STRIDER'S 1977 TOUR THREAD

Strider

Wow! :notworthy:

Excellent post Strider! Very well-written and detailed! For a few wonderful moments, I could actually picture myself sitting there at the Forum. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to have seen and heard this show in person. I distinctly remember hearing this for the first time and, like you, I was so floored by TSRTS that I didn't even notice Jimmy dropping out in Sick Again. You are incredibly lucky to have seen Zeppelin as many times as you did! I am very envious and I look forward to your further memories of this run! :)

Awesome. . Well worth the wait. . Thanks for this Strider:):):)  From those of us that came to the party late (I was 4 at the time of this show) its sweet the recollections and mental imagery these trips in the hot tub time machine bring. . This week is special in so many more ways than one. .Cant wait for the 23rd:D:popcorn2:

20 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Amazing story, thanks for the post Strider.
I wonder if there was a clean, nice soundboard, and with Millards tape, if really good sound engineers could craft a release that did contain at least some of that concert ambiance that you recall.... B)

As far as I'm concerned soundboards for the June 21/23/25/27 shows would only really be useful for matrixing purposes with Millard's audience tapes. 

33 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

As far as I'm concerned soundboards for the June 21/23/25/27 shows would only really be useful for matrixing purposes with Millard's audience tapes. 

Agreed. Multi-track recordings would be another story!

It's incredible to think there was no multi-track recording of any 77 shows , given the mammoth scale of that tour production. 

On 6/22/2017 at 0:05 AM, porgie66 said:

Unreal, so that was LA or Long Beach? Amazed you were there for HTWWW at 9 years old!!  Did you also attend Bonzos Bday or 6/3/73? 

Yes and yes. 

6.25.72 6.27.72 5.31.73 6.2.73 6.3.73 3.12.75 3.24.75 3.25.75 3.27.75 6.21.77 6.23.77 6.25.77 6.26.77 6.27.77

Plus over 20 Plant, Page, and Jones solo shows, both Page & Plant tours, Page & Black Crowes, Jones & Diamanda Galás, and the Ronnie Lane A.R.M.S. tour.

Post #20: Welcome to 3 Hours of Loonacy!

Date: June 23, 1977

I'm not going to take up as much space as I did with my June 21 memories. My computer is down and I don't feel like writing a Moby Dick-length post on my phone. 

First of all, although now I wish I had gone to the June 22nd show, at the time I was grateful to have that day to recuperate from the night before. Other bands pounded you for an hour or 90 minutes. Led Zeppelin pounded you for over three hours non-stop...no intermission like you got with Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead.

My ears were ringing most of the night after the show June 21, and when I woke up later that day (we didn't get to sleep until early Wednesday morning...too amped) there was still a faint ringing. Which is sort of how I planned it when I was figuring out which shows to go to after the band released the final tour reschedule. A show...a day to recuperate...another show...another day to recuperate. Then I had the three shows in a row Saturday-Monday to worry about...but I would cross that bridge when I came to it.

For now, I mostly spent that Wednesday June 22 rehashing the night before with my friend and trying to recall as much as we could of the night.

First a historical note...The June 21 show was the first Led Zeppelin concert I saw where they did not play "Black Dog" and "Dazed and Confused". My buddy was bummed they didn't play "Dazed and Confused". I didn't miss it as much. Neither of us cared about not hearing "Black Dog".

Looking over my setlist, they didn't play "In My Time of Dying", instead "Over the Hills and Far Away" was played in the #4 slot. We thought maybe that was a rotating thing...maybe we would get IMTOD on the 23rd.

The other thing they fooled us with was that whole "Over the Top" business. After that hilarious and long introduction by Plant of John Bonham, when the band kicked into the "Out on the Tiles" riff, I was thinking they were going to play the song for real. But when Plant didn't start singing, I was kind of unsure of what was happening...but that's Led Zeppelin for you. There's always moments where the band takes you into mysterious waters with no road map to guide you. All you can do is wait it out.

So when after two minutes of "Out on the Tiles" (sans lyrics) Bonham then went into his drum solo, I was back on familiar ground. Having witnessed 25-30 minute "Moby Dick"s in the past, I was grateful that Bonzo kept it to 15 minutes this time. Of course, the band threw another curve by finishing the solo with the end of "Moby Dick" instead of returning with "Out on the Tiles".

