Yardbirds Tour 2012

Jahfin

I remember there being two Foghat's............one with the original drummer and three unknown guys and one with the original singer and the guitar player with two other unknown guys. They were touring at the same time too.

Band names as a brand I guess.

My buddy Screamin' Kenny Blanchard was in John Kay's Steppenwolf in '76, at the time there were two other bands touring as "Steppenwolf." And I couldn't tell you how many bands used to tour the U.S. Southeast as "The Original Drifters", "The Original Ink Spots" and "The Original Coasters" back in the day 30-40 years ago. Nothing new about this phenomena, just ask "The Original Hokum Boys" back in 1936... neither Barbecue Bob, Tampa Red or Half-Pint Jaxon to be found *anywhere*!!!

I got dragged kicking and screaming by a friend to see Steppenwolf in the early 1980's. It was John Kay and a bunch of unknowns. I think by then there was one Steppenwolf at least.............

Probably my favorite was the original singer from Deep Purple who got talked into touring as "Deep Purple" with a bunch of guys who had nothing to do with the original band. Fans rioted, the tour got cancelled and the singer got sued, he ended up losing his royalties for early Purple tunes as a result.

Bad decision to do this.

So the original drummer gets a bunch of guys together and tours as the Yardbirds. The other surviving original member is too sick to go along...............I have no words.

Same thing I was thinking, after I saw the line-up. What is there, like one original member?

I guess it's about holding on to the name for the sake of having people familiarize with the group. I remember Black Sabbath toured with Iommi being the only original member back in the mid-90's when I saw them (sure it happened on previous tours in the 80's)

Lynyrd Skynyrd does it still. There are a good number that take the name till' the end....

• 4 weeks later...

they would have been better off staying as Box of Frogs doing the Yardbirds material as well as the '80's Frogs stuff. But the Yardbird name is still a bigger draw! I really Enjoyed the 2 Box of Frogs albums w/plenty of guests.

I've heard of worse. At one time Molly Hatchet toured with no original members. I'm sure there's plenty of other examples of bands touring without any original members but that's the first one to come to mind.

Hee hee , no original members, that sounds like fun. That does it, next month myself and my 3 best high school buddies are going to tour as Zepp. I hope no one notices that we may look a bit off from 1980 and the fact that two of my friends are drummers! :beat:

So the original drummer gets a bunch of guys together and tours as the Yardbirds. The other surviving original member is too sick to go along...............I have no words.

It's not like Jim McCarty just hired a brand new "bunch of guys" off the street. The band has been reformed for 20 years now, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the lineup has changed over time. Actually, the current lineup is the same as it was in 2009 (before Dreja got sick), and their guitarist has been in the band for 6 years (longer than Clapton, Beck or Page were in the band).

Archived