Best version of Moby Dick?

WChrisMullen

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite version of Moby Dick?

• Studio Version (Led Zeppelin II)
    • Royal Albert Hall (Led Zeppelin DVD)
    • Long Beach, California (How the West Was Won)
    • Madison Square Garden (The Song Remains the Same)

I included all of the commercially-available recordings of Moby Dick. Which version do you think is better? I am torn between HTWWW and TSRTS. I prefer the length of HTWWW but the ending of TSRTS has some crazy fast drumming that sounds almost like a thunderstorm. It's one of the few times I could hear the Doppler Effect on drums. I might have to give the upper hand to HTWWW simply because of its length and its consistency. I prefer 20 minutes of awesome to 10 minutes of awesome I guess.

That's a hard choice Mr. Mullen. ( from the live shows) The best of the three live may be the Long Beach, but after hearing TSRTS version for decades now, I have memorized almost every "hit" note for note- (and still love to listen to it) - it's hard to denounce that one for first place.......

I'll go with 72' just on performance alone.

Ithey used the LA Forum version of Moby Dick and rightly so. After comparison with One More Daze I find the Forum solos superior to the slightly incomplete version of Long Beach.

nevertheless, this one smokes all the way. The RAH rendition comes close. The (heavily edited) drum solo on TSRTS original album has the best bits spliced together

• 3 years later...

Of the four officially released, IMO you can't go wrong with MSG '73 (The Song Remains The Same)...even if it is cut in more than half in the film or on the album.

THIS one, however, gets my vote as the overall best version of "Moby Dick":

I've gone for The Royal Albert Hall version, the solo, the footage, the sound, unbeatable.

I think his solos got too long going further into the 70s (& I'm a drummer).

I'd love to have good footage of him playing a solo on his green kit, circa 1971 or '72.

I think his solos got too long going further into the 70s (& I'm a drummer).

Ever heard either of the epic thirty five minute drum solos from Landover 1977 (May 26 and 28th to be precise)? Listen to either of those, your statement about how the drum solos got too long is 100% accurate.

Ever heard either of the epic thirty five minute drum solos from Landover 1977 (May 26 and 28th to be precise)? Listen to either of those, your statement about how the drum solos got too long is 100% accurate.

I've not, I've got the Seattle DVD though & a copy of Destroyer, which also back up my comment.

I think 10 minutes is about the limit for a drum solo played for the general public (ie - not at a drum clinic).

Makes one think that Robert and Bonzo had made a bet on how long he could stretch out his solo, either that or...cocaine?

• 4 months later...

Makes one think that Robert and Bonzo had made a bet on how long he could stretch out his solo, either that or...cocaine?

Either that or it a big excuse for Jimmy, Robert and Jonesy to fuck a bunch of groupies backstage.

Archived