FAN STABS HIMSELF TO DEATH, BLAMES HEARING DAMAGE FROM THEM CROOKED VULTURES CONCERT

JPJ.jpg

Simone Joyner, Getty Images

A music fan has stabbed himself to death after allegedly being unable to sleep for three months as a result of hearing loss from a concert by Them Crooked Vultures, the group featuring former Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones.

According to Fox News, 52-year old Robert McIndoe claimed to be suffering from severe tinnitus following a London concert by the group, which also includes Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters on drums and Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme.

Reportedly, McIndoe previously tried to end his life via overdose earlier in the month, with his widow Shirley explaining, “He just wanted not to be suffering.” The Daily Mirror quotes his psychiatrist as stating that her patient had “accepted death as a side-effect of stopping the noise.”

This is obviously a tragic story, and if we can get on our soapbox for a minute, please consider wearing earplugs to rock concerts. There’s a variety of very good brands available. Your listening pleasure will not be adversely affected; in fact, you’ll get to enjoy rock and roll for many more years if you take care of your ears!

Well he's not gonna instigate a lawsuit now that he's dead. He got tinnitus - after the gig - perfectly possible and a bloody hellish thing to live with.

Having said that I really do agree with you in general about compensation culture - a blight on our times, it sometimes makes me wonder where it will all end.

them crooked vultures were VERY LOUD in sydney when i saw them, but it was my choice to go the concert, and i could have worn earplugs.

i didn't get tinitus from the concert, but i have had it. i got it after surgery about 20 years ago, and had it for a year or so. it drives you crazy!

but i never once considered killing myself over it ....

This is a tragic case, must be an awful thing to have.

One of the first things that struck me when Zeppelin came onstage at the O2 was how loud they were - they sounded absolutely brutal, which made it all the more awesome. Obviously not so loud that it became a problem like the Lenny Kravitz gig Knebby describes, but just right. I can still remember the shudder I felt from Jason's bass drum during Kashmir!

Some very good points from everyone. I'm just speculating that the individuals family might be using this as an easy target in a possible frivolous lawsuit to sue and gain a lot of cash that they may see as easy. Just remember the satantic suicides back some years ago, I think involved Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne and music by others. Can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure someone can help here. Weird stuff. Seems just after the money for most.

Some very good points from everyone. I'm just speculating that the individuals family might be using this as an easy target in a possible frivolous lawsuit to sue and gain a lot of cash that they may see as easy. Just remember the satantic suicides back some years ago, I think involved Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne and music by others. Can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure someone can help here. Weird stuff. Seems just after the money for most.

Really cheap journalism some "study" will mention that earplugs should become law when attending a rock concert.

Would that be the"suicide solution" court case Superdave?

The issue is if someone is mentally unhinged and goes un-diagnosed, there is a possibility something, anything will set them off. The suicide solution case with Ozzy back in the 80's was an example. It turned out for both Ozzy and also Judas Priest in a similar case that both young adults had a history of mental abnormality before listening or knowing about either artist. They were lucky, America has become a blame oriented society where no one wishes to accept responsibility, and anything which may deviate from the norm (see West Memphis 3) must be rooted out and destroyed. I know this may be a hard pill to swallow, but in 2011 America, if you are not christian and not striving solely for the almighty dollar, you are a deviant. Welcome to the late 17th century redux.

I go to drag races. DRAG RACES. Which are 10 times louder than a concert & I haven't lost any hearing. Even if I did, I wouldn't blame it on anybody but myself. It's my fault I didn't wear ear plugs not their fault because that have a loud car.

I hear you there girl, those "ladies" can get pretty loud. And, if those versions of "I will Survive" don't give you tinnitus nothing will :cheer:

I don't know what the true solution to this really is. Earplugs can help, but don't solve it. People just need to accept responsibility for their own actions. Now if it's a mental or physical problem one may have that may be different. But it wouldn't be a bands fault that this happened because of your condition.

I must have bionic ears...I've been to over 2,000 concerts and haven't suffered any hearing loss at all. I wore earplugs for the first year going to concerts, but from around mid-1973, I've never worn them since. I get my eyes and ears checked annually and miraculously I still have 20/20 vision and perfect hearing.

Do I hearing ringing after a loud show? Yes, but by the next day it's usually gone...2 or 3 days if it was a REALLY LOUD concert like the recent Swans show.

In fact, in all the concerts I've been to, the only show I saw where I sustained physical damage(we'll talk about the mental damage seeing the likes of Creed and Limp Bizkit did later, haha), was the My Bloody Valentine concert at the Santa Monica Civic a couple years ago.

It was so LOUD(as I knew it would be, having seen them back in the day), that it shook a filling loose from my lower back molar. Probably happened during the "noise holocaust" section. I didn't notice until the next day when brushing my teeth I saw a big hole where the filling had been.

But I never once thought about sueing the band over it. The pleasure that show gave me was compensation enough for losing a filling.

I do "feel" for this man's family and friends. It is a very unfortunate situation.

I have had, only twice, hearing problems after a concert....and it was my own fault for not bringing earplugs and/or moving from my location.

Yngve Malmsteen and Alice Cooper. Zep at the 02 was "music to my ears" and didn't seem anywhere near as loud as many other shows I've been to.

As far as there being government regulation, I wholeheartedly disagree. Very very few suffer from problems and it's usually because they are too close to

the speakers and/or they didn't bring earplugs to protect themselves.

As far as lawsuits - people need to think and act for themselves and not hold others responsible for their actions, or lack thereof.

I do "feel" for this man's family and friends. It is a very unfortunate situation.

I have had, only twice, hearing problems after a concert....and it was my own fault for not bringing earplugs and/or moving from my location.

Yngve Malmsteen and Alice Cooper. Zep at the 02 was "music to my ears" and didn't seem anywhere near as loud as many other shows I've been to.

As far as there being government regulation, I wholeheartedly disagree. Very very few suffer from problems and it's usually because they are too close to

the speakers and/or they didn't bring earplugs to protect themselves.

As far as lawsuits - people need to think and act for themselves and not hold others responsible for their actions, or lack thereof.

Well said Dave. Good work! :thumbsup:

It's really unfortunate that the legal system "protects" people and awards huge lawsuits for people who don't

protect themselves.

I'm thinking back to the lady at McDonalds who sued and got millions for spilling hot coffe on herself.

and i repeat she spilled it on herself!!!!

If it wasn't hot she probably would have sued for the coffee not being served hot enough.

It's really unfortunate that the legal system "protects" people and awards huge lawsuits for people who don't

protect themselves.

I'm thinking back to the lady at McDonalds who sued and got millions for spilling hot coffe on herself.

and i repeat she spilled it on herself!!!!

If it wasn't hot she probably would have sued for the coffee not being served hot enough.

So true Dave. That's why we call a lot of these lawyers who base their firms litigation on frivolous claims like this ambulance chasers!

Archived