STRIDER'S 1977 TOUR THREAD

Strider

On 12/15/2016 at 8:57 PM, Phoenix1982 said:

Did Strider ever tell the rest of his story? Is it in some other thread? I'd love to hear it...

I'm embarrassed to say I never finished and let the thread die on the vine, so-to-speak. 

But as 2017 will be the 40th anniversary of the 1977 tour...and the 45th anniversary of 1972...I will post about both next year and complete the thread.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

I'm embarrassed to say I never finished and let the thread die on the vine, so-to-speak. 

But as 2017 will be the 40th anniversary of the 1977 tour...and the 45th anniversary of 1972...I will post about both next year and complete the thread.

Now don't go pulling a Jimmy Page on us...we are gonna hold you to your word so if all of a sudden a set of Strider's concert photos goes up for sale or you go and remaster boots or something instead of following up. Well, crickety, that's just not fair.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Now don't go pulling a Jimmy Page on us...we are gonna hold you to your word so if all of a sudden a set of Strider's concert photos goes up for sale or you go and remaster boots or something instead of following up. Well, crickety, that's just not fair.

Can I interest you in some specially-designed coffee mugs or some used cocktail swizzle-sticks?

54 minutes ago, Strider said:

Can I interest you in some specially-designed coffee mugs or some used cocktail swizzle-sticks?

Scarves. And the rest of the story, please!! :D

Meanwhile, I have a couple questions. Listening to the "Eddie" boot from 5-21, I hear Jimmy tease the opening lick of Heartbreaker's solo right before  he launches into Nobody's Fault But Mine. So, I think he either (a) knew he wanted to play Heartbreaker that night, (b) heard someone yelling for it early in the show. Indeed, somebody yells "Heartbreaker" right before he plays it in the final leg of the concert. Seconds before that Jimmy begins to tune his theremin obviously getting ready to go into the noise solo. But after Heartbreaker is requested he changes his mind and following a few seconds' hesitation launches into that instead. Any memory of how that unfolded or what Jimmy's reaction to the song request was like (if you could even see any of it unfold)?

Also, who yells "Trampled Underfoot" when, in Robert's words, they "change the program" on 6-23? Was it Bonzo? Thanks!

Edited by Phoenix1982

1 hour ago, Phoenix1982 said:

Scarves. And the rest of the story, please!! :D

Meanwhile, I have a couple questions. Listening to the "Eddie" boot from 5-21, I hear Jimmy tease the opening lick of Heartbreaker's solo right before  he launches into Nobody's Fault But Mine. So, I think he either (a) knew he wanted to play Heartbreaker that night, (b) heard someone yelling for it early in the show. Indeed, somebody yells "Heartbreaker" right before he plays it in the final leg of the concert. Seconds before that Jimmy begins to tune his theremin obviously getting ready to go into the noise solo. But after Heartbreaker is requested he changes his mind and following a few seconds' hesitation launches into that instead. Any memory of how that unfolded or what Jimmy's reaction to the song request was like (if you could even see any of it unfold)?

Also, who yells "Trampled Underfoot" when, in Robert's words, they "change the program" on 6-23? Was it Bonzo? Thanks!

Are you serious? My seats were nowhere near Mike Millard's prime real estate so I was not privy to the dialogue happening around Mike. I was too busy dodging cherry bombs and spilled beer and people arguing about seats. People were always yelling random things and song requests at shows, and because of the general excitement level and distractions that comes with a concert, I did not have any particular memory of Jimmy teasing a certain lick here or there and did not ascribe his playing "Heartbreaker" as a response to any particular request.

It wasn't until hearing the Eddie bootleg later that I even realized how unique it was that Led Zeppelin played "Heartbreaker" in 1977 and made the connection between that one guy shouting it and the band playing it. 

Only Jimmy Page himself can answer that question.

As for Trampled, again I wasn't aware during the concert itself of that exchange....it is mostly a blur of sound and sensations. The bootlegs help trigger certain memories but in the general din of the Forum I was not close enough to hear any of the stage banter between the band other than Robert. From the Badgeholder boot it certainly sounds like Bonham is the one who yells for "Trampled Under Foot".

2 hours ago, Phoenix1982 said:

I wasn't at the show, but I have a theory re Heartbreaker: Page may have played the opening lick of the solo in order to test his guitar. His guitar strap came loose at the beginning of Sick Again (hence the brief dropout) and there's a long wait before NFBM, so he probably had to ensure it was tuned to his liking. As to him actually playing Heartbreaker, it wasn't the first time playing it for 77 (they played it during one of the MSG shows earlier in the month). He could have decided to play it as it was their first night in LA (being their "home away from home"). Or it could have been in response to that guy shouting for it on the bootleg. As Strider said, only Page knows for sure.

As for "Trampled Underfoot", I believe it is indeed Bonzo. The Year of Led Zeppelin blog also credits it to Bonzo, so I'd say it's a fairly safe bet.

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

I wasn't at the show, but I have a theory re Heartbreaker: Page may have played the opening lick of the solo in order to test his guitar. His guitar strap came loose at the beginning of Sick Again (hence the brief dropout) and there's a long wait before NFBM, so he probably had to ensure it was tuned to his liking. As to him actually playing Heartbreaker, it wasn't the first time playing it for 77 (they played it during one of the MSG shows earlier in the month). He could have decided to play it as it was their first night in LA (being their "home away from home"). Or it could have been in response to that guy shouting for it on the bootleg. As Strider said, only Page knows for sure.

