Dave Grohl tells it like it was (for him)

Jesus, you people need to get a clue. All this Dave Grohl bashing is beyond pathetic. He's never been anything but complimentary toward the band, gave Jason his due for having kicked ass that night and you're all flaming him for it? Fuck the heck? What would you have said if he wrote that the band sucked and he could do better?

I totally agree. This did not sound like a whine to me in any way whatsoever. The guy's praising Jason's playing, for Christ's sake. High-five to Dave (and everybody else) for getting to have their dream come true, and all you negative people can shut the fuck up. This is not a matter of opinion - Dave is being perfectly gracious, and you guys are acting like assholes.

Bonham, thanks for posting those vids. Im a pretty big fan of QOTSA and The Avon vid is pretty kickass. I dont know why so many people here are being such assholes to Dave, just because he said he would tour with the band...im sure he'd fit in fine.

This all stems from Grohl virtually pandering for the job, right? And then the 12 page discussion on the old board about Grohl vs. Jason Bonham, who should it be?

It has nothing to do with Foo Fighters, Nirvana or Grohl himself (other than the overzealous fanboy nature...which I think many understand. if we could drum like him, we'd want to play with Zep, too)

What's with the animosity towards Grohl? Personally, I'd like to give Plant some backing vocals. It would be wicked awesome. Wouldn't any of you like to jam out with Zeppelin? And before you say 'no', I am already aware that you are lying.

Don't get me wrong, the Foo Fighters really chap my ass, but he was great as a drummer in Nirvana and seems like a pretty cool guy. Wanting to play with Zeppelin is a dream of his; shit it's a dream for most people with any musical sense. How does this make him an shitbag? I guess I just don't understand.

Dave Grohl is a fucking fantastic drummer, and I dare say better than Jason, though I love Jason's playing, Dave Grohl inspired me way before any of the Bonhams did. I KNOW Dave can swing, and he can rock, he's even been called this generation's "Bonham", and it's true. If any of you guys saw him play, he has such charisma and his kit sounds fucking great, mainly because of his good touch.

If you've actually heard any of the albums he's drummed on, then you'd know, wouldn't you? John Bonham is my favourite drummer, Dave Grohl second. No crime in wanting to drum for Zeppelin. I bet most of the people here complaining about Grohl have dreamed of being Plant, or having his package at least.

So coming from a primarily rock background, you have to appreciate where I'm coming from.

Oh, yea... Dave doesn't use double pedal either. Not like it matters, but, only real men use single pedals. :P

So here for you, is some tasters (Only rock roots fans will appreciate this the most, I feel :P)

Juliette and the Licks record with Dave Grohl

(Some nice grooves you'll hear on this vid)

Avon - Queens of the Stone Age

(Classic performance where he gives the fans his own Bonhamesque moment half-way through)

Dave Grohl and Queens of the Stone Age raw drum track

(Really great timing and raw ferocity with the use of his triplets)

Feel Good Hit of the Summer (live) - Queens of the Stone Age

(Great feel and power on this one)

Regular John - Queens of the Stone Age

(Real heavy hitter - I especially love it when he controls the tempo through out the song)

Spank Thru (two live versions, Chad Channing vs Dave Grohl) - Nirvana

(Dave really proves he has great dynamic here; see which version you prefer, I know which one you will :P)

No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age

(This new live version that I've never seen before just a minute ago kicks too much ass)

Walkin' On the Sidwalks - Queens of the Stone Age part 1

(This great song doesn't just show off Dave's creativity with the track, but there's also the added bonus of MARK LANEGAN, one of the greatest blues/rock singers)

Walkin' on the Sidewalks - Queens of the Stone Age

(This really is an incredible performance, in the middle of the song, they do a Led Zeppelin style jam and really control the sound)

Song for the Dead - Queens of the Stone Age

(The ending multiple triplet rolls by Grohl are astounding)

PS: I'm not suggesting Dave should drum for Zeppelin (that would be nice, though), I'm just defending him from all of you people saying he's no good.

PPS: Listen to any album he has drummed on, you won't be sorry.

Best post in the thread. You Grohl bashers are fools. Bonham mat be the only drummer for Zep because of his parentage, and he certainly did an excellent job on Monday night. But when judging him strictly as a drummer, you'll have a hard time finding an actual drummer who'll pick him over Grohl. Who's been on the cover of Modern Drummer more often, I wonder? He's simply more well regarded by musicians, and that may not be YOUR opinion, but it is a MAJORITY opinion outside of Zep boards. And what is more, the same could be said of Chad Smith or Steve Gorman being more well regarded than Jason. We all love Jason, and if you are happy he's the drummer, then be happy. I think the current set up feels right for the family and history aspects of the band, so I'm happy. But I think they might very well have sounded more dynamic with Grohl, or Michael Lee for that matter. Certainly Lee sounded better than Jason at the hall of fame in 95.

