No Danelectro during Kashmir

Jimmy never used a Whammy pedal in Zep days.... NFBM is a phaser, as is Achillies and some Kashmir live parts .... Listen to Black dog from 'NoQuarter' dvd extras..... Thats a whammy pedal... Awful thing....

Yes but I'm not talking about the old days. I'm talking about the O2, and he definitely used one in that show.

Anyway, the Les Paul over the Dano any day! I have played many a Danelectro and I just don't like them. They are a good blues / slide guitar but other than that they go out of tune very quickly and are cheap guitars. When he uses the LP on Kashmir it just dominates ever so slightly over the keys and make the song that much more epic. A good example of how BAD the Dano sounded "unaided" so to speak is on the Atlantic 40th Anniversary gig they played. Jimmy uses the Dano and for some strange reason the keyboards on the live feed were missing, it was just drums and guitar and the tone of the Dano on that song just could not cut it. Though I will admit even a LP on this song without the keys would sound wrong. Give me the LP or give me death!!!

The Les Paul and the Dano are both great guitars, but would only use a Dano for one or two songs in a live setting, as they can go out of tune, and agree with the earlier comment in this thread that Pagey probably didn't want to take a chance of feedback issue or tuning issue for the O2 performance.

^ I prefer the sound of the J-200 for White Summer / BMS compared to the Dano, nothing can beat the sound of a J-200, it is the Stradivarius of guitars. However in a live setting the WS / BMS & Kashmir combo is amazing and I agree, this combo can only be done with the Dano as only a douche would try and use a J-200 for Kashmir.

• 2 months later...

I don't think they had a lot of time for guitar changes, which played into the setlist (Stairway -> TSRTS). BTW, those who were hoping TSRTS would have segued into Rain Song, that would have required retuning the six-string neck. They could have gone from TSRTS into Celebration day (or Carouselambra).

12 string neck for TSRTS, 6 string neck for Rain Song. Me and my buddy kinda assumed that's why they didn't segue into into it, but then wondered how they did it in the old days. First viewing of Celebration Day gave us the answer.

Per the op, I think the Les Paul and the downtuning added alot to Kashmir, just really crushing. No idea which guitar he's used on it through the years, but I've always liked the heavier versions.

I was surprised to see him use the Transperformance gizmo to switch to an open tuning during Whole Lotta Love. Cool touch though.

12 string neck for TSRTS, 6 string neck for Rain Song. Me and my buddy kinda assumed that's why they didn't segue into into it, but then wondered how they did it in the old days. First viewing of Celebration Day gave us the answer.

Per the op, I think the Les Paul and the downtuning added alot to Kashmir, just really crushing. No idea which guitar he's used on it through the years, but I've always liked the heavier versions.

I was surprised to see him use the Transperformance gizmo to switch to an open tuning during Whole Lotta Love. Cool touch though.

Kashmir was not tuned down.

Jimmy's been using the Transperformance on Whole Lotta Love since at least 1999 on his tour with the Black Crowes.

By the way, though I like the Danelectro there's no denying that the guitars he used to replace it at the O2 were both far superior.

Kashmir was not tuned down.

Jimmy's been using the Transperformance on Whole Lotta Love since at least 1999 on his tour with the Black Crowes.

By the way, though I like the Danelectro there's no denying that the guitars he used to replace it at the O2 were both far superior.

Jimmy also used the Transperformance on Kashmir for the No Quarter project... He got it during the Coverdale/Page period. I think he's used it on Whole Lotta Love since he got it.

Agreed! As much as I like the danelectro being used for IMToD, I did prefer the Gibson at the O2. Always have preferred the Gibson for Kashmir.

• 2 years later...

Is this what Page was using during a lot of his leads at O2?

It sounded like he was fingering up two octives but I noticed he was playing on the same fret?

Digi-tech whammy pedal for the raising or lowering notes (like a whammy bar) and the octaves (two notes at once) is an octave pedal. (He used this effect on Fool In The Rain solo)

Jimmy also used the Transperformance Les Paul for the mid-section O2 performance. A series of buttons on the guitar are each assigned a tuning for the six strings. (standard tuning, DAGAD tuning etc) Given this guitar had a locking nut, I didn't see why Jimmy didn't use a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose Tremolo (ala Alex Lifeson Les Paul Model) instead of the whammy pedal. 

