion to the whole film ?

Well, you should ask JP Jones first. Or maybe Jimmy or Robert.

I think we have to go back to the lyrics of the song to try to answer this enigma.

Or perhaps there's no sense at all to decipher in the turning of these quite subliminal images. Maybe it's just an aesthete's trick.

I don't think so.

If my memory serves me right, there's at least one time onstage ( Page and Plant 1995 Tour in Lyon, and yes, there's even a bootleg where you can hear this) where's Robert had introduced "No Quarter" by saying this : "This is a song for the Cathars and the Rosicrucians".

So, who were the Cathars ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

For me, there's little doubt that "No Quarter" lyrics are a direct hommage and a wink at the tragic loss of the Cathar fellowship in the French history of the 13th century. These people didn't want to compromise with the powers that be, Rome and the King of France. They asked No Quarter. They have paid the price. But somewhere their beliefs and knowledge did not get totally lost and survived ...

Maybe, the books on fire in TSRTS No Quarter sequence are a direct reference to the autodafés of the time (were books considered by the Catholics as "heretic" would be collected and burned en masse.)

Nicely done. All I can add is if I recall correctly during 'No Quarter' within the audience shot video of Page/Plant's 3/26/95 Toronto concert the videoscreen backdrop presents seemingly random images akin to the Led Zeppelin III album cover, to include a Sprite bottlecap. Deep and meaningless...or not?

Archived