My buddy and I agreed that the first 40 minutes were just full-on power and intensity...real Hammer of the Gods. The opening trio of "The Song Remains the Same"-"Rover"/"Sick Again"-"Nobody's Fault But Mine" especially made an impression on us. Compared to 1975, it was a significant boost in energy. "Rock and Roll" in 1975 was too sluggish and Robert's vocals too subpar to lift the song to its proper intensity, and "Sick Again" was at that time too new and unfamiliar to the audience.

By 1977, the audience had had two years to devour "Physical Graffiti", so "Sick Again" was much more welcome in the second slot...although that "Rover" tease had me wishing they would do that song in its entirety.

My friend and I agreed that "Over the Hills and Far Away" had reached its perfect form. That was one song I was salivating to hear again...and again.

"Kashmir", of course, was one that made a huge impression on us. The linkage of "White Summer"/"Black Mountain Side" to "Kashmir" made total sense upon reflection, given the tuning and the similar Indian-trance-vibe the songs possess. 

Naturally, my thoughts turned to the upcoming shows and if there would be any changes in the setlist night to night. Or if like 1975, it would be pretty much stagnant.

I went to bed early that night and slept a good night's sleep. When I awoke Thursday morning June 23, 1977, like Richard Nixon I was tanned, rested and ready.

For the June 23 show, I was going alone. My dad drove me to the show and picked me up afterwards. Passing all those familiar signposts on the way to the Forum...the LAX Theme Building, Randy's Donuts, IHOP, Hollywood Park Race Track. Even though I did not live in L.A. yet, I was beginning to get a feel for the lay of the land. I was sowing the seeds for when I would finally escape the hick town I was in.

So...what is there left to be said about the June 23, 1977 show that hasn't been said already? Especially when the "For Badgeholders Only" bootleg exists to let people hear the show and make up their own mind.

Suffice to say that when Plant uttered the immortal words "Welcome to 3 hours of Loonacy", he wasn't kidding. When haters try to slam Led Zeppelin concerts as overrated and boring, I shove this show right down their throats. Everything...the sound, the brilliant lights, the pacing of the peaks and softer moments, the demonic laser pyramid and Jimmy Page throwing shapes to the north-south-east-west, was sensational and larger-than-life. 

"Kashmir" again was otherworldly (even with the early cock-up, which wasn't that noticeable anyway)...as was "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "OTHAFA" (Jimmy again hurtling through space-and-time), "Ten Years Bonham", "No Quarter" (featuring John Paul Looney Two Slacks Jones), "Achilles Last Stand", and a new addition to the set "Trampled Under Foot"! 

If "The Song Remains the Same" wasn't quite as manic as June 21, it was as close as dammit...only it was missing Jimmy doing many of his pterodactyl moves due to another mishap with his equipment. There he was, sitting down on the drum riser with Raymond trying to fix his broken strap to his double-neck. Meanwhile, while this is going on, I was getting annoyed with the constant arrival of late-comers to their seats. The first few songs of every concert were a parade of people coming to their seats or arguing about seats. Grrrrrr.

I think "Sick Again" was a stand-alone for the only time on the 1977 tour, and the band had really found the song's groove on this tour. On the 23rd, Jimmy's guitar sounded really nasty and sleazy, like it should on "Sick Again". Maybe using the Les Paul made a difference from using the 6-string part of his SG double-neck?

I still probably prefer Jones using the Fender bass in 1975, but the Alembic bass sounded heavy enough in concert, although some twang was evident. Bonzo's stainless steel kit with those ginormous tom toms generated plenty of thunder. My god...those precision rolls of his. Your bones felt as if they were going to shatter and your rib cage collapse from the force.

Even though it was a Thursday, the crowd felt like a Saturday night crowd...pumped and primed to party. If the opening night at the Forum was an explosion of two years of pent-up desire and energy, then the third night was a bacchanal. Maybe a little too rowdy...I had a cherry bomb go off near me and effect my hearing for a couple songs.

When I was able to calm down from the initial rush and euohoria of the first few songs, I tried to focus on the details. The band all seemed to be wearing the same clothes. I think Bonham had a different top but Jimmy (white dragon suit), Robert (blue jeans and kimono-blouse type top), and Jones (all white) all looked the same as they did on the 21st. In fact, Jones on the 1977 tour reminded me of Greg Lake, only without the round face.

Plant looked just slightly a little heavier...mainly in the gut and face, but nothing you wouldn't expect with his recent injury and his lifestyle. Jimmy though was obviously thinner..even gaunt. When he was waving his guitar around and stretching his arms, you could really see his rib cage. His pants, usually worn near his belly-button on previous tours, sagged way down on his hips.

