Prince

Roxie

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the lil' purple guy. I never considered myself a huge fan, but always had an appreciation for him. I decided to check out his show when he played Toronto last month and I was in awe of him. My respect level for him went through the roof after that!

A few vids that I recommend if you are a fan (or not!):

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Guitar Solo

Little Red Corvette - Acoustic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kyw6WE1CQ

Edited by Roxie

I like Prince. I may not know or have heard every song he ever made but I do respect him as a musician and performer. I do think that every song on "Purple Rain" is fantastic. "Darling Nikki" and the "Beautiful Ones" are Great songs. Obviously, Prince is also a big Led Zeppelin fan.

Edited by LZ-ZOSO

Still have a large Prince collection, everything from Purple Rain up to the Crystal Ball album (The vinyl Black Album twice, once a bootleg once the real one)

Favorite records:

Parade

Around the world in a day

The gold experience (imo his last really good album)

Lovesexy

I liked him until he changed his name to O-+>.

In case you haven't heard, he's back to being Prince.

Earlier this year, he played at the LA Forum from April to May...amazing 3-hour shows with all sorts of special guests and multiple encores, including a final encore that often would be a half hour after the house-lights were turned on and most people had already left. I saw 3 of those Forum concerts.

The first time I saw Prince in concert was his infamous opening slot for the Rolling Stones at the LA Coliseum in 1981...naturally, he was boo'd by the heathens.

And just as predictable, the same boors who boo'd and threw shit at him in 1981 were licking his jock 3 years later when Purple Rain came out.

I've seen the tiny dude in concert around 20 times...he's definitely one of the greats. In my mind, he's far superior to Michael Jackson...as a musician and as a performer. I saw both of them in 1984 and Prince's was the much better show.

I saw him December 1979 at Ole Man Rivers,March 1980 at Municiple Auditorium and November 1982 at the Saenger Theater and few times in Miami . He was really great live. He plays so many instruments, but the guitar he is a master at IMHO. I remember going to his old club several times in Miami (South Beach), I think it was called Glam Slam. I still play his music from time to time and love it!!!

Used to like him a lot, but lost interest after Sign o' the Times. Still love Purple Rain, one of my fav gtr solos - although I thought I read somewhere that Wendy played it?

Wendy is great(Wendy and Lisa had a fabulous band years ago called Girl Bros), but that is Prince on the Purple Rain solo.

Okay...now that's some good blues!!!

Have liked Prince from "Little Red Corvette" onward, just would not have considered myself a fan. After seeing these posts/videos (there has been a lot of talk of him on a Fender guitar forum lately too) my "like" is likely to graduate to "fan".

Dang that's good Deborah J!!!! :thumbsup:

I didn't know whether to put this with the blues thread, but this is the Prince thread...awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Prince Live Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ8U6RO9cp0&feature=related

Cool stuff Deborah!

That's a clip from the "Symbol" RAVE un2 the year 2000 DVD.

I suppose it'd be classed as an oldie now,but it's a great performance with the likes of;Larry Graham,Maceo Parker,Lenny Kravitz,George Clinton etc.!

I saw him December 1979 at Ole Man Rivers,March 1980 at Municiple Auditorium and November 1982 at the Saenger Theater and few times in Miami . He was really great live. He plays so many instruments, but the guitar he is a master at IMHO. I remember going to his old club several times in Miami (South Beach), I think it was called Glam Slam. I still play his music from time to time and love it!!!

Wow, very cool Deborah! :thumbsup:

Roxie, I am sure you have this DVD. I watched this yesterday:-) I just wish they would have talked a little more about his blues, but it's a pretty good documentary about his music, his influences(James Brown, Joni Mitchell and a few more)... and his vision. It's actually the Glory Years.

Prince - The Man - The Music - The Same 1-1/2 hrs long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ni_K-zkAxM

MINI-Zozo and Ross62, live he was amazing!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to Roxie for starting this thread:-)

Edited by Deborah J

Well...if the Zeppelin is my favourite band, Prince is by far and away my favourite solo artist. The guy is an out and out genius whose output is so vast that you have to trawl through it very carefully in order to pick out the sporadic gems that appear within it all.

I have seen him play live many, many times since the middle of the 80’s and he has never failed to fully entertain. In 2003 I went to see him the One Night Alone with Prince gig in Hammersmith, London and happened to be wearing an old Led Zep hoodie that evening which I wouldn’t normally have remembered for any reason in particular but can you imagine my surprise when he stormed through a rendition of Whole Lotta Love? A priceless memory :)

^^ Great story 2520zosos :-)

This has a Jeff Beck feel to it to me on guitar, he is truly amazing LIVE

Thanks Deb's

I totally agree, Jeff Beck uses a very similar style of vibrato showcased by Prince on that track.

If sex could be personified then Prince is the man for the job eh!

;)

In case you haven't heard, he's back to being Prince.

Earlier this year, he played at the LA Forum from April to May...amazing 3-hour shows with all sorts of special guests and multiple encores, including a final encore that often would be a half hour after the house-lights were turned on and most people had already left. I saw 3 of those Forum concerts.

The first time I saw Prince in concert was his infamous opening slot for the Rolling Stones at the LA Coliseum in 1981...naturally, he was boo'd by the heathens.

And just as predictable, the same boors who boo'd and threw shit at him in 1981 were licking his jock 3 years later when Purple Rain came out.

I've seen the tiny dude in concert around 20 times...he's definitely one of the greats. In my mind, he's far superior to Michael Jackson...as a musician and as a performer. I saw both of them in 1984 and Prince's was the much better show.

Yeah, I heard they threw cabbages at him. RS fans can be kinda harsh, a few were actually booing Van Halen when I saw them open for the Stones on their '81 tour.