NBA season Shorter than usual but its here

LedZeppfan77

The concenus is Miami or Chicago to come out of the East and either Oklahoma City, Dallas or maybe the Lakers to come out of the West. Portland and the Clippers are both much improved and can make some noise in the West. I believe the Philadelphia 767ers are a team to really watch out for in the East. The knicks have a better roster but have not played well as a unit. Anyone have any thoughts? Or give a damn for that matter? I guess I would have to pick a Miami vs Oklahoma City final right now. But if there are upsetters I have mentioned a few.

As for college, how about those Orange? Number one and unbeaten.

I'm a big Los Angeles Laker fan...from 1969, so I'm no recent bandwagon jumper...and therefore I'm a big NBA fan. Football's my #1, NBA my #2.

But to tell you the truth, I liked the fact the season didn't start until Christmas. There's no way the owners would give up the money a shortened season would mean, but I kind of wish every season started on Christmas. October is too early...I'm knee-deep in college and the NFL, so I thought the lockout was great this year.

Because of the lockout and the shortened season, it's added an element of surprise to the game...at least to the Western Conference. In the East, it's pretty much Chicago and Miami, that's it. Sorry Orlando, no soup for you.

But the West is wide open.

Still, it is weird looking at the Lakers bench and not seeing Phil Jackson over there...and Tex Winter and Brian Shaw and Jim Cleamons...

Let's just say after over 30 years of great ownership by Jerry Buss, I have serious doubts about his son, Jim, taking over.

I'm a big Los Angeles Laker fan...from 1969, so I'm no recent bandwagon jumper...and therefore I'm a big NBA fan. Football's my #1, NBA my #2.

But to tell you the truth, I liked the fact the season didn't start until Christmas. There's no way the owners would give up the money a shortened season would mean, but I kind of wish every season started on Christmas. October is too early...I'm knee-deep in college and the NFL, so I thought the lockout was great this year.

Because of the lockout and the shortened season, it's added an element of surprise to the game...at least to the Western Conference. In the East, it's pretty much Chicago and Miami, that's it. Sorry Orlando, no soup for you.

But the West is wide open.

Still, it is weird looking at the Lakers bench and not seeing Phil Jackson over there...and Tex Winter and Brian Shaw and Jim Cleamons...

Let's just say after over 30 years of great ownership by Jerry Buss, I have serious doubts about his son, Jim, taking over.

My favorite team of all time was that 70 Lakers team with Wilt and Jerry West that won 33 in a row. A record that will never fall IMO. And my two fav players of all time were West and Barry. The old Buffalo Braves were my fav team also. But were not around long. Its hard to believe Rochester, my home town owns an NBA title. The Sacramento Kings are the old Rochester Royals. There is alot of hype for the lakers and Clippers game coming up. The best team the Clippers have ever put on the court no doubt. I think two teams with alot of heart are the 76ers and the T Wolves. Not going far but will surprise you often. Maybe Golden State too.

^^^That 69-13 LA Laker team with Jerry West and Wilt that won 33 in a row and beat the Knicks for the NBA title was the 1971-72 team, not 1970.

It was the Lakers first title in LA after being so close so many times losing to the Celtics. Just a month after the Lakers won the championship in May 1972, I started going to my first rock concerts, and my first Led Zeppelin concert was also my first concert at the Fabulous Forum of Inglewood: June 25, 1972.

I was almost as excited at being in the arena where Jerry West and Gail Goodrich played as I was at seeing the band.

^^^That 69-13 LA Laker team with Jerry West and Wilt that won 33 in a row and beat the Knicks for the NBA title was the 1971-72 team, not 1970.

It was the Lakers first title in LA after being so close so many times losing to the Celtics. Just a month after the Lakers won the championship in May 1972, I started going to my first rock concerts, and my first Led Zeppelin concert was also my first concert at the Fabulous Forum of Inglewood: June 25, 1972.

I was almost as excited at being in the arena where Jerry West and Gail Goodrich played as I was at seeing the band.

I am always a year or two off when it comes to these things but I remember it like it was yesterday. Remember those classic battles betwen Kareem or Lew Alcinder or whatever he was calling himself and Wilt? Wilt got the best of him even though he was older. Him and Shaq were probably both about as horrendous from the line. At least Kareem could shoot free throws but I still would take Wilt. Jerry West and Rick Barry are my all time favorites. I also loved Ernie DiGreggorio from the old Bravess.

Well a big statement win for the Clippers last night over the Lakers. The Clippers are the second choice in the West to go to the finals behind Okla City. I bet the Clippers with the LA Kings and made a good hit.

The 76ers are on fire. I have only lost once with them. And it was because they had to play three nights in a row. Something all teams will do due to the shortened season. Good team. Probably not good enough to knock off Miami or Chicago but clearly the third best team in the East.

