Classic Album Series

boylollipop

I enjoy this series as well, it's very interesting when the musicians sit down at the board with the engineer & they isolate the different tracks inside a song. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Zeppelin album done yet as I think this kind of interview would be something that Plant, Jones & especially Page would like to do.

It probably has to do with either record labels not being co-operative or some other sort of corporate thing. Eagle Rock does this classic album series, maybe they couldn't strike a deal with the surviving members of Zeppelin?

You would surely think Led II or Led IV would qualify as a "classic album".

Zeppelin, and especially Jimmy, would never do this.

1. They always want to be in total control, without any participation of a television show.

2. They want to remain "mysterious".

3. Jimmy would never use the mastertapes for this stuff.

Zeppelin, and especially Jimmy, would never do this.

1. They always want to be in total control, without any participation of a television show.

2. They want to remain "mysterious".

3. Jimmy would never use the mastertapes for this stuff.

I doubt any of these "reasons" (which are far fetched at best) would keep Page, Plant and Jones from taking part in the Classic Album series.

I read this in an article back when they wanted Led Zeppelin for those rock-star computer games:

Peter Mensch of Led Zeppelin's Q Prime Management says the band isn't comfortable granting outsiders access to their master tapes, a necessary step in creating the games. "It ain't about the money," Mensch added.

Page has long been highly protective of Led Zeppelin's recordings – he oversees the remastering and any remixing of reissues personally.

So the part where they sit at the board and isolate stuff... I just don't think Jimmy would do that.

Would certainly love it though :)

For anyone that's ever seen an episode of the Classic Album series, you'd know that it's not "outsiders" that have access to the master tapes from the albums featured. It's the artists, engineers and producers that took part in the actual recording process themselves. In other words, it's a far cry from an attempt to "commercialize" the music of the artists featured on the program. If Zeppelin were supposedly so guarded about their music and remaining "mysterious" we'd never see things like Page's pictorial bio (or his website), the Led Zeppelin DVD, How the West Was Won or the 33⅓ book on the making of Led Zeppelin IV. The reluctance on the part of some to see such a project sounds more like fans projecting things onto Zeppelin that don't actually exist. For instance, whatever veil of "mystery" ever surrounded Zeppelin was lifted many years ago.

^ I don't think so there's more mystery surrounding Led Zeppelin then there is what we know about Zeppelin.

Not sure that I can make any sense out of that comment but the bottom line is, other than some sort of legal reasons, I don't see why it would be out of the realm of comprehension for Zeppelin to participate in a taping of the Classic Album series.

I saw quite some episodes (loved the one about Dark Side of the Moon) and I know that there are no "outsiders" at the board but I think Page still wouldn't do it. Kevin Shirley told that when they were making DVD Page almost went insane when he said they had to bake the tapes. He's really protective.

Isn't it also interesting that Zeppelin, unlike most other artists, never released demo's and alternate takes or mixes?

Archived