Wikipedia Shuts Down Over Piracy Bill

Reggie29

The major fallacy in these anti-piracy arguments, and the disgusting treatment yesterday of Megaupload and all those who have posted their own material there and now no longer have access to it, is the assertion that illegal downloads constitute loss of revenue to the money-grabbing bastards in the music and film industries.

Wrong. I've downloaded a ton of material over the years, copyrighted and non-copyrighted. 90% of it I haven't even watched or listened to yet, and probably never will. But the point is that if I hadn't DL'd it, there's no way I'd have bought it - none of it. And I suspect the same is true of most DL'ers.

These pigs have taken the piss out of us all for decades now, with their obscenely high prices, profit margins, and endless reissues of classic albums with a couple of new outtakes etc. Christ, look at the Nirvana box set a few years ago - I coughed up for that, then a couple of weeks later they released a single CD version, with an extra track that wasn't on the box set. I believe Springsteen set the trend for this way back in the 90s. Yeah, you're a really great guy, Bruce - but even the worthiest of artists are first in line when there's an extra buck to be screwed out of the common man. So now it's payback time, and they only have themselves to blame.

Next thing we know, it will become illegal even to lend CDs or DVDs to friends. Or they'll introduce some kind of fingerprint or iris-recognition technology, to prevent more than 4 people from watching or listening to each copy of a DVD or CD.

Thank god for Anonymous. Hey US govt, stick to busting your own citizens, and keep your filthy hands off our world.

I'd certainly agree that the amounts we see listed as "being lost to piracy" are a gross fabrication for those reasons.

The kinds of amounts they've been able to sue individuals who's just DLed a handful of tracks for are just obscene aswell. If I say steal $10 worth of goods from a shop the largest civil case I'm likely to face is a few hundred, I DL $10 worth music on the other hand and I could be sued for tens of thousands. So a crime where theres a much less obvious loss of goods has a punishment hundreds of times worse, not doubt the result of years of lobbying in the shadows creating broad legislation free to deliberate misinterpretation which wasnt highlighted in this fashion.

That we've seen such ruthless actions by the RIAA does I'd say make it pretty clear that any new law there likely to make use of needs to be very well defined to prevent this kind of thing, not to mention the potential for copywrite cases being a cover for the surpression of unwanted polituical views on the net Chinese style.

SOPA's dead. House Republican Majority Leader Eric Cantor and Darrell Issa, Chairman of the Government Oversight Committee, killed it. It will never make it to the floor of the House of Representatives.

To his credit, the President has stated he would veto it if it arrived on his desk.

• 3 weeks later...

SOPA, like most things in life, had it's ups and downs.....I only consider the music aspect of it and not the bill in it's entirety.....

If it went through and all unlicensed videos were pulled imagine the impact.....Every cover band out there would lose all of their material.

Thousands of websites, including mine and this awesome site, put the embed codes in their sites so that viewers can see youtube videos....

SOPA would have given the government the right to basically take down all of YouTube which in itself I would consider criminal......

And Jason Bonham would have never found James Dylan for the JBLZE project if it weren't for youtube and "criminal" uploads....

I could go on and on about this, but I have a very busy day ahead!

Archived