Any written biography the members HAVEN'T objected to?

DannyC

Hi there, just joined the forum to ask this question...have there been any biographies written about Zep that the various members HAVEN'T vehemontly objected to? I recently lost all of my music so I've been re-accumulating my Zeppelin collection, and in the process I've noticed that it seems every biography that was ever written was met with "Well I've never read it because it would piss me off, but it's wrong!"

When Giants Walked the Earth (Mick Wall):

"Wall’s just writing a book designed to cash in on something he didn’t have anything to do with. He wasn’t a creative force in Led Zep. I’m at something of a disadvantage because I haven’t chosen to read that book, but I hear it’s totally distorted from people who do know about Led Zeppelin." - JP

Hammer of the Gods (Stephen Davis):

"I think I opened [the book] up in the middle somewhere and started to read it, and I just threw it out the window. I was living by a river then, so it actually found its way to the bottom of the sea." - JP

"The guy who wrote that book knew nothing about the band. I think he'd hung around us once. He got all his information from a guy who had a heroin problem who happened to be associated with us. The only thing I read was the "After Zeppelin" part, because I was eager to get on with the music and stop living in a dream state." - RP

Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored (Richard Cole):

"There's a book written by our former road manager, Richard Cole that has made me completely ill. I'm so mad about it that I can't even bring myself to read the whole thing. The two bits that I have read are so ridiculously false, that I'm sure if I read the rest I'd be able to sue Cole and the publishers. But it would be so painful to read that it wouldn't be worth it." - JP

So my question is this, has there been a book written that the remaining members have conceded to be (mostly) true? Or do you think, even if there was such a book written, the members would deny the accounts given out of embarressment?

If this has been discussed before I apologize, but the search function did me dirty in this case...

post-19905-0-69554200-1329165583.jpg

Hi Danny,all,

Welcome to forum!

Until and maybe never, the remaining members of Led Zeppelin write their versions,...take these 'accounts' with more than a grain of salt.I have only read two of the books and Brother Ally was given the Wall book,....

Maybe we really don't need the whole story.And maybe that is for the best.

KB

They haven't objected to my books, Magus, Musician Man and Led Zeppelin FAQ! Then again, they haven't endorsed them, either.

I recently had a brief Facebook exchange with Page's pal Ross Halfin about my FAQ title. "Yes I told the Guitarist about your book," Ross said. I replied that I didn't think he was very interested. "No he isn't really," quipped Ross in his warmhearted way.

With most celebrities, these type of bios (like Hammer of the Gods and When Giants Walked the Earth) are probably relevant only insofar as they say anything really libellous, e.g. Jimmy Page conducts human sacrifice, Robert Plant ordered a hit on Terry Reid, John Paul Jones was a convicted car thief... I expect the Zeppelin members have staff who read these book for legally actionable material, and if there isn't any, they don't bother much with them.

Let's face it, JP, RP, and JPJ don't need any publicity, and they've been the subject of lots of sordid tales of rock 'n' roll excess. If they've been embarrassed by how the stories have been told in the past (the sleaziest of which are widely authenticated), I think they've moved on. I suspect their biggest objection to these books - authors "making a buck off Led Zeppelin" - is just one of those nuisances any public figure has to put up with; check out the Biography section of your local book store for racks of Unauthorized tell-alls of George Clooney or Barack Obama or Snooki or whoever.

For what it's worth, John Paul Jones did write the Foreword to Dave Lewis's Celebration II: The Tight But Loose Files (which suggests he approved of its contents), and I did get ex-Swan Song exec Danny Goldberg to write the Foreword to my FAQ.

post-12775-0-33166900-1329265418.gif

I recently had a brief Facebook exchange with Page's pal Ross Halfin about my FAQ title. "Yes I told the Guitarist about your book," Ross said. I replied that I didn't think he was very interested. "No he isn't really," quipped Ross in his warmhearted way.

