George Hardie

Driver8

Artist George Hardie recently paid a visit to a private school in Portugal, the Escola Superior de Artes e Design.

He was there for some talks with students, this took place a few days ago on the 14th of December.

Today, an interview with Hardie appears on the Publico newspaper. There is a question journalist Ines Barreto de Faria asks, it's about his cover of Led Zeppelin's 1969 self titled album.

With some help from online translation tools I transcribe Hardie's words here, for the complete article I'm also providing the link to Publico's site.

Q: But your first serious job was the cover of Led Zeppeli's self-titled album…

A: All of this happened because I studied at the Royal College of Art, a very good university. It had many interrelated departments. Storm Thorgerson was at the Film School and asked me to make a lettering for a Jeff Beck album. Then he told me that I had to meet a new band called Led Zeppelin and I did something very good for them, but they rejected it. Jimmy Page asked if it could be with that photograph. So I drew a picture, because I did not know what to do with it. Therefore, I was lucky, and I like luck. But no, it wasn't great design, the bands (themselves) were great.

http://p3.publico.pt...ao-o-designquot

LedZeppelinLedZeppelinalbumcover.jpg

Great to hear George is still active in the arts. About 20 years ago he explained he met with Peter Grant & Jimmy Page prior to their gig at the Marquee in London on October 18, 1968. Jimmy removed the famous photograph from his jacket pocket and explained to George his concept for the first album cover. George said he kept that photo in an envelope marked "G's pension fund" in a safe for many years. If I can find the original interview in my archive I'll post it here.

Great to hear George is still active in the arts. About 20 years ago he explained he met with Peter Grant & Jimmy Page prior to their gig at the Marquee in London on October 18, 1968. Jimmy removed the famous photograph from his jacket pocket and explained to George his concept for the first album cover. George said he kept that photo in an envelope marked "G's pension fund" in a safe for many years. If I can find the original interview in my archive I'll post it here.

I believe the 1937 photograph is already is the public domain? At least it's part of wikipedia commons, credited to Gus Pasquerella,

Hindenburg_burning.jpg

Archived