STRIDER'S 1977 TOUR THREAD

Strider

Ok, well, in a hasty effort to fill the time whilst Strider recovers from his viscious work week, here's my brief recollections of the June 23rd show I attended.

Haha...I believe this makes us even after my 'vadgeholder' typo.

I had thought you were at the June 23 show I was at, but wasn't 100% certain. Frankly, I consider anyone who was at those 6 Forum shows a Badgeholder.

Had the same reaction to Keith Moon as you...why isn't Cole or Bindon tackling this guy? Took me a while to recognize it was Keith the Looney.

The concert was already epic enough but at that point when Moon showed up, the EPIC AURA of the show shot up into the stratosphere and beyond.

^^^

Very wise, indeed, Rick! And how fortunate you were to catch one of the good Landover shows! The only Landover I've heard from the 1977 tour is the "Bringing the House Down" soundboard, which is the May 26 show, and it is dreadful. I've heard people say bad things about the 28th concert as well, but apparently everyone agrees the May 30th was the best of the four Landover nights.

Not only had I heard about the Tampa riot, but others as well. Just like in 1975, there would be periodic reports about violence at a Led Zeppelin concert as the tour marched across the country. There was violence in Miami on April 17 when tickets went on sale...the article blurb didn't say if these tickets were for a Miami show that then got cancelled, or if they were selling tickets for Tampa at Miami's Orange Bowl, too.

Then came word about the trouble in Cincinnati. So yes, you can imagine the worries I was having about whether the band would make it to L.A. in one piece or if too much fan violence would cause the rest of the tour to be scrapped.

On the other hand, there was some good news..."The Song Remains the Same" was brought back to selected theatres in Southern California to help us pass the time waiting for the Zeppelin tour to arrive at the Forum.

Well my guess is that Pagey wanted to make up for the night he was carried off the stage two nights before? Man am I lucky that guy had tickets to the 30th and not the 28th. I had wanted the New York seats but he would not sell them and i dont blame him. But he was heaven sent this guy. In his sixties yellow corvette. Hey dude, if you are out there somewhere, I am the 20 yr old punk you sold the tickets to at the Blessed Sacrament school parking lot in the spring of 77. Rochester, NY

Strider, you have such a passion for the LA '77 shows, have you ever considered writing essays on each of the nights you were there detailing what it was like to be there? Sound recordings (however good of a taper Mike might've been) and 8mm footage is one thing, but I'm sure it still doesn't quite equal the true sensation it was to actually witness Led Zeppelin firsthand. I would love to read about your experience on what you felt, heard, and saw at those legendary shows! :)

Strider, you have such a passion for the LA '77 shows, have you ever considered writing essays on each of the nights you were there detailing what it was like to be there? Sound recordings (however good of a taper Mike might've been) and 8mm footage is one thing, but I'm sure it still doesn't quite equal the true sensation it was to actually witness Led Zeppelin firsthand. I would love to read about your experience on what you felt, heard, and saw at those legendary shows! :)

Sue,I've asked for Strider to write a book! ;)

Well boyo? :D

I paid the $35 scalp price from a guy in Rochester that had tickets to NY and Washington. Its unimaginable to think of this price printed on a ticket to see Led Zeppelin. I was offered $200 cash at the door and wisely declined.

Is it true they played a second encore at that show? It's not on any available recording that I've heard, but at the end of the audience tape the crowd explodes like the band is returning to the stage. So I'd be grateful if you could finally put a solid answer to this.

Aye, that was the plan, Sue; to post a separate review on the anniversary of each of the days I attended: the 21, 23, 25, 26, and 27 of June. Alas, life has a way of disrupting your plans. I'll still write them...just not in the timely manner I had envisioned. I suppose it would have been more prudent if I had worked on them in advance. It takes me at least three hours of continuous uninterrupted free time for me to write one of these babies.

• 1 year later...

After reading that gentleman's review of the Dallas show, I really want a recording of that show to surface! I imagine their energy that night, just over two years since they last played in the States...

Also I was very excited to see Black Dog as the first encore-wish it was played more often in '77...

Lastly, I've been left at the cliff-hanger of your account of the L.A. '77 shows! Did you finish it in a different thread?

After reading that gentleman's review of the Dallas show, I really want a recording of that show to surface! I imagine their energy that night, just over two years since they last played in the States...

