David Bowie thought Pagey put a curse on him in 1975.

Wolfman

In the new RS, there is an article on The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. David Bowie was highly addicted to cocaine during the mid-70's. It states that after a heated conflict between him and Jimmy in a Manhattan condo, he fled to California because he thought Page had cursed him. Wonder what the fight was about? Sounds like they came to blows which would be kinda funny to see due their lady-like physiques. Anyone know?

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug!" -Rick James

I have a Bowie biography that tells about an incident .. going from memory....

Jimmy accidently spilled wine on a pillow while Bowie was out of the room. David came into the room, saw the mess, thought this girl spilled it and started yelling at her.... Then, Bowie caught a glimpse of Jimmy grinning, realized Page spilled it and blew up at him for not saying something.. He felt duped... like Page had orchestrated the whole thing. He told Page to leave.

They were both pretty messed up.. Bowie soon left LA and went to Berlin to get clean..

In the new RS, there is an article on The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. David Bowie was highly addicted to cocaine during the mid-70's. It states that after a heated conflict between him and Jimmy in a Manhattan condo, he fled to California because he thought Page had cursed him. Wonder what the fight was about? Sounds like they came to blows which would be kinda funny to see due their lady-like physiques. Anyone know?

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug!" -Rick James

Whether this is part of it or not I don't know but I remember reading once that when Jimmy bought Tower House he outbid Bowie to clinch the purchase.

In When Giants Walked the Earth Mick Wall wrote about this. According to him it was just Bowie and Page in the room, and Bowie was fascinated by Jimmy's "powerful aura". Bowie's paranoia kept growing and Jimmy merely grinned enigmatically. Apparently Bowie thought Page was manipulating his soul in some way and asked him to leave through the door, "or the window". Freaky and funny!

I've always thought that would make an awesome scene in a movie about Zeppelin or Bowie...

• 7 months later...

Whether this is part of it or not I don't know but I remember reading once that when Jimmy bought Tower House he outbid Bowie to clinch the purchase.

Jimmy Page did outbid David Bowie for Tower House, Jimmy is an avid collector of William Burgess furniture, Tower House was fitted with and had a lot of Burgess items, including every room having a William Burgess fireplace, including the entrance hall, all of the rooms were named after the fireplaces, Mermaid, Old London, etc. Jimmy has half of a collection of certain Burgess cabinets, The Victoria & Albert Museum have the other half, neither will sell.

ZISH.

I think Bowie and Page should do something together.

Sadly I believe Mr. Bowie is retired. He and Jimmy have worked together though, I remember Bowie on the Conan O'Brien show saying that Page gave him a song, gratis - a riff actually - at a session in the 60s. Bowie eventually wrote a song around it IIRC.

Sadly I believe Mr. Bowie is retired. He and Jimmy have worked together though, I remember Bowie on the Conan O'Brien show saying that Page gave him a song, gratis - a riff actually - at a session in the 60s. Bowie eventually wrote a song around it IIRC.

Jimmy worked as session guitarist on at least one Bowie Single in the 1960's.

• 2 months later...

This is a Playboy interview from 1976.

It's from Cameron Crows site-

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/david-bowie-playboy-magazine/

PLAYBOY: Do you remember the first time you got stoned?

BOWIE: On grass? I’d done a lot of pills ever since I was a kid. Thirteen or fourteen. But the first time I got stoned on grass was with John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin many, many years ago, when he was still a bass player on Herman’s Hermits records. We’d been talking to Ramblin’ Jack Elliott somewhere and Jonesy said to me, “Come over and I’ll turn you on to grass.” I thought about it and said, “Sure, I’ll give it a whirl.” We went over to his flat–he had a huge room, with nothing in it except this huge vast Hammond organ, right next door to the police department.

I had done cocaine before but never grass. I don’t know why it should have happened in that order, probably because I knew a couple of merchant seamen who used to bring it back from the docks. I had been doing it with them. And they loathed grass. So I watched in wonder while Jonesy rolled these three fat joints. And we got stoned on all of them. I became incredibly high and it turned into an in-fucking-credible hunger. I ate two loaves of bread. Then the telephone rang. Jonesy said, “Go and answer that for me, will you?” So I went downstairs to answer the phone and kept on walking right out into the street. I never went back. I just got intensely fascinated with the cracks in the pavement.

• 4 months later...

The Supermen, off The Man Who Sold the World.

Bowie was seriously disturbed at this time, keeping his urine in the fridge to ward off spirits, stuff like that. How much that had to do with Page I don't know.

It's a pity they're not friends as they obviously have a great deal in common. Aswell as both being mega talented.

In When Giants Walked the Earth Mick Wall wrote about this. According to him it was just Bowie and Page in the room, and Bowie was fascinated by Jimmy's "powerful aura". Bowie's paranoia kept growing and Jimmy merely grinned enigmatically. Apparently Bowie thought Page was manipulating his soul in some way and asked him to leave through the door, "or the window". Freaky and funny!

I've always thought that would make an awesome scene in a movie about Zeppelin or Bowie...

Powerful Aura..or just being a queer. Bowie is about as worthless as disco. Anyways, interesting stories, didn't know Bowie was affiliated with anything Zep at all.

Lol, is it one those situations where only the hits are rubbish then??

Not sure I'm following you.

I would say it's an interesting album with moments of good songs on it. The guitar stuff on it is rather dull and boring sounding to me.

It's not amazing, sure, but it's good - better than any solo Page, at least in my opinion.

Bowie's not for everyone. He does interesting, if not always satisfying, things.

Lol! Better than solo page, yeah okay. I just sampled a bit of it on youtube, the musicianship is definitely dull. I understand the catchy aspect of it though Mel. That kind of 'music' gets forgotten about in time. Same with kanye, coldplay, & all the gaga's. Sorry.

Archived