Professionally filmed Led Zeppelin concerts

Geezer

Apparently there are shows from 1975 and 1977 that were proshot by the in house video recorder, besides the ones that are talked about on sites like these. There was a Proximity issue that said Cincinnatti and Cleveland 77 were recorded to video.

Richfield Colosseum had a video screen

post-27823-0-98793900-1406327673_thumb.j

No.

There are many different alternate angles from the 4th and 11th on the official DVD... if you have a good eye, you will notice some. It isn't as simple as mixing the best of what was shown on the screen, which was the case with Earls Court.

It may well be that bootlegged footage was used in conjunction with the band's own official footage in the making of the DVD, which could explain the many different angles.

An 8mm film was used for a few shots in Rock and Roll and Kashmir (trivia: which has a bit of Hot Dog 8mm film as well), but there are alternate angles from the professional cameras only available on the DVD. More of that 8mm film can be found on the Knebworth menu, where there are more clips of TSRTS, Achilles Last Stand, and Rock and Roll.

Plus, the missing video gap at the end of Whole Lotta Love is filled on the DVD with no 11th footage to support it.

Cleveland 1977 was not professionally shot.

I'm here to back that up, my dad was there at Richfield on April 28th, 2nd row. He says he specifically remembers NOT seeing the jumbo screen on, nor did he see any other cameramen on stage with the band. He's got a few photos from that night and they show that it was just the four of them in stage. So, unfortunately, I can confirm along with LedZepFilm that it was not professionally shot.

post-27574-0-69124300-1406858427_thumb.j

post-27574-0-15867000-1406858459_thumb.j

post-27574-0-01048700-1406858467_thumb.j

post-27574-0-36149600-1406858482_thumb.j

post-27574-0-41145700-1406858489_thumb.j

(Sorry for such low res scans, it wouldn't allow the full sized versions)

And of course the other photos from that night are also proof.

• 2 years later...

I know this is purely speculative, but here I go...

A few days ago, a recently unearthed Deep Purple proshot footage from Lanover, Maryland 76 appeared on youtbe thanks to the offical Purple Channel.

Many fans have stated that back in the day and at that time, pretty much all of the rock concerts by big bands were filmed at the venue. I think this might increase the chances of the Zepp Landover 77 show to have been filmed professionally. Of course, Grant could have denied any prmission, but who knows...This only strenthens the chances IMO.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, bluecongo said:

That's a pro camera what show is this?

FullSizeRender.jpg

I think you're clutching at straws a bit there.  Not big enough to be a video camera.  Looks like a guy taking a stills shot to me.
Also most video cameras would be rested on the right shoulder.

If you look at the clips used to make the Travelling Riverside Blues video and the MTV special in 1990, there all from known existing pro-sources, i.e. Seattle, Earls Court, TSRTS, Danish TV, etc.

Then when the live DVD was released in 2003 I remember Page putting feelers out to bootleggers and people for extra footage. Again all pro footage on the DVD is from concerts we know were taped.

My point is that based on this, anymore pro-footage is 99 per cent not in the bands hands.

Page could have cleared this all up years ago with a straight answer. But he likes to keep fans guessing and the mystery alive.

Edited by Boleskinner

On 11/12/2016 at 4:11 AM, achillestand said:

I know this is purely speculative, but here I go...

A few days ago, a recently unearthed Deep Purple proshot footage from Lanover, Maryland 76 appeared on youtbe thanks to the offical Purple Channel.

Many fans have stated that back in the day and at that time, pretty much all of the rock concerts by big bands were filmed at the venue. I think this might increase the chances of the Zepp Landover 77 show to have been filmed professionally. Of course, Grant could have denied any prmission, but who knows...This only strenthens the chances IMO.

Most of the Day On The Green concerts in Oakland were also professionally filmed--but NOT Led Zeppelin, and that is because Peter Grant did not permit anyone he didn't hire to film them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, therocker68 said:

Earl's Court 17th and 18th May 1975 were also filmed.

All the EC shows were videotaped, for the big screens so that those at the back could see something.

47 minutes ago, JTM said:

All the EC shows were videotaped, for the big screens so that those at the back could see something.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question but...was the band actually taped for projection screens , or were the images just simply projected?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2012 at 1:01 PM, Geezer said:

Another question:

MSG 1973 July concerts: Excellent video and audio quality

Knebworth 1979 concerts: Atrocious video and audio quality

WHY??? Logically, the quality of the Knebworth shows must be higher (due to technological advancements).