Also I was very excited to see Black Dog as the first encore-wish it was played more often in '77...

Lastly, I've been left at the cliff-hanger of your account of the L.A. '77 shows! Did you finish it in a different thread?

Agreed! :) I'm excited to hear the rest of your show accounts, Strider, they're wonderful!

I've been away from this section of the Forum so I had no idea this thread was resurrected. I'm so embarrassed.

You know the saying "out of sight, out of mind"? That's pretty much what happened. I was so busy and distracted by other things that I just plumb forgot that I hadn't completed the thread. Since the thread was long gone from the first page of topics, it never occurred to me to check on it. I assumed it was over and done with.

Alas, my computer was recently stolen. I had transferred most of my Led Zeppelin diaries and notes onto it. I'll have to go by memory now. But now that it's been brought to my attention, I will complete the thread with my accounts of the five LA Forum shows as soon as I can.

I've been away from this section of the Forum so I had no idea this thread was resurrected. I'm so embarrassed.

You know the saying "out of sight, out of mind"? That's pretty much what happened. I was so busy and distracted by other things that I just plumb forgot that I hadn't completed the thread. Since the thread was long gone from the first page of topics, it never occurred to me to check on it. I assumed it was over and done with.

Alas, my computer was recently stolen. I had transferred most of my Led Zeppelin diaries and notes onto it. I'll have to go by memory now. But now that it's been brought to my attention, I will complete the thread with my accounts of the five LA Forum shows as soon as I can.

Wow Strider, I'm really sorry to hear about your computer, that's terrible, especially to lose all of your Zeppelin diaries.

I'm delighted to hear that you'll complete your recollections, and I'm sure I speak for just about everyone here at the Forum when I say that if I trust anyone's memory, it's yours.

Enjoy your trip down memory lane, we wait with baited breath to read about it :)

Wow Strider, I'm really sorry to hear about your computer, that's terrible, especially to lose all of your Zeppelin diaries.

I'm delighted to hear that you'll complete your recollections, and I'm sure I speak for just about everyone here at the Forum when I say that if I trust anyone's memory, it's yours.

Enjoy your trip down memory lane, we wait with baited breath to read about it :)

The computer was the least of my worries...most of my albums, stereo, and whatnot were stolen, too. Basically, I came home from my New England trip to a ransacked apartment...I had stupidly left a window ajar when I left. Live and learn.

The computer was the least of my worries...most of my albums, stereo, and whatnot were stolen, too. Basically, I came home from my New England trip to a ransacked apartment...I had stupidly left a window ajar when I left. Live and learn.

Oh Strider I am so sorry to hear this, hope they catch the lowlife(s) that did it & maybe get some of your things back.

That's really awful :( I hope you're able to get most of it back somehow.

Did you have a good trip at least?

When I think about that june 21st 1977 L.A. Forum show, I always remember that amazing begining with "The Song Remains The Same", when Bonham basically goes like a fuckin' rocket with the snare and kick drum. And that was just the start of the concert! What a night, my goodness! Luckily, this version of "Song Remains" is included in the official DVD as an extra - the version of the audio bootleg "Listen To This Eddie" synched up with amateur footage in 8mm. I wasn't at the show itself, obviously, but I wish I had the opportunity! I know about the show via Eddie bootleg. "Sick Again" was a kick ass, and I remember the great jam in "No Quarter" too; again, with Bonzo hammering the drums like a machine gun in combat with Page. Robert strong vocals too... and of course, Mr. Page was really ON FIRE that night. An historic one. Epic, indeed.

When I think about that june 21st 1977 L.A. Forum show, I always remember that amazing begining with "The Song Remains The Same", when Bonham basically goes like a fuckin' rocket with the snare and kick drum. And that was just the start of the concert! What a night, my goodness! Luckily, this version of "Song Remains" is included in the official DVD as an extra - the version of the audio bootleg "Listen To This Eddie" synched up with amateur footage in 8mm. I wasn't at the show itself, obviously, but I wish I had the opportunity! I know about the show via Eddie bootleg. "Sick Again" was a kick ass, and I remember the great jam in "No Quarter" too; again, with Bonzo hammering the drums like a machine gun in combat with Page. Robert strong vocals too... and of course, Mr. Page was really ON FIRE that night. An historic one. Epic, indeed.

• 3 years later...