So put that in your pipes and smoke it. Besides, Grohl may yet play with Zeppelin. Simmer down, haters- what I mean is that if they tour, Jason may be willing to give up the chair to Grohl for a song or two- just like his dad gave up the chair for Keith Moon at the LA Forum.

See if you can rest your sphincters through that one, biotches. :P

I just woke up from a nap. It was a rock n roll nightmare. Dave Grohol was on stage insisting that Jason hand him the sticks because he just had to be able to say he jammed with Led Zeppelin.

Now Chad Smith is another story altogeather........talk about a tight funky rock drummer. The man is seriously tight.

Dave grohl should do comedy skits, chewing gum abnoxiously while mocking Zeppelin. The Goo Goo Dolls suck. I heard this song on the radio where he screams the same thing over and over andover again. No feel just a protools hack job.

But any way this is a Led Zeppelin site so i don't have to hear about him around here, seeing that non of his music sounds anything like Zeppelin and he will never play drums for them.

So put that in your pipes and smoke it. Besides, Grohl may yet play with Zeppelin. Simmer down, haters- what I mean is that if they tour, Jason may be willing to give up the chair to Grohl for a song or two- just like his dad gave up the chair for Keith Moon at the LA Forum.

Bonham didn't give up the chair for moon if I remember correctly (been a while since I saw the amateur footage that was shot on the 23-6-77), Moon got a couple of sticks and played timpani. Awesome to watch nonetheless. :thumbsup:

I know I've provided enough links already, but this final one is proof that Dave Grohl has John Bonham's right foot, or at least a nice carbon copy! :P

Dude, I Totally Miss You - Tenacious D

(If you're impatient, then skip past the acoustic part to where the drums come in, you'll hear the foot and you'll know what I mean when you hear it)

Edit: Replaced the link with a better recorded version :D

:angry:

I can't belive that 'Fans' of Zep are ripping in to another fan just because...Why? Because he's famous?

Or that he was there on Monday? I've not seen any anti Naomi Campbell post because she was there.

Yes Naomi Campbell!!!!

Dave G is A Led Zep Fan!!!!! Has been since he was, what, 7. fuck me ppl if it wasn't for him I would have found Led Zep.

I'd love to be able to play a track like 'Rock and Roll'but atm IKNOW I couldn't come antwhaere near Bonzo Dave G could!

I've not heard Jason play but if he's been picked to follow in his fathers foot steps then he MUST be good. But so is Dave G.

Get off the guys back. the guy is a huge Zep fan, any one who would'nt want to play/jam sing with their fave band, just kidding them selfs.

I've not seen any anti Naomi Campbell post because she was there.

Naomi Campbell doesn't have a long-standing agenda to join Led Zeppelin. When the after-show ended she went home. He's still pushing it, IMHO.

If anyone agrees, fine. If anyone don't, that's fine too.

Dave Grohl is a great rock drummer, no question about it - that was already very obvious on Nirvana's famed Nevermind. And attacking him here is just ridiculous.

However, as for Led Zeppelin, the band already has a drummer. I already have a bootleg of the complete show, and let me just say: Jason Bonham does a truly spectacular job throughout. :thumbsup:

Dave Grohl's performance with Queens of the Stone Age on the song "No One Knows" was what convinced me he'd be a worthy stand in for Bonham. I think QOTSA are much more Zep like than Nirvana or the Foo Fighters. I became acquainted with it through the MTV video, but check out this live performance. Grohl keeps it simple on the verses but on the chorus it's off to the races, what he plays under the solo is excellent as well.

Did I mention that Josh Homme kicks ass?

Oh, and for those of you who say that Grohl can't swing, how about the MTV music awards this year? On the same night Britney zombied it up, Grohl and the QOTSA jammed with Cee Lo from Gnarls Barkley:

I'm not aware of any work that Jason Bonham (pre o2 at least) has done that is as tight and funky as that. If you've got it, I'd like to hear it.

For the record, I'm glad it's Jason- I think that his being part of the family makes him the glue that holds them together, helps raise the level of enthusiasm. And I think he did an amazing job at the o2 from the video I've seen. But I also think Grohl is at least as good a drummer as Jason is, and would also have done an amazing job. His work in "No One Knows" is definitely Bonhamesque, and I mean father and not son.