Anyway, the Les Paul over the Dano any day! I have played many a Danelectro and I just don't like them. They are a good blues / slide guitar but other than that they go out of tune very quickly and are cheap guitars. When he uses the LP on Kashmir it just dominates ever so slightly over the keys and make the song that much more epic. A good example of how BAD the Dano sounded "unaided" so to speak is on the Atlantic 40th Anniversary gig they played. Jimmy uses the Dano and for some strange reason the keyboards on the live feed were missing, it was just drums and guitar and the tone of the Dano on that song just could not cut it. Though I will admit even a LP on this song without the keys would sound wrong. Give me the LP or give me death!!!

strange, I kinda liked the instrumental trio version of Kashmir on Brutal Artistry II. Punchy groove...just Fender Jazz bass, Drums and an electric guitar

• 3 weeks later...

Surely the Alex Lifeson locking Paul works well, but the Digitech Whammy has a rep for sounding great

without dealing with almost any mechanical issues. Not sure Page was using an open tuning during WLL,

although it would be convenient to strum a 6 string E5 chord and have hands free for the theremin. No doubt overall the LP totally overtakes the Dano for Kashmir. The Dano although very unique just has

too many sharp angles AND loose ends. IMO many versions of Kashmir were trashed because the Dano

just sounded cheap and drifted out of tune, and rarely mixed right with the keys.

• 1 year later...

I spotted at least 4 to 5 guitars he used that night so i don't think he even need to use that clumsy tuning-changer for dadgad purpose. 

One the major advantages of the tuning-changer (which isn't clumsy) is that it allows you to change the tuning in a middle of a song. So Jimmy could change from DADGAD to concert in an instant, which is great for soloing. Soloing in a DADGAD tuning is hell. The tuner-changer guitar also allows you to be able to play slide guitar in an opening tuning and switch back to concert tuning for playing verses and choruses. It is an incredibly useful guitar.

I never liked Jimmy's Danaelectro. They're cheap guitars. Always preferred Kashmir on the 75 tour. It sounded heavier.

I also never understood why Jimmy had to play the double neck for TSRTS and The Rain Song. Jimmy could've just played a regular 12 string for TSRSS. When the song finished, just hand him a telecaster or whatever tuned to the original Rain Song tuning. There was enough time between both songs to switch guitars. Carrying that large double neck for twenty minutes of music is an utter pain. Those things are heavy. More importantly, you don't have to mess around when retuning guitars during an actual concert.

59 minutes ago, ThreeSticks said:

One the major advantages of the tuning-changer (which isn't clumsy) is that it allows you to change the tuning in a middle of a song. So Jimmy could change from DADGAD to concert in an instant, which is great for soloing. Soloing in a DADGAD tuning is hell. The tuner-changer guitar also allows you to be able to play slide guitar in an opening tuning and switch back to concert tuning for playing verses and choruses. It is an incredibly useful guitar.

I never liked Jimmy's Danaelectro. They're cheap guitars. Always preferred Kashmir on the 75 tour. It sounded heavier.

I also never understood why Jimmy had to play the double neck for TSRTS and The Rain Song. Jimmy could've just played a regular 12 string for TSRSS. When the song finished, just hand him a telecaster or whatever tuned to the original Rain Song tuning. There was enough time between both songs to switch guitars. Carrying that large double neck for twenty minutes of music is an utter pain. Those things are heavy. More importantly, you don't have to mess around when retuning guitars during an actual concert.

Supposedly Jimmy used the double neck for TSRTS & RS so as to take advantage of the second neck working in sympathy with the played neck which gave a fuller sound. Personally, I would have done as you suggested (I am a guitar player) and switched off. I played a double neck once and absolutely hated the damn thing. Too heavy and cumbersome. The only song they played live which he actually needed the double neck for was STH.

Never liked the Dano and never understood why he used it. Played Dano's before and they are ok. I like that they are light as hell but the tone is a bit thin for my tastes.

On 17/2/2017 at 10:44 PM, IpMan said:

Supposedly Jimmy used the double neck for TSRTS & RS so as to take advantage of the second neck working in sympathy with the played neck which gave a fuller sound. Personally, I would have done as you suggested (I am a guitar player) and switched off. I played a double neck once and absolutely hated the damn thing. Too heavy and cumbersome. The only song they played live which he actually needed the double neck for was STH.

Never liked the Dano and never understood why he used it. Played Dano's before and they are ok. I like that they are light as hell but the tone is a bit thin for my tastes.

IT´S THE SAME ...

• 2 years later...
On 12/13/2007 at 4:58 PM, mog said:

I've heard in the past that he sold that $120.00 Danelectro some time back for like 1.2 million.

Isn’t it on loan to The Met exhibit?  

Im a huge fan of the Danelectro.  I was thrilled to see it make an appearance in “It Might Get Loud”. Planning to hit The Met exhibit in the next few weeks. 

Ordered my mug when I was in London!

EB5B93AF-AA54-469A-88A9-87E5ECB8D791.jpeg