Another first for Jimmy Page on this tour...smoking on stage! I had never seen him with a cigarette in his mouth so this was quite surprising to see.

Meanwhile, there was a curious figure seen hovering around the drum kit...why hadn't Richard Cole or Mick Hinton removed him? Then during the drum solo he announced himself: it was KEITH MOON!!! Moon the Loon telling Bonzo to "whip Buddy Rich's ass and show those jazz mofos what they're missing." Then Bonzo lets Moon sit in on the drum solo...two of rock's greatest drummers are now playing together! The Dynamic Looneys! Amazing men of steel who know Badgeholders! 

We in the Forum are going nuts! This is too much...the lights and flashpots are going off and Bonzo and Moon are shaking the Forum to its foundations with the greatest unholy racket I have ever heard. Just listen to the tympani part of the drum solo and you will hear what I mean. 

After another furious Achilles and majestic Stairway, the crowd goes apeshit for five or more minutes. No cheap encores for Led Zeppelin...unlike today's bands who barely wait 30 seconds before coming back out. Led Zeppelin truly earns their encore. 

But first, Keith has something he wants to say...only he was so drunk it was hard to understand what he was saying. Meanwhile, Plant has gone behind the drum kit and started playing a little until he decides to rescue Moon from his incoherency, hehe. Moon takes up residence by Bonzo's tympani, and plays along as they begin the encore of a very punk-like "Whole Lotta Love"/"Rock and Roll". Sheer euphoria carried us home that night. Another gobsmacking Hammer of the Gods concert...perhaps the best concert I've ever seen. It is a night I will cherish forever. 

But because of events that happened later, it is also a night tinged with melancholy. For I remember Keith Moon telling us he would be back at the Forum later in the year "with his backing group". Sadly, he died before that could happen. So this show, this night of June 23, 1977, represents Keith Moon's final appearance on a concert stage in America. Just as these 1977 shows would represent Led Zeppelin's last appearance in America.

It's after midnight now...exactly 40 years ago I was heading home from my second 1977 Led Zeppelin show and 11th LZ show overall. And contrary to what was coming from Rolling Stone and the punk-obsessed UK press, washed-up bloated dinosaurs was the last thing on my mind after the concert I had just witnessed.

As far as I was concerned, Led Zeppelin still ruled...and I was looking forward to more.

Edited by Strider

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Post #20: Welcome to 3 Hours of Loonacy!

Date: June 23, 1977

I'm not going to take up as much space as I did with my June 21 memories. My computer is down and I don't feel like writing a Moby Dick-length post on my phone. 

First of all, although now I wish I had gone to the June 22nd show, at the time I was grateful to have that day to recuperate from the night before. Other bands pounded you for an hour or 90 minutes. Led Zeppelin pounded you for over three hours non-stop...no intermission like you got with Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead.

My ears were ringing most of the night after the show June 21, and when I woke up later that day (we didn't get to sleep until early Wednesday morning...too amped) there was still a faint ringing. Which is sort of how I planned it when I was figuring out which shows to go to after the band released the final tour reschedule. A show...a day to recuperate...another show...another day to recuperate. Then I had the three shows in a row Saturday-Monday to worry about...but I would cross that bridge when I came to it.

For now, I mostly spent that Wednesday June 22 rehashing the night before with my friend and trying to recall as much as we could of the night.

First a historical note...The June 21 show was the first Led Zeppelin concert I saw where they did not play "Black Dog" and "Dazed and Confused". My buddy was bummed they didn't play "Dazed and Confused". I didn't miss it as much. Neither of us cared about not hearing "Black Dog".

Looking over my setlist, they didn't play "In My Time of Dying", instead "Over the Hills and Far Away" was played in the #4 slot. We thought maybe that was a rotating thing...maybe we would get IMTOD on the 23rd.

The other thing they fooled us with was that whole "Over the Top" business. After that hilarious and long introduction by Plant of John Bonham, when the band kicked into the "Out on the Tiles" riff, I was thinking they were going to play the song for real. But when Plant didn't start singing, I was kind of unsure of what was happening...but that's Led Zeppelin for you. There's always moments where the band takes you into mysterious waters with no road map to guide you. All you can do is wait it out.