If you write a Ross Halfin biography Jimmy can contribute a foreward.

George,

Halfin's replies to you are unnecessarily rude - but I doubt anyone is surprised given the nature of his responses in the past. Halfin takes his 'role' of being Jimmy's guard dog a bit too far - it seems like to get to Jimmy, you have to get Halfin's approval beforehand. My opinion is that JPP has to keep Halfin sweet, because Halfin will know where the skeletons in Jimmy's life are buried.

Overall, George, you are a credible author, not a 'fly-by-night' merchant trying to make a quick buck, and on that basis, I believe you deserved a more courteous reply from Halfin. Would many people on here read Halfin's diary, if it were not for his occasional references to Jimmy? I don't think so.

:yourock:

Thanks for your comments, SAJ and Kenog. Halfin definitely seems to be a prickly character, but I did acknowledge his brief input to my research of Led Zeppelin FAQ, and I know he's mentioned (in his online diary) purchasing that book and the earlier Magus. In my one or two other contacts with him he's been fairly civil. I'll leave others to come up with a title for his biography: "Ross Halfin: [insert Appropriate Description Here]"

They haven't objected to my books, Magus, Musician Man and Led Zeppelin FAQ! Then again, they haven't endorsed them, either.

With most celebrities, these type of bios (like Hammer of the Gods and When Giants Walked the Earth) are probably relevant only insofar as they say anything really libellous, e.g. Jimmy Page conducts human sacrifice, Robert Plant ordered a hit on Terry Reid, John Paul Jones was a convicted car thief... I expect the Zeppelin members have staff who read these book for legally actionable material, and if there isn't any, they don't bother much with them.

Let's face it, JP, RP, and JPJ don't need any publicity, and they've been the subject of lots of sordid tales of rock 'n' roll excess. If they've been embarrassed by how the stories have been told in the past (the sleaziest of which are widely authenticated), I think they've moved on. I suspect their biggest objection to these books - authors "making a buck off Led Zeppelin" - is just one of those nuisances any public figure has to put up with; check out the Biography section of your local book store for racks of Unauthorized tell-alls of George Clooney or Barack Obama or Snooki or whoever.

For what it's worth, John Paul Jones did write the Foreword to Dave Lewis's Celebration II: The Tight But Loose Files (which suggests he approved of its contents), and I did get ex-Swan Song exec Danny Goldberg to write the Foreword to my FAQ.

"The Guitarist"...Haflin,what a doll. :rolleyes:

Well, I have enjoyed your books. You have been very respectful of both his musical legacy and his private life.

I even can't imagine how to write a Zepp's bio from one side in great detail, honestly and at the same time cater to Page and the rest, be polite in their eyes.

How to tell this story if not to catch back side of rock n roll - S, D & RnR , or other aspects?

I guess such bio unwritable / "mission impossible".

roadie Henry 'The Horse' Smith refused to write a story for good money, to leave in good relations with musicians:

“I would never write a book about Zeppelin,” Smith tells Rock Cellar Magazine. ”The things I did and saw with Zeppelin were in the spirit of friendship. To write a book about Led Zeppelin would be to give up that friendship and I value that friendship too highly to stab them in the back.”

http://www.rockcella...e-led-zeppelin/

quite another matter - silent photoalbum

Ross was first who granted a license to shoot the bucks

(nice album btw)

d7346ca3.jpg

I don't think they have objected to Howard Maylett or Dave Lewis's books about them. Jimmy has also not objected to this:

http://www.amazon.co...29530558&sr=1-1

http://rockcritics.c...-top-gear-head/

SW: You have written some great Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin pieces for Guitar World over the years. I understand you have gotten a contract to write a Jimmy Page biography. Will it be authorized? How did the book come about?

BT: It won’t be authorized, but Jimmy is fine with it. I’ve been one of the few journalists that Page talks to on a regular basis. We’ve had a lot of great conversations over the last 20 years and I thought it was time to stitch them together.