Dave Grohl in the chair for LZ would be epic, the man is one of the best, most intense drummers of the last century....he's made it clear that he would love the job, and so have I and countless other drummers without the platform to make ourselves heard that success brings.

I've always said no LZ without John, but "if"....let it be Jason. Believe me, If i was as famous as DG is, you would be hating on my ass right now.....I would have made it loud and clear that should Jason not want to occupy that throne, Look nowhere else, I'm your guy. I would repeat it until they gave me a shot.

It's only the best rock drumming gig ever.

he can hit the drums hard and fast and the live jam in the middle of "No One Knows" is cool. I'm getting this horible premonition that he will play some songs with Zeppelin at Madison Square Gardin next year. I can just see this unfolding.

but if Zeppelin were really crafty they'd get (IMHO) a more technical sort of cat. The bluesy funk jam with QOSA was alright.

not only was JHB hard and fast but he was subtle , he was into Hall and Oats, so as long as we still have a choice to alter the history of rock and roll my vote goes to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIhR0Q_kpL0

I'm not afraid of someone other than Jason sitting in for a few numbers. I just don't think Grohl has the class to take that step into Rock and Roll history.

It should go to someone who dosen't want it so bad. And he's not the best by a long shot. would they do it for promotional value, to get mtv crowd?, they don't need his pull.

After all JHB had to be convinced to join Zeppelin , he wasn't begging like a little school girl every chance.

added:

I just figuered this out. it will never happen. Nirvana was too big a band. Zeppelin would not want to make a connection to another mega band.its too distracting from the Zep mystique

we have to think about the mystery in Zeppelin, Dave grohl is just too loud and obviouse, cept that he does not realize this. JB had inspired him to play punk drums like the sex pistols or dead kennedys he got the tatoo but not the subtle gental nature that was part of JHB's duality

he is a one note Johnny7

I Really can't get over the ppl on here. So the Guy wants to Drum for his all time fave band.

Hands up who wouldn't????? :rant:

Being in Nirvana and the press knowing that he is a Zep fan, They were the ones who ask him if he would like to drum for the Zep. What would ppl have said if he'd turned round and said No??

You'd all be on his back for that to. "who the fuck does Dave Grohl think he is turning the Zep down?"

Face it. The Guy Can Drum He's A massive Led Zep fan And Could step in to Bonzo shoes.

Jason Got the Gig. well done to him.

he can hit the drums hard and fast and the live jam in the middle of "No One Knows" is cool. I'm getting this horible premonition that he will play some songs with Zeppelin at Madison Square Gardin next year. I can just see this unfolding.

but if Zeppelin were really crafty they'd get (IMHO) a more technical sort of cat. The bluesy funk jam with QOSA was alright.

not only was JHB hard and fast but he was subtle , he was into Hall and Oats, so as long as we still have a choice to alter the history of rock and roll my vote goes to

I'm not afraid of someone other than Jason sitting in for a few numbers. I just don't think Grohl has the class to take that step into Rock and Roll history.

It should go to someone who dosen't want it so bad. And he's not the best by a long shot. would they do it for promotional value, to get mtv crowd?, they don't need his pull.

After all JHB had to be convinced to join Zeppelin , he wasn't begging like a little school girl every chance.

added:

I just figuered this out. it will never happen. Nirvana was too big a band. Zeppelin would not want to make a connection to another mega band.its too distracting from the Zep mystique

we have to think about the mystery in Zeppelin, Dave grohl is just too loud and obviouse, cept that he does not realize this. JB had inspired him to play punk drums like the sex pistols or dead kennedys he got the tatoo but not the subtle gental nature that was part of JHB's duality

he is a one note Johnny7

You're still not convinced? :hysterical:

added:

he is a one note Johnny7

Dude, "he can hit the drums hard and fast and the live jam in the middle of "No One Knows" is cool." + "The bluesy funk jam with QOSA was alright." = two notes.

Besides, how is Grohl's connection to punk and an already famous band any different than Chad Smith's? Although I think Chad Smith is awesome.

Grohl stll wouldn't be me 1st choice, though. That would be Matt Abts from Gov't Mule. At Bonaroo I saw perform a bare handed drum solo before JPJ came out. The guy can do it all and then some. The first vid has him doing the bare handed solo, but the sound is atrocious. The second one has a little better sound.

Matt Abts could have been an awesome drummer for the reunion.

Archived