So when after two minutes of "Out on the Tiles" (sans lyrics) Bonham then went into his drum solo, I was back on familiar ground. Having witnessed 25-30 minute "Moby Dick"s in the past, I was grateful that Bonzo kept it to 15 minutes this time. Of course, the band threw another curve by finishing the solo with the end of "Moby Dick" instead of returning with "Out on the Tiles".

My buddy and I agreed that the first 40 minutes were just full-on power and intensity...real Hammer of the Gods. The opening trio of "The Song Remains the Same"-"Rover"/"Sick Again"-"Nobody's Fault But Mine" especially made an impression on us. Compared to 1975, it was a significant boost in energy. "Rock and Roll" in 1975 was too sluggish and Robert's vocals too subpar to lift the song to its proper intensity, and "Sick Again" was at that time too new and unfamiliar to the audience.

By 1977, the audience had had two years to devour "Physical Graffiti", so "Sick Again" was much more welcome in the second slot...although that "Rover" tease had me wishing they would do that song in its entirety.

My friend and I agreed that "Over the Hills and Far Away" had reached its perfect form. That was one song I was salivating to hear again...and again.

"Kashmir", of course, was one that made a huge impression on us. The linkage of "White Summer"/"Black Mountain Side" to "Kashmir" made total sense upon reflection, given the tuning and the similar Indian-trance-vibe the songs possess. 

Naturally, my thoughts turned to the upcoming shows and if there would be any changes in the setlist night to night. Or if like 1975, it would be pretty much stagnant.

I went to bed early that night and slept a good night's sleep. When I awoke Thursday morning June 23, 1977, like Richard Nixon I was tanned, rested and ready.

For the June 23 show, I was going alone. My dad drove me to the show and picked me up afterwards. Passing all those familiar signposts on the way to the Forum...the LAX Theme Building, Randy's Donuts, IHOP, Hollywood Park Race Track. Even though I did not live in L.A. yet, I was beginning to get a feel for the lay of the land. I was sowing the seeds for when I would finally escape the hick town I was in.

So...what is there left to be said about the June 23, 1977 show that hasn't been said already? Especially when the "For Badgeholders Only" bootleg exists to let people hear the show and make up their own mind.

Suffice to say that when Plant uttered the immortal words "Welcome to 3 hours of Loonacy", he wasn't kidding. When haters try to slam Led Zeppelin concerts as overrated and boring, I shove this show right down their throats. Everything...the sound, the brilliant lights, the pacing of the peaks and softer moments, the demonic laser pyramid and Jimmy Page throwing shapes to the north-south-east-west, was sensational and larger-than-life. 

"Kashmir" again was otherworldly (even with the early cock-up, which wasn't that noticeable anyway)...as was "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "OTHAFA" (Jimmy again hurtling through space-and-time), "Ten Years Bonham", "No Quarter" (featuring John Paul Looney Two Slacks Jones), "Achilles Last Stand", and a new addition to the set "Trampled Under Foot"! 

If "The Song Remains the Same" wasn't quite as manic as June 21, it was as close as dammit...only it was missing Jimmy doing many of his pterodactyl moves due to another mishap with his equipment. There he was, sitting down on the drum riser with Raymond trying to fix his broken strap to his double-neck. Meanwhile, while this is going on, I was getting annoyed with the constant arrival of late-comers to their seats. The first few songs of every concert were a parade of people coming to their seats or arguing about seats. Grrrrrr.

I think "Sick Again" was a stand-alone for the only time on the 1977 tour, and the band had really found the song's groove on this tour. On the 23rd, Jimmy's guitar sounded really nasty and sleazy, like it should on "Sick Again". Maybe using the Les Paul made a difference from using the 6-string part of his SG double-neck?

I still probably prefer Jones using the Fender bass in 1975, but the Alembic bass sounded heavy enough in concert, although some twang was evident. Bonzo's stainless steel kit with those ginormous tom toms generated plenty of thunder. My god...those precision rolls of his. Your bones felt as if they were going to shatter and your rib cage collapse from the force.

Even though it was a Thursday, the crowd felt like a Saturday night crowd...pumped and primed to party. If the opening night at the Forum was an explosion of two years of pent-up desire and energy, then the third night was a bacchanal. Maybe a little too rowdy...I had a cherry bomb go off near me and effect my hearing for a couple songs.