It's like being caught between a rock and a hard place. I didn't care for "Hammer of the Gods" or "Stairway to Heaven" but at the same time I don't know if I would like or trust a bio that none of them objected to, as it would probably have to be so watered-down and white-washed to get everyone's approval.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Recently Jimmy wrote on On This Day ''Richie Yorke was one of the first people to capitalise from Led Zeppelin by writing an unauthorised book.''despite Yorke had been said to be an only trusted music journalist by LZ members in the 70's.To be honest,I was a little bit shocked at this entry.

I personally think one of the reasons why Jimmy doesn't like most books on him is that there are many inaccuracies in those books(about his private life too).

Did anyone actually ask Jimmy himself or his real people about his private life?

Most quotes are just from unreliable books published in the past.I think Richard Cole is basically not a bad man,but obviously he changed some stories on purpose.In addition,I feel it so curious some people still believe Pamela Des Barres's claims on Jimmy.If you'll check her book and LZ's real history,tour timeline or Jimmy's OTD etc at the same time,you'll find many errors in her book(she claims she kept a diary though...)I wonder if these errors are just mistakes or fabrications.

Jimmy said to The New York Times in 2010,

''Everyone wants to know what happened here and there, and you’ve got so many people that come forward with explanations — people who give authoritative accounts who were never anywhere near the place.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/arts/music/08page.html

I don't think they have objected to Howard Maylett or Dave Lewis's books about them. Jimmy has also not objected to this:

http://www.amazon.co...29530558&sr=1-1

http://rockcritics.c...-top-gear-head/

SW: You have written some great Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin pieces for Guitar World over the years. I understand you have gotten a contract to write a Jimmy Page biography. Will it be authorized? How did the book come about?

BT: It won’t be authorized, but Jimmy is fine with it. I’ve been one of the few journalists that Page talks to on a regular basis. We’ve had a lot of great conversations over the last 20 years and I thought it was time to stitch them together.

I agree with you,aen.I'm sure Jimmy does trust Howard and Dave.And Brad Tolinski also has been trusted by Jimmy for a long time.I think we can expect his coming JP book.

To tell the truth,I contacted and asked him about his book on SNS site and he briefly but graciously answered to me that ''Almost everything in the book either comes from Page himself or new interviews I've conducted. I think you'll be pleased.''

Some interesting points have been made here...it's true that we may not need the "whole story", but coming from a music-history standpoint it's understandable that a written "screen shot" of 70's and 80's rock from the point of view of Zepp's surviving members would be interesting to have. Kind of like The Dirt for Motley Crue. But those guys don't exactly have concern for their reputations regarding the gnarly stuff they did in the 80's, they play to it.

• 2 years later...

I think the main reason Page and the other two band members put down those books is because they want Zeppelin being remembered for their great music. And they see all those stories and legends as a distraction from the music they made with such spirit and inspiration, you know, working really hard. If I were in their shoes, as a musician I would be really, really upset with fans and media constantly raving about incredibly epic antics in hotel rooms and stuff instead of the music :beat: . So, in my opinion, they wanted the people recognize the quality of the music by itself, without any halo, mystique or whatever. I don´t say with this that I don´t like those books because, ion the other had... why the fuck those books should lie about a rock band like Led Zeppelin in the seventies? I don´t see the necessity! Obviously, in the context of a book all those stories tends to be a little romaticized by the pass of time and the word-out-of-mouth thing, AND - with this in mind, I think that doesn't meant it really doesn't happend, you know ;).

"Cecil, The Zeppelin Years", I just need to hone my Photoshop skills and borrow a few quotes, this once in lifetime tale will be availalbe to those who pay cash, because what a taxman does not know will not interest him.

Signed copies will be availalbe for a small fee. :shifty:

Zeppelin books tend to a subject neither the fans,authors,band and critics can agree on.

Archived