Professionally filmed Led Zeppelin concerts

Geezer

If it was a mirror, why is his right hand pointed upward? Wouldn't it be his left?

Position and angle?

If it was a video screen why would it be at the same level as the band and behind them? All the video screens I've seen in the pictures from Zep concerts, the screens are much larger and suspended above/in front of the band.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally concluded that the only proshot '77 dates are Seattle and Pontiac. I've thoroughly examined photos of all of the rumored dates but cameras are nowhere to be seen. No cameras = no proshot footage. Also, I have no idea about the Central Park '69 footage. Has it ever been confirmed?

UPDATE

Circulating

TV:

- Miami, Florida, USA @ Thee Image Club (Communication Breakdown promo; the band is miming to the studio version of the song). Exact date and location not confirmed. 8mm B&W

14 March 1969 - Stockholm, Sweden @ Swedish TV (Communication Breakdown promo; the band is miming to the studio version of the song) 8mm B&W

17 March 1969 - Gladsaxe, Denmark @ TV Byen (Danmarks Radio) VIDEOTAPE

25 March 1969 - Staines, England @ Staines Lino Factory (Supershow) 16mm

27 March 1969 - Bremen, Germany @ Beat Club VIDEOTAPE

19 June 1969 - Paris, France @ Tour Le Scene VIDEOTAPE

Shows:

9 January 1970 - London, England @ Royal Albert Hall 16mm

27 July 1973 - New York City, New York, USA @ Madison Square Garden 35mm (mostly) + 16mm

28 July 1973 - New York City, New York, USA @ Madison Square Garden 35mm (mostly) + 16mm

29 July 1973 - New York City, New York, USA @ Madison Square Garden 35mm (mostly) + 16mm

24 May 1975 - London, England @ Earls Court Arena VIDEOTAPE

25 May 1975 - London, England @ Earls Court Arena VIDEOTAPE

17 July 1977 - Seattle, Washington, USA @ The Kingdome VIDEOTAPE

4 August 1979 - Stevenage, England @ Knebworth House Grounds (Knebworth Festival) VIDEOTAPE

11 August 1979 - Stevenage, England @ Knebworth House Grounds (Knebworth Festival) VIDEOTAPE

13 July 1985 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA @ John F. Kennedy Stadium (Live Aid) VIDEOTAPE

14 May 1988 - New York City, New York, USA @ Madison Square Garden (Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary) VIDEOTAPE

12 January 1995 - New York City, New York, USA @ Waldorf Astoria Hotel (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction) VIDEOTAPE

10 December 2007 - London, England @ The O2 Arena (Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert) 1080i HD cameras + Super 8mm

Uncirculating (Confirmed)

21 March 1969 - Shepherds Bush, London, England @ Lime Grove Studios (How Late It Is) -- the show was filmed and aired but the tapes were wiped by the BBC. See this. VIDEOTAPE

4 May 1973 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA @ Atlanta Braves Stadium -- see this and this.

24 July 1973 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA @ Three Rivers Stadium -- test footage for TSRTS.

17 May 1975 - London, England @ Earls Court Arena -- confirmed by photos. VIDEOTAPE

18 May 1975 - London, England @ Earls Court Arena -- confirmed by photos. confirmed by photos

23 May 1975 - London, England @ Earls Court Arena -- confirmed by photos and Kevin Shirley's interview. VIDEOTAPE

30 April 1977 - Pontiac, Michigan, USA @ Pontiac Silverdome -- confirmed by several photos. VIDEOTAPE

5 December 2007 - Shepperton, Surrey, England @ Shepperton Studios (only single-camera footage circulates. The footage shot by the professional cameras was supposedly not recorded.) 1080i HD cameras

Rumored to have been professionally filmed

28 June 1970 - Shepton Mallet, England @ Royal Bath & West Showground (Bath Festival 1970) -- see this

Edited by Geezer

how about soundboard audio? if they were not filmed,maybe they were professionally recorded? the audy recordings are really rough,imo.

That's another matter. I'm pretty sure many concerts were multitracked. Edited by Geezer

Aren't those the stage lights? They look like it. Anyways just because there aren't camera's near the stage or seen by the audience doesn't mean the show wasn't filmed, we've discussed that already. No cameraman on stage or near it in Queens Earls Court Show.

• 4 months later...

I have heard it from several led zep fanatics that the 1977 Oakland show was taped and recorded and is in bill graham's vault and personal collection.if so,i would love to see it released!

Led-Zeppelin-Day-on-the-Green-Oakland-St

how about soundboard audio? if they were not filmed,maybe they were professionally recorded? the audy recordings are really rough,imo.

Bill Graham knew Peter Grant's position on this matter and would not have risked his reputation and their business relationship by violating it. Bill did occasionally film bands but only with consent.

Edited by SteveAJones

Is it possible that Showco taped shows without the consent of the band?

How about the Atlanta show, Sam just posted a picture of a camera man and we all know that it was being projected on to giant screens.

Maybe a second led zeppelin dvd is in the works along with the remasters.

• 8 months later...

Is it possible that Showco taped shows without the consent of the band?

How about the Atlanta show, Sam just posted a picture of a camera man and we all know that it was being projected on to giant screens.

Maybe a second led zeppelin dvd is in the works along with the remasters.

Bet that it's in some hoarders possessions. If only this show and Pontiac came in to circulation

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that the two Knebworth shows were not actually filmed in the traditional sense? Yes there has been bootlegged stuff, but the "official" stuff that was part of the DVD, was what the Showco video cameras captured that were used for the big screen projection at the events. I'm not sure if this really makes a difference, but I don't believe any official filming was done in the way we see it done with more up-to-date concert filming. I suspect that the live projection "filming" was also what we got from Earls Court 1975.

Am I right in thinking that the two Knebworth shows were not actually filmed in the traditional sense? Yes there has been bootlegged stuff, but the "official" stuff that was part of the DVD, was what the Showco video cameras captured that were used for the big screen projection at the events. I'm not sure if this really makes a difference, but I don't believe any official filming was done in the way we see it done with more up-to-date concert filming. I suspect that the live projection "filming" was also what we got from Earls Court 1975.

Correct.

For both Knebworth & Earls Court only the feed to the big screens was actually taped - not the individual footage from however many cameras there were. I suspect just one full colour video machine was expensive(and temperamental) enough to hire back then, let alone four or five.

The cuts between shots on DVD are either what the video editor did in real time on the night, or between footage of the same song on different nights. You can spot this most easily in 'Going to California' where Roberts hair magically changes position from one cut to the next.

Edited by woz70

The Knebworth shows, unlike Earls Court and Seattle, were recorded so every camera recorded to its own tape so alternate angles exist. The mix shown on the video screens were also recorded to tape as well.

I very much doubt the Knebworth shows had a beast of a machine running 2" tape for every camera. If they did we'd have seen a lot of different/unseen footage and angles than was on the bootleg releases. All we actually got was the best (from JP's point of view) bits of the 4th and the 11th edited together. The difficulty they had finding even one machine to play back that format in 2002 is testament to the amount of machines that were actually made to record on 2" tape, in full colour - i.e. not many!

Here's a link to people who still transfer this stuff:

http://www.dcvideo.com/ql-obsolete-2-inch-quad.php

First look at the size of these machines (BIG) then read the 'Features' section :

"Good quality analog video. Mono audio (although some third generation machines had stereo capability). Had a cue channel/time code track. Costly to purchase, operate, and maintain. Required skilled operators."

The fact that the tapes actually survived in a playable form from 1979 to 2002 is miracle enough. I don't really think Zep would have hired more than one of those monsters to record the Knebworth concerts.

Edited by woz70