Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geezer

Professionally filmed Led Zeppelin concerts

413 posts in this topic

Apparently there are shows from 1975 and 1977 that were proshot by the in house video recorder, besides the ones that are talked about on sites like these. There was a Proximity issue that said Cincinnatti and Cleveland 77 were recorded to video.

Richfield Colosseum had a video screen

post-27823-0-98793900-1406327673_thumb.j

Cleveland 1977 was not professionally shot.

If there aren't any first hand accounts of the screens being on during the show, the chances it was filmed are slim.

No.

There are many different alternate angles from the 4th and 11th on the official DVD... if you have a good eye, you will notice some. It isn't as simple as mixing the best of what was shown on the screen, which was the case with Earls Court.

It may well be that bootlegged footage was used in conjunction with the band's own official footage in the making of the DVD, which could explain the many different angles.

An 8mm film was used for a few shots in Rock and Roll and Kashmir (trivia: which has a bit of Hot Dog 8mm film as well), but there are alternate angles from the professional cameras only available on the DVD. More of that 8mm film can be found on the Knebworth menu, where there are more clips of TSRTS, Achilles Last Stand, and Rock and Roll.

Plus, the missing video gap at the end of Whole Lotta Love is filled on the DVD with no 11th footage to support it.

In my opinion Houston "77 may be a better performance than Listen To This Eddie. Bonham was on fire!!

Cleveland 1977 was not professionally shot.

I'm here to back that up, my dad was there at Richfield on April 28th, 2nd row. He says he specifically remembers NOT seeing the jumbo screen on, nor did he see any other cameramen on stage with the band. He's got a few photos from that night and they show that it was just the four of them in stage. So, unfortunately, I can confirm along with LedZepFilm that it was not professionally shot.

post-27574-0-69124300-1406858427_thumb.j

post-27574-0-15867000-1406858459_thumb.j

post-27574-0-01048700-1406858467_thumb.j

post-27574-0-36149600-1406858482_thumb.j

post-27574-0-41145700-1406858489_thumb.j

(Sorry for such low res scans, it wouldn't allow the full sized versions)

And of course the other photos from that night are also proof.

I know this is purely speculative, but here I go...

A few days ago, a recently unearthed Deep Purple proshot footage from Lanover, Maryland 76 appeared on youtbe thanks to the offical Purple Channel.

Many fans have stated that back in the day and at that time, pretty much all of the rock concerts by big bands were filmed at the venue. I think this might increase the chances of the Zepp Landover 77 show to have been filmed professionally. Of course, Grant could have denied any prmission, but who knows...This only strenthens the chances IMO.

4 hours ago, bluecongo said:

That's a pro camera what show is this?

FullSizeRender.jpg

I think you're clutching at straws a bit there.  Not big enough to be a video camera.  Looks like a guy taking a stills shot to me.
Also most video cameras would be rested on the right shoulder.

Posted (edited)

If you look at the clips used to make the Travelling Riverside Blues video and the MTV special in 1990, there all from known existing pro-sources, i.e. Seattle, Earls Court, TSRTS, Danish TV, etc.

Then when the live DVD was released in 2003 I remember Page putting feelers out to bootleggers and people for extra footage. Again all pro footage on the DVD is from concerts we know were taped.

My point is that based on this, anymore pro-footage is 99 per cent not in the bands hands.

Page could have cleared this all up years ago with a straight answer. But he likes to keep fans guessing and the mystery alive.

Edited by Boleskinner

On 11/12/2016 at 4:11 AM, achillestand said:

I know this is purely speculative, but here I go...

A few days ago, a recently unearthed Deep Purple proshot footage from Lanover, Maryland 76 appeared on youtbe thanks to the offical Purple Channel.

Many fans have stated that back in the day and at that time, pretty much all of the rock concerts by big bands were filmed at the venue. I think this might increase the chances of the Zepp Landover 77 show to have been filmed professionally. Of course, Grant could have denied any prmission, but who knows...This only strenthens the chances IMO.

Most of the Day On The Green concerts in Oakland were also professionally filmed--but NOT Led Zeppelin, and that is because Peter Grant did not permit anyone he didn't hire to film them.

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

--but NOT Led Zeppelin

Mr. Graham did it - the source of many a scuffle