I think it's a safe bet Page doesn't remember too much of what went on in '77. Strider, I like the 2017 timing thing, but please don't won't wait until June to post the rest of the story?? :ph34r: If.... you can. :D 

And I don't know about others, but I loved the context part of it. I know we're finished with that part of it now and on to the shows themselves, but that was seriously awesome, especially the bits about VH, PF, and TP (the other bands near and dear to my heart). Oh, and you caught Lizzy with Gary Moore... insane. I would have given a lot to have been at the Animals show, given that it and WYWH are two of my fave Floyd albums (along with the Wall). I wonder if the outdoor thing killed it for you. I don't even like the large indoor venues that much (when I saw TP a couple years ago at the United Center here in Chicago the sound was horribly thin). Also, it's interesting how incredibly critical Dave proved to VH as a unit in the end, they were never the same after he left. Transitioning to being a more "mature" band isn't always as easy as Zep made it sound.

Anyway, that was really just an incredible year, it seems.

Edited by Phoenix1982

• 1 month later...
On 17/12/2016 at 7:21 PM, craigled said:

77 tour was the best ever by anybody. Not even up for discussion. Plain and simply the best. I feel as though words cannot describe it. So like you see, Best is the word that i will use over and over again.

Do you mean Zeppelin's best ever tour was 77? If you do, and I don't want to piss on your chips, and I know how you love your chips, that is hilarious. I would say undoubtedly the worst. Sure there are a few shows that are good but crikey best by anybody ! 1969 - 1975 hands down better. The band were firing from from 1969 until 73. If you are still not sure pick a show from US tour 1970 or Japan 71, US 71, UK 71 or US 72 or European tour 72 - 73 then listen to the overblown and, if I may say, haphazard 77 US tour, and tell me I'm wrong.?

Nutrocker and Sue may challenge me on the above statement as their preference is this tour, but the "best". Nah sorry Craig

They were the first tour performances that i ever heard. So that is what stuck with me. That is why i like them the best. Your first memories of anything are always the most special. Everything the lads did was brilliant anyway. So stop messing with my chips.

6 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Yeah, man, i just stumbled across this discussion and like everyone else I'm waiting for you to finish...hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through the L.A. '77 shows through yer eyes, Strider!

You are in luck...you won't have to wait until June. But first I am working on my 1972 piece. Then I will deal with the 1977 Forum shows. I don't want to guarantee a date but it will definitely be before June.

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I would say undoubtedly the worst.

The Tour Over Europe would like to have a word.

Strider, really looking forward to your accounts, especially since the 6/25/72 and 6/21/77 shows are two of my favorite shows ever. I think it goes without saying how we are all insanely jealous that you got to attend all of these amazing shows! :D

On 12/17/2016 at 2:11 PM, Strider said:

And the 10th anniversary of the O2 show....damn, where does the time go?

I'm shure he can still play well, maybe a bit slower.

But perhaps his solos and Plant's voice, were the parts, that attracted me the most at the start, the amazing voice, fast drum parts and fast solos and emotions of love, but I guess I always had the problem of bringing it into context a bit, like you know, somehow showing people more, I care for music and it seems to me, I could write a story about going to a concert, only in the last few years and yet music was always so important to me, exciting and relaxing me and making me a better person, even if I was at times perhaps a bit strange! 

Can anybody relate to this? Stryder thanks for the story!

Oh and by the way, I think group sports are kind of strange, guys running up and down after a ball, simple rules, I mean they train really hard and do their best, but they are not exactly intellectuals, because they are sports man and they find their way a bit over all this wonderful society bullshit ;) , like be nicer, when you are closer to the goal ofcourse and when you hear the trainer screaming, no comment is needed really! But yeah, it's nice they can move themselves and have some recreation, it's a bit hard to watch it with good old dad thought, unless I shut up, he translates it a bit to rivalry, which is annoying, so I go to my room, before I get a bit to creative! 

Have a nice time, sorry for the additional parahraph, nobody asked for it! 

Thanks!

Edited by SamoKodela
spelling , just one word ;)

I think a better, more honest assessment of the 77' tour would be, on a consistent basis, was not the best tour in fact, likely their worst. However, as far as individual shows, the excellent shows of 77' such as the NY & LA runs we some of the best shows the band played and the end of the era of excess.

Ps. Quit with the hate for 80', the majority of the shows were damn good with only a few turds floating around plus it showed the band could adapt to the times. I know not everyones cup o' tea being no real improv marathons, but, we have one of the most interesting WLL played at the Berlin gig so there is that for old times sake.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

I think a better, more honest assessment of the 77' tour would be, on a consistent basis, was not the best tour in fact, likely their worst. However, as far as individual shows, the excellent shows of 77' such as the NY & LA runs we some of the best shows the band played and the end of the era of excess.

Ps. Quit with the hate for 80', the majority of the shows were damn good with only a few turds floating around plus it showed the band could adapt to the times. I know not everyones cup o' tea being no real improv marathons, but, we have one of the most interesting WLL played at the Berlin gig so there is that for old times sake.

This tour had Physical Graffiti and Presence included!!!!!!  No way the worst.  And of course it was the night of Memorial Day 1977 that I had my only chance to see them live.  It was one of the best shows ever according to many reviews here.  Two nights after Jimmy was carried off the stage so he made up for that.   It was 3 1/2 hours of magic

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

This tour had Physical Graffiti and Presence included!!!!!!  No way the worst.  And of course it was the night of Memorial Day 1977 that I had my only chance to see them live.  It was one of the best shows ever according to many reviews here.  Two nights after Jimmy was carried off the stage so he made up for that.   It was 3 1/2 hours of magic

Exactly my point, very inconsistent tour. The highs were stratospheric, however the lows were pretty dramatic. Though the supposed worst gig that year, Tempe, is so bad at times to be entertaining in a hilarious sort of way. Listening to ALS from that show, for me at least, is a real treat. It starts off as one of the best ALS ever with an improvised intro but after Jimmy almost gets blown up by a flash pot, what happens for the rest of the song is just comedic gold.