When I was able to calm down from the initial rush and euohoria of the first few songs, I tried to focus on the details. The band all seemed to be wearing the same clothes. I think Bonham had a different top but Jimmy (white dragon suit), Robert (blue jeans and kimono-blouse type top), and Jones (all white) all looked the same as they did on the 21st. In fact, Jones on the 1977 tour reminded me of Greg Lake, only without the round face.

Plant looked just slightly a little heavier...mainly in the gut and face, but nothing you wouldn't expect with his recent injury and his lifestyle. Jimmy though was obviously thinner..even gaunt. When he was waving his guitar around and stretching his arms, you could really see his rib cage. His pants, usually worn near his belly-button on previous tours, sagged way down on his hips.

Another first for Jimmy Page on this tour...smoking on stage! I had never seen him with a cigarette in his mouth so this was quite surprising to see.

Meanwhile, there was a curious figure seen hovering around the drum kit...why hadn't Richard Cole or Mick Hinton removed him? Then during the drum solo he announced himself: it was KEITH MOON!!! Moon the Loon telling Bonzo to "whip Buddy Rich's ass and show those jazz mofos what they're missing." Then Bonzo lets Moon sit in on the drum solo...two of rock's greatest drummers are now playing together! The Dynamic Looneys! Amazing men of steel who know Badgeholders! 

We in the Forum are going nuts! This is too much...the lights and flashpots are going off and Bonzo and Moon are shaking the Forum to its foundations with the greatest unholy racket I have ever heard. Just listen to the tympani part of the drum solo and you will hear what I mean. 

After another furious Achilles and majestic Stairway, the crowd goes apeshit for five or more minutes. No cheap encores for Led Zeppelin...unlike today's bands who barely wait 30 seconds before coming back out. Led Zeppelin truly earns their encore. 

But first, Keith has something he wants to say...only he was so drunk it was hard to understand what he was saying. Meanwhile, Plant has gone behind the drum kit and started playing a little until he decides to rescue Moon from his incoherency, hehe. Moon takes up residence by Bonzo's tympani, and plays along as they begin the encore of a very punk-like "Whole Lotta Love"/"Rock and Roll". Sheer euphoria carried us home that night. Another gobsmacking Hammer of the Gods concert...perhaps the best concert I've ever seen. It is a night I will cherish forever. 

But because of events that happened later, it is also a night tinged with melancholy. For I remember Keith Moon telling us he would be back at the Forum later in the year "with his backing group". Sadly, he died before that could happen. So this show, this night of June 23, 1977, represents Keith Moon's final appearance on a concert stage in America. Just as these 1977 shows would represent Led Zeppelin's last appearance in America.

It's after midnight now...exactly 40 years ago I was heading home from my second 1977 Led Zeppelin show and 11th LZ show overall. And contrary to what was coming from Rolling Stone and the punk-obsessed UK press, washed-up bloated dinosaurs was the last thing on my mind after the concert I had just witnessed.

As far as I was concerned, Led Zeppelin still ruled...and I was looking forward to more.

The first and best bootleg I purchased. Still have it. Part 1. Dragonfly Records. Great review and recap as always Mr. Strider. 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Should I continue with the last three shows or have you had enough? There are only so many superlatives I can come up with...my vocabulary is running dry.

Continue Sir...Encore...Encore!!!

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Should I continue with the last three shows or have you had enough? There are only so many superlatives I can come up with...my vocabulary is running dry.

Definitely continue on! Your writing is really great and puts me right there in the seats! :)

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Oh please keep going!  These are great!

I like it all. The Millard recordings from the shows you've seen is why I'm here, and even though I'm a youngin', I've got quite a collection and got started about when the SBD revolution did, so lucky me right? Fuckin' A.

Lets hear about the 25th and 27th, those are my most listened to boots probably in my whole collection. Haven't worn them out as much as the Eddie and Badgeholders show. Sights sounds crowd reaction, I like all of the above man. Thx for the posts, feels like you're there for a sec. Especially listening while reading your posts.

And holy hell, you caught 3/12/75? I think that might be one of, if not the best, of 1975.

Absolutely you should continue.  Just let whatever you want flow out!  Looking forward to the 26&27th specifically! ✌?

Poplar consensus is MORE PLEASE!! 

Actually , I would love to hear what your memories as a 10-11 year old were of the 72 HTWWW shows and Bonzo's BDay and Kezar!! I'd be very curious to hear how it felt to be so young there. Actually 6/3/63 is one of my all time fav '73 boots.

