TSRTS versions of No Quarter

Pez_Fartola

how many other versions are there of No Quarter that have the organ solo that sounds like the one on the TSRTS soundtrack and what concerts are they from? i'm thinking there are around 5 other versions that sound like that but i can't remember which shows they're from.

The TSRTS version of "No Quarter" is a hodgepodge compiled from all three dates Zeppelin played in New York in '73. ALL official versions are edited. See here:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt7.html

Generally speaking, if you like the TSRTS version of NQ, pretty much any 1973 performance of the song will work for you. The early 1975 performances (i.e. Chicago 20 or 22 January '75) were fairly similar, with slightly longer solos. As the tour progressed -John Paul Jones started using a grand piano as opposed to the Fender Rhodes in Baton Rouge on Feb 28 '75- the keyboard and guitar solo sections got longer, some of which such as Seattle and Vancouver feature a KILLER (IMO) jazzy type groove. By 1977 the tune was arguably the centerpiece of the show, featuring a loooooong grand piano solo, which evolved into a three or four minute jam which varied from night to night (50's type boogie, slow blues, shuffle, and even a rendition of the "Nutrocker" -a rock and roll version of "The Nutcracker Suite"- on occasion!) which gave way to another loooooooong guitar solo. Most of the '73 versions clocked in around 13 mins or so, like on TSRTS; 20-25 mins on average in '75, while most '77 performances hit the 30 minute mark, if not more some nights. YMMV..."No Quarter" is, along with "Achilles Last Stand" my favourite Zeppelin song (thaks to the SRTS version- Page's best solo IMO), so naturally I prefer the '77 versions.

Boston 7/20/73, the 7/18/73 show in Canada, Rhode Island 7/21/73 and even the 1/12/75 Brussels show all have the version i'm thinking of in which when the organ solo starts it has the creepy droning type notes. it's hard for me to explain it because i don't know much about music in that way but hopefully you guys will know what i'm talking about. i have the 1/12/75, 7/20/73, 7/21/73 shows as well as the 3 MSG 1973 shows but i really need to get a copy of the 7/18/73 as it is one of my favorite performances of No Quarter with the organ solo i like so much.

The TSRTS version of "No Quarter" is a hodgepodge compiled from all three dates Zeppelin played in New York in '73. ALL official versions are edited. See here:

http://www.thegarden...co.uk/tgt7.html

Generally speaking, if you like the TSRTS version of NQ, pretty much any 1973 performance of the song will work for you. The early 1975 performances (i.e. Chicago 20 or 22 January '75) were fairly similar, with slightly longer solos. As the tour progressed -John Paul Jones started using a grand piano as opposed to the Fender Rhodes in Baton Rouge on Feb 28 '75- the keyboard and guitar solo sections got longer, some of which such as Seattle and Vancouver feature a KILLER (IMO) jazzy type groove. By 1977 the tune was arguably the centerpiece of the show, featuring a loooooong grand piano solo, which evolved into a three or four minute jam which varied from night to night (50's type boogie, slow blues, shuffle, and even a rendition of the "Nutrocker" -a rock and roll version of "The Nutcracker Suite"- on occasion!) which gave way to another loooooooong guitar solo. Most of the '73 versions clocked in around 13 mins or so, like on TSRTS; 20-25 mins on average in '75, while most '77 performances hit the 30 minute mark, if not more some nights. YMMV..."No Quarter" is, along with "Achilles Last Stand" my favourite Zeppelin song (thaks to the SRTS version- Page's best solo IMO), so naturally I prefer the '77 versions.

i really need to checkout the 1/20/75 and 1/22/75 versions of No Quarter if they are similar to the ones i like so much. 1977 is one of my favorite tours as well.

i really need to checkout the 1/20/75 and 1/22/75 versions of No Quarter if they are similar to the ones i like so much. 1977 is one of my favorite tours as well.

Those are good 'uns (I prefer 22 Jan) but IMO June 11 (New York), June 21 and June 23 (both LA) 1977 are the granddaddies of all versions of "No Quarter". Throw in April 28 in Cleveland for a "Nutrocker" performance. Hell, April 19 in Cincinatti Jones & Bonham even throw in a quick taste of "Lady Madonna" by The Beatles in the jam...

http://www.thegarden...co.uk/tgt7.html

Totally concur with the following shows listed. Nutrocker's right; both Seattle and Vancouver had really jazzy jams. The 1975 version of No Quarter are the best IMO. I personally don't care for the 1977 lounge jam section. Some really good 1975 versions would include;

Uniondale 2/14/75

Baton Rouge 2/28/75

Seattle 3/17/75

Vancouver 3/19/75

Inglewood 3/25/75 had a very good jazzy "On-the-Journey" section. All of the Inglewood dates, 3/24, 3/25, and esp. 3/27/75. It was the longest version of the tour.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the "NQ" from 6/27/77, longest version, and my fav of all the no quarter guitar solos. Robert dropping the mic towards the end is the only down moment of the song for me.

I agree! Awesome guitar jam and the end of the jam section features some "tight but loose" guitar/drum breaks.

• 3 years later...
On 1/14/2012 at 9:33 PM, Nutrocker said:

Those are good 'uns (I prefer 22 Jan) but IMO June 11 (New York), June 21 and June 23 (both LA) 1977 are the granddaddies of all versions of "No Quarter". Throw in April 28 in Cleveland for a "Nutrocker" performance. Hell, April 19 in Cincinatti Jones & Bonham even throw in a quick taste of "Lady Madonna" by The Beatles in the jam...

I don't know if you can call them the granddaddies of all No Quarters, but you could call them the fat, bloated overweight children grandfathered by the incredibly raw and totally awesome 4 minute outtake of  what could be the very first time they played it found on the rehearsal boots.

Most all of Zeps Live Official releases are "Frankenversions" but I did learn that No Quarter from the 1st TSRTS record was unmolested. So I really like that one.

HTWWW is has had more "work" done on it than all the Kardashiens combined Bruce Jenner included but the end result is infinitely better.

The real charm of the boots is that it's an authentic document , warts and all. Sometimes beauty is flawed. 

7/29 from the Grand Finale disc is pretty good too. I prefer the long versions from 77 (when the band hits their cues on time). Winston did a remaster of 7/27 but I haven't listened to it enough to comment.

My easy favorite is 6/23/77 and 6/25/77 doesn't get enough love IMO

14 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Most all of Zeps Live Official releases are "Frankenversions" but I did learn that No Quarter from the 1st TSRTS record was unmolested. So I really like that one.

This surprises me. The extended intro into the instrumental bit from the original is brilliant. WHY was that cut if it was all from the one night??!?!?!?!?!?!! That amazes me. I wish there was a mix where the original extended intro was on there, AND the horrible edits to raise RP's voice was scrubbed (as in the 2nd release). Best of both worlds!!!!

Archived