The difference in quality regarding the various Zeppelin shows filmed and released (officially and otherwise) is largely due to what they were filmed on;

Videotape - Earl's Court '75, Seattle (and Pontiac, if it exists) '77, Knebworth '79.

16mm film - Royal Albert Hall '70, backstage footage MSG '73.

35mm film - Onstage footage MSG '73 (plus the accompanying fantasy sequences in that film).

It's also why TSRTS  has been released in the hi-def format of Blu ray and DVD  hasn't; videotape simply doesn't have the resolution to be upgraded to HD.  Regarding the latter release, I wish Jimmy had released the full Knebworth show (no doubt almost entirely from the 4/8/79 show) on that disc, left the MSG '73 footage for the remastered TSRTS, and just not included the Earl's Court '75 footage in the first place, saving that legendary run for an audio live album at some point in the future (God willing!)... just my own humble opinion, of course.

12 hours ago, kayley10 said:

We need to see Earls Court and particularly Knebworth released in full.

A best-of Earl's Court album/release would be KILLER.  Even if it's just from the 24th/25th.  The first 1/3 of the 25th is spectacular stuff.  The band is on FIRE.  You could mix up the middle 1/3 with both nights (NQ and TU would undoubtedly be taken from the 24th), then end it with the D&C and STH from the 24th with the encores from the 25th. 

That's a long, HEAVY, and at times BRILLIANT compilation of live music/performances.

So:

RnR - 5/25

SA - 5/25

OTHAFA - 5/25

IMTOD - 5/25

TSRTS - 5/25

TRS - 5/25

K - 5/24

NQ - 5/24 (Definitive version)

Tangerine - 5/24

GTC - 5/24

TTW - 5/24

BYStomp - 5/25

TU - 5/24 (Definitive version)

MD - 5/25

D&C - 5/24

STH - 5/24 (Definitive version)

WLL/BD - 5/25

H - 5/25

CB - 5/25

A couple of these picks could be easily switched... If Page ever put something like this out it would be an amazing live release.  I'll even just take the audio of it.

7 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

A best-of Earl's Court album/release would be KILLER.  Even if it's just from the 24th/25th.  The first 1/3 of the 25th is spectacular stuff.  The band is on FIRE.  You could mix up the middle 1/3 with both nights (NQ and TU would undoubtedly be taken from the 24th), then end it with the D&C and STH from the 24th with the encores from the 25th. 

That's a long, HEAVY, and at times BRILLIANT compilation of live music/performances.

So:

RnR - 5/25

SA - 5/25

OTHAFA - 5/25

IMTOD - 5/25

TSRTS - 5/25

TRS - 5/25

K - 5/24

NQ - 5/24 (Definitive version)

Tangerine - 5/24

GTC - 5/24

TTW - 5/24

BYStomp - 5/25

TU - 5/24 (Definitive version)

MD - 5/25

D&C - 5/24

STH - 5/24 (Definitive version)

WLL/BD - 5/25

H - 5/25

CB - 5/25

A couple of these picks could be easily switched... If Page ever put something like this out it would be an amazing live release.  I'll even just take the audio of it.

Absolutely, I agree with this... however, there are many clams especially with Roberts vocals, and Jimmy,  which would have to be fixed.  I doubt they would sign off on mistakes being put out there officially, especially Robert. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, porgie66 said:

Absolutely, I agree with this... however, there are many clams especially with Roberts vocals, and Jimmy,  which would have to be fixed.  I doubt they would sign off on mistakes being put out there officially, especially Robert. 

Very true.  I don't expect it to ever happen... but it could/would be monumental if it did.  And I've said it many times before... why won't Jimmy release audio of STH and TU from the 24th?!  They are INCREDIBLE versions.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:06 AM, therocker68 said:

There is a copy of Record Collector magazine where Dave Lewis does a imaginary Earl's Court complete album with the songs,dates and why he chose those specific ones.I will try and dig it out if you have not seen it and put some scans up.It is really interesting.

I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

almost all fans of the led zeppelin dont know the truth about the group

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i want that you know that a documentary from the decade of 90 that i have really have some seconds of professional shot that
crearly was filmed in the american tour of 75 and this indicates that the group filmed at that time that is good
and thank you.

almost all fans of the led zeppelin dont know the truth about the group

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i want that you know that some shows before the shows in New York in 73 were filmed and this i confirmed
in articles written by journalists who covered these shows
and thank you.