Saw Boston when I was 12 or 13 (yes, they were old, but damn they sounded good) and I don't remember anything but having beer spilled on me, and Foreplay/Long Time, and Smokin. Lol. The organ did rise off the stage though. Maybe got some second hand smoke.

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Poplar consensus is MORE PLEASE!! 

Actually , I would love to hear what your memories as a 10-11 year old were of the 72 HTWWW shows and Bonzo's BDay and Kezar!! I'd be very curious to hear how it felt to be so young there. Actually 6/3/63 is one of my all time fav '73 boots.

He actually already posted his memories of the 73 tour:

I am definitely adding a +1 to hear the memories of 6/25/72 (unless Strider already posted it and I'm missing it somewhere). Strider, I'll just repeat what I said earlier. Your writing is superb. The way you set the scene telling of what things were like in that era, then the building sense of anticipation as you recount the days leading up to the concert, then reading your description of being there and experiencing it while I listen to the bootleg...it's the closest this young man (who wasn't even born when Bonham died) will ever come to seeing the boys in concert. By all means, feel free to continue the journey for this LA run, as well as the HTWWW show and the 75 shows (unless I missed those too). Your posts are definitely a major highlight of this forum! :)

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

He actually already posted his memories of the 73 tour:

I am definitely adding a +1 to hear the memories of 6/25/72 (unless Strider already posted it and I'm missing it somewhere). Strider, I'll just repeat what I said earlier. Your writing is superb. The way you set the scene telling of what things were like in that era, then the building sense of anticipation as you recount the days leading up to the concert, then reading your description of being there and experiencing it while I listen to the bootleg...it's the closest this young man (who wasn't even born when Bonham died) will ever come to seeing the boys in concert. By all means, feel free to continue the journey for this LA run, as well as the HTWWW show and the 75 shows (unless I missed those too). Your posts are definitely a major highlight of this forum! :)

Awesome, thanks for the links!

I totally concur with you, Strider's memoirs are really enjoyable reading. 

10 hours ago, Strider said:

Should I continue with the last three shows or have you had enough? 

By all means, continue!

Busted out my old For Badgeholders Only vinyl for the 40th yesterday...you can't deny that it's a classic performance and a classic recording.

Strider, I have so enjoyed reading this thread! Your keen memory, along with your ability to put into words all of the sights, sounds, and yes, even the smells, of that glorious week, is a gift to us all. We can all feel like we are right there with you! I wish I had been your concert buddy, giving you a high five on that special night, but alas, that day has passed, so I give you my high five now.  :gimmefive:

Keep 'em coming, friend. It's good stuff. Really good stuff. 

:)

Great work Strider and really enjoyed your first hand experience of these two 1977 Forum shows.  Good writing and giving us the feeling of what it was like to see Zeppelin back in the 70's from all that went on, the great performances and aura of the band.

For those that asked, I will write up the 1972 shows after I finish wrapping up the 1977 thread. It's easier and less confusing if I immerse myself in one set of memories at a time. I did write about my first Led Zeppelin concerts in 1972 earlier. But it was either in a thread long since buried and forgotten, or it was on the earlier incarnation of this forum...back when Sam's site was known as Electric Magic.

Meanwhile, I overslept and it's over 100° out and I'm running way behind. I probably won't get to posting about June 25, '77 until after the concert tonight.

Strider...these recollections are so awesome to read.

I wasn't even born when Led Zeppelin disbanded, but your write-up on the June 21st show perfectly conveys everything I have ever read about the band and heard in the bootlegs over the years. I tell people it's not hyperbole that they were the rgeatest live rock and roll band in history. I recently was going through various Beatles live performances, and they were so ordinary to me. Zeppelin shows? It was like energy from another dimension descended upon the stage. There are so many things that astound me and continue to astound me about their live performances.

I remember the first time I heard the June 23rd bootleg with good headphones, and listening to Bonzo on the drums on Stairway....the thought that went through my head was "the sound of those his drum playing is impossible, that should not be possible." I cannot even fathom what it would have been like in Millard's section of the Forum. I would have probably been dead because I'm not convinced my mind could have handled seeing and hearing this stuff in the flesh. 

Please continue. Your posts are the sole reason I started viewing and posting (minimally) in the forums again after years of being away. I stumbled across one of your recollections from the 72 or 73 tours while viewing the Zeppelin timeline and became hooked. I've also been listening to 6/21, 6/23, and 6/25 on their 40th anniversary dates to go along with your memories. You really should write a book.