Chicago, IL- Chicago Stadium- January 22, 1975

DavidZoso

This was the third and final night in the Windy City at the old Chicago stadium on the 1975 US tour. The whole show has surfaced and is a good show with a good version of The Wanton Song (and at this point in their career a rarely played) How many More Times. For this 3rd night in Chicago they had dropped the rarely played When the Levee Breaks.

There is a full audio tape of this show but no video footage has surfaced.

Setlist:

Rock and Roll

Sick Again

Over the Hills and Far Away

In My Time of Dying

The Song Remains the Same

The Rain Song

Kashmir

The Wanton Song

No Quarter

Trampled Underfoot

Moby Dick

How Many More Times

Stairway to Heaven

Encores:

Whole Lotta Love

Black Dog

Communication Breakdown

PN004973.jpg

Rock and Roll or Sick Again

1973.jpg

Rock and Roll

PN004977.jpg

1977.jpg

1980.jpg

1976.jpg

1975.jpg

In My Time of Dying- (This photo I would normally say it would be 'When the Levee Breaks' that is being performed. I know Jimmy puts the slide on his ring finger to play 'In My Time of Dying' but have always been told that for ' When the Levee Breaks' he put the slide on his second finger- well since 'When the Levee Breaks was not performed at this last Chicago show I have to go with 'In My Time of Dying' - but any response about this from someone who plays guitar would be appreciated.

PN004761.jpg

In My Time of Dying

1978.jpg

PN004762.jpg

1981.jpg

1974.jpg

The Rain Song

lz19750122_02.jpg

No Quarter

2044.jpg

Trampled Underfoot

1979.jpg

WTLB from '75 @ the old Chicago Stadium ... took my three younger brothers to this concert (their first concert ever)! It was so fantastic for them to play this rarely played epic tune. Bonzo pounding the hell out of his skins.

"...go to Chicago, go to Chicagoooo!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VvyXIz9JrQ

...btw - great pic!. thanks for sharing.

You know after hearing that I don't understand why people feel the live 75' version of this song was a train wreck??? I thought it was great. Jimmy's slide playing was good and represented well, only a few minor mistakes (minor key played instead of major) but nothing major or even hardly noticeable, especially in a live setting. I thought this smoked and if they would have kept it in the set would have been performed spot-on just like IMTOD. Think about it, the slide work in Levee is very easy compared to IMTOD. I have no problem playing Levee but I have to seriously concentrate to kind of pull of IMTOD, and even then I cannot do the frantic parts of the song, no way, just to damn fast for me on the slide and I a a pretty good player. That is one very hard song to play accurately and Page did this almost every performance. Levee would have become a cakewalk.

Jimmy used the slide on his middle finger on those early 1975 shows as the result of his broken ring finger. The swelling of that finger made him adapt his technique.

Well that makes sense as this is a pic from the first night in Chicago 1-20-75 and he is playing In My Time of Dying- because John Paul Jones is using the fretless bass which he didn't use on When the levee breaks.

chicago12075.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

weird cause he's using the Les Paul for slide...perhaps thats from When The Levee Breaks on either the 21st or 20th? i dont hear the Danelectro's tone when i hear When The Levee Breaks, i would have to guess the Les Paul, but at the same time who's to know? this is so cool guys, we are getting down to the brass tacks of all these Zeppelin mysteries !

So are there any pictures from any show of WTLB being performed? Does anyone know what guitar Jimmy used to play Levee live? I always thought Jimmy used the Danelectro to play that song.... Now that I listen to it again, it does sound reminiscent of a Les Paul...

Archived