First time live

cordero

Born 1957 in Seattle. Saw Zeppelin in 73, 75 and in 77. The band I saw in 77 was not the same as the previous two times, although each experience will never be forgotten. I will never forget the pre-concert tension in 75. An hour before the band appeared the crowd was rapid with anticipation. When the lights went down the roar was so loud it hurt the ears.....by the time Zeppelin finished I couldn't hear for two days! Wonderful days.

• 2 months later...

Leicester Uni 1971. When you think back to 1971, Zeppelin where the biggest band that where still virtually unseen on TV. Even Jimi Hendrix and the Stones were on top of pops and other shows such as "Lulu" and "this is Tom Jones". So Zeppelin were still the best kept secret to their fans, which was remarkable, as their alums from Zeppelin 2 always went to number one, but the reaction from most people was usually Led who??

Anyway, being as this concert was at Leicester Uni, you had to be a student union member to buy a ticket. I wasn't a member so I had to find a student that didn't like Zeppelin and would buy tickets for me. Bingo, it turned out that most students were not interested in Zeppelin, and I handed over £1 and waited for the day to arrive.

The Percy Gee Building at Leicester Uni was like my old school hall, I walked straight to the front and sat on floor, (that's what people did in those days, as they did on the 69 Denmark DVD). Even from sitting on the floor I could lean on the stage which was only about three feet high, I was about 8 feet away from the double necked SG which was on stand in front of the most ridiculously small amp. They came on, and quite literally changed the way I thought about music. I really didn't know what to expect, as there was no live footage available in 71, they were a real revelation as they just seemed to be completely lost in their own music, and they were not clock watching as they played for about two and half hours.

But the main thing that sticks in my mind is the timing of this tiny gig, it was only a couple of weeks after the release of Zeppelin IV, and five days after the Wembley shows, yet here they were in my home town, on a school stage, giving everything they had for a quid!!

PS I played a CD of this show last night, closed my eyes and drifted back in time...I could even smell the patchouli and sweat.

Archived