Talked to Audrey Hamilton today......

Finally tracked down the famous "Hot Dog" Audrey Hamilton today. I always wanted to hear her story. I started researching and was finally able to track her down, still living in Texas. I sent her an e-mail and really did not expect to hear back from her. Today, as soon as I arrived at band practice, my cell rings....... (band practice was delayed) It was Audrey.

She was more than happy to answer my questions, and really made me feel at ease. Audrey told me she was 20 years young when she met one of the band's roadies at a Dallas nightclub. She told me that the band (or at least) Robert was in Dallas weeks before the tour kicked off. Audrey had met a roadie at a Dallas blues bar, who would invite Audrey to meet the band at their hotel. When she met Robert at the hotel, the two hit it off immediately. She was invited to “go on the road” by Robert. She spoke of a night aboard the chariot that involved her and Plant locked in a room, while outside, security had taken the clothes of several “female guests”. She spoke of the famous photos and cleared up some of the locations of the famous pics of her with Page/Plant. The "SS" hat pic was on a flight after the Chicago shows, and the outside black and white Plant pics were taken in Chicago as well. The pics of her in the limo with Plant and Grant were from the Cincinnati show. She was with the band all the way through the tour. She was actually out shopping with a Dennis Sheehan, (who would later become U2’s tour manager) when the news of Plant's son got to the band. When she arrived back to the hotel, Plant was gone, and Audrey was on her way home. I asked what happened to the romance, and she told me that after that tour she began to date a close friend of Plant's. This upset Robert. I asked if they continued to talk after the 77' tour, and she said they did, but she was not going to "wait around" for him. We both laughed about that. She still to this day has a few rings of his among other items.

It did pull at the heart strings a little when she said, " I should have waited, I don't know." She said they talked for a while in the 80's and she did confirm that "Hot Dog" was written for her. She was fully aware of the heavy drugs on that tour, and when I asked about Jimmy, she just said: "Jimmy was a full blown heroin addict." She told me that Bonzo was very serious and stern when he told her aboard the first flight: "DON'T LEAVE MY SIDE" and "Be very careful" She didn't seem to keen on John Paul Jones, and said the feeling was mutual. She went as far to say that Jones "hated" her, and called her a "home-wrecker" She told me the only time Plant asked her not to walk off the plane with him was when they got to NY. There was a very strong feeling from talking with her that the romance was very real, and very passionate. Funny story from the interview was her recollection of Jimmy's obsession with transvestites. She said Robert would point out the transvestites hanging around Jimmy’s suite while on the tour. (Royal Orleans)???

She said there may have been some tension coming from the other members due to the time Plant was spending with her, instead of hanging with the band. She told me about her daughter who's father is Ace Frehley, and how after she was born her "rock n roll" lifestyle stopped. She also confirmed she was in an open marriage at the time of the affair with Robert. She did not recall the "drink throwing" story that had her throwing a drink on Page's face in 1983. She then said, "well, I could have done it. who knows." My favorite part of the interview was her telling me that she would throw a rose on stage during "Going to California" and Plant would ask her to trim the thorns off before doing so. Plant would always put the rose in his pants, and wanted to avoid injury. Audrey told me the band would pick a “base city” and usually fly back and forth between shows.

Audrey continues to live in Texas, and has considered co-writing a book with other girls from the era. Such a nice person to talk with. She is going to try and get me some pics from her collection that would be interesting to see. If anyone has any pics, stories, questions for Audrey, please let me know. I will do the best I can to help. ..

post-18981-0-49254800-1327112472.jpg

post-18981-0-71977100-1327112461.jpeg

post-18981-0-06406800-1327112527.jpg

Edited by admin

Wow! I have been SO curious to know what happened to her and what she looks like now. I always wondered if she kept in touch with Plant and still went to his shows. I would LOVE to see what pics she has to share.

Very interesting. Not sure about the Jimmy wine -throwing story. I know Jimmy threw a glass of wine over journalist John Blake in 1983. Was there a lot of wine-throwing going on that year? :)

Oh and Ace Frehley ? Yuk!!!!!

Yeah she looks lovely. So does Audrey :)

Yes they do. Like Pamela, she seems to have passed through the looking-glass of that world and made it back to the other side relatively unscathed. I guess it matters how strong you are going in to begin with.

Some of the weaker ones get lost and end up swallowed alive by the scene. For others, it's just a lark, a fun phase of their lives that they eventually grow up and move on from.

Good for Audrey that she didn't succumb like some of the others.

Great read! I'm curious Audrey's thoughts of the 3rd leg of that tour: Seattle, Tempe, Oakland. Lots of momentum lost from the great LA shows that ended the 2nd leg three weeks earlier, and by all accounts of what we have bootleg-wise (including Seattle DVD), they weren't very good shows (although the people who attended the shows thought they were good).

And, specific to Tempe, did she think that show was as bad as claimed?

Thank you for sharing. I kind of understand JPJ's position but by this point, wasn't this kind of behavior standard practice?

Wasn't she also in an affair with Jimmy?

I asked that question, no romance with Page. She said that was a big "no no" Edited by HotDogAudrey

Oh I bet. Many have done the deed with Jimmy. Isn't he irrestiable or something? Can I have some confirmation?

well, until reading this thread, i hadn't heard that jimmy and audrey were supposed to have been together. i mean, just because of that photo?

i think the thread starter has said that audrey stated that it was a romance betwen them, she wasn't a BAND groupie.

well, until reading this thread, i hadn't heard that jimmy and audrey were supposed to have been together. i mean, just because of that photo?

i think the thread starter has said that audrey stated that it was a romance betwen them, she wasn't a BAND groupie.

But come on this is Jimmy Page