Strider, did you say Tex Watson is on the Lakers bench??? Holy sh!t!

I'm not that big of an NBA fan these days - was a HUGE fan in the 80's/early 90's.....76'ers at that!

Hope the Magic do well for the local businesses, it makes downtown more exciting! Like the Knicks currently due to 'melo being with them....

Strider, did you say Tex Watson is on the Lakers bench??? Holy sh!t!

Err, no. Tex WINTER...you know, the creator of the "Triangle offense" and Phil Jackson's guru and right-hand man? I was saying how strange and disorienting it is now not to see those familiar coaching faces on the Lakers bench: Phil, Tex, Shaw, Cleamons...they're all gone.

Clippers definitely made a statement last night. Man, 7 hours of football followed by 2 hours of basketball. I'm almost sport-fatigued today. That's why I'm not really paying attention to the Baltimore game...I'm saving my strength for the Packers-Giants game.

What a joke last nights Lakers vs Mavs game was. They went about ten minutes without hitting a basket in the third period. The worst shooting I have ever witnessed by two supposedly good teams. I say both are toast. Okla City, the Cippers, maybe a team like Denver or Utah? Someone will win the West that is not a usual finalist. My surprise team if you want to call them that in the East would be Philly. The 76ers are on fire.

At least the Lakers won...Derek Fisher rises from the dead yet again.

But though it may appear the Mavs and Lakers are toast, I'm not ready to write them off just yet. Let's wait til the playoffs, where the game changes, before writing team obituaries.

At least the Lakers won...Derek Fisher rises from the dead yet again.

But though it may appear the Mavs and Lakers are toast, I'm not ready to write them off just yet. Let's wait til the playoffs, where the game changes, before writing team obituaries.

I understand what you are saying. But I will write them off now. The Clippers proved they can beat them in a big game. Time is catching up with teams like the Lakers and Celtics. Especially the Celtics who got their butts handed to them last night capping off a nice four team parlay I had starting with one of my sleepers to go deep. The sixers. Barcklay does not think Okla City is good enough yet to beat the Lakers. Hogwash I say. Even though they are a perimiter team, they can shoot the daylights out of them. Ill take Durant and the Thunder. But the Clippers will get better. Utah is kind of a mystery. Denver is good at times. I would not write off Dirk yet. But I do not think the Lakers can get to the finals.

The other thing that will tell the tale is what happens at the trading deadline. Lakers have often pulled off a great trade in the past...let's see if they can do it this year. If not, then yes, as presently constituted, the Lakers are a little creaky and making the Finals would be a tough task.

The other thing that will tell the tale is what happens at the trading deadline. Lakers have often pulled off a great trade in the past...let's see if they can do it this year. If not, then yes, as presently constituted, the Lakers are a little creaky and making the Finals would be a tough task.

Like Ernie or Kenny on TSN said the other night, if they wind up somehow getting Dwight Howard, its all over. They would be the automatic favorites. And in my book the NY Yankees of basketball. I hope it never happens. But I do think Howard is headiing somewhere. If he were to go to Philly, look out. I think Philly is a sleeper anyway. Great team. Utah and Denver are both capable of pulling it off in the West and so too the Clippers. Dallas cant be taken lightly but Dirk has to do it all. Now they have Odom but I do not know if that will matter. Portland also must be considered and Barclay says so far they are the best he has seen. He sure is entertaining. I say the Sixers will give Chicago and Miami all they can handle. But Miami probably will wind up in the finals.

The Magic have now won 7 in a row! My son (who's 8) and I were fortunate enough to get courtside seats for this past Tuesday's game vs the Bobcats. Great game and lots of fun, it was his first NBA game ever! Some Magic personnel asked him if he wanted to stand with the players during the national anthem. He was right in front of Howard.... The experience has renewed my interest in the league.

The Magic have now won 7 in a row! My son (who's 8) and I were fortunate enough to get courtside seats for this past Tuesday's game vs the Bobcats. Great game and lots of fun, it was his first NBA game ever! Some Magic personnel asked him if he wanted to stand with the players during the national anthem. He was right in front of Howard.... The experience has renewed my interest in the league.

How great for you and your son...too bad you didn't get them for last night's game against the Lakers. Imagine the joy you would have had watching the Magic thump the Lakers in person. ;)

This season can't end soon enough...it's going to be a nightmare.

P.S. Metta World Peace should change his name to Make A Basket Please. And really, what chance do we have for World Peace when it cannot even crack the starting line-up for the Lakers?

Nobody but Chicago can even put up a fight against Miami in the East. I thought Philly would give them a fight yesterday. The Knicks are a joke. I thought they actually were going to win and Denver beat them. Denver is a sleeper in the West along with Portland I know Carmello is not 100 % but I wonder how long their coach can survive this?

Archived