Down Tempo

zepscoda

known by many names, Trip Hop, Chill, Ambient, Lounge...

Its a had me intrigued since I first head Morcheeba back in the mid to late 90's.

Here are my top 10 favorite Down Tempo bands of all time:

1. Pink Floyd
  2. Morcheeba
  3. Thievery Corporation
  4. Nightmares on Wax
  5. St Germain
  6. Moby
  7. Zero 7
  8. Orb
  9. Air
  10. Massive Attack

Anyone else into this style of rhythm, melody & groove?

Listen to it more than I do rock music to be honest. There's loads of DJ Mixes in this genre. I very much like the Cafe Del Mar series and Early Buddha Bar. I also like Jon Si Trinxa out of Ibiza and again some early Ibiza chill mixes.

In no particular order:

Zero 7

Thievery

Lemon Grass

Fragile State

Lemon Jelly

Afterlife

Urban Myth Club

Ohm G

DJ's - Chris Coco, Bruno From Ibiza, DJ Nartak, Mixmaster Morris.- There's so many !!

Goes great with some good Rioja and a smoke or too on a long hot summers evening. Something, I'm sure all us Northern Europeans can't wait for?

Hmmm, this topic has the capability to get rather unweildy...one man's chillout is another man's new age and so on. You could even say the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th is chillout. Or Led Zeppelin's "Rain Song".

But I hope most people will take the term "chillout" the way I assume you meant: electronica-ambient based music. By the way, I've heard this music referred to as "chill" or "chillout" before...but I don't think I've seen it called "downtempo" until now.

Obviously, for the purposes of this thread, Brian Eno would have to be considered one of the first chillout artists...particularly his Ambient Music series of albums. Tangerine Dream is another early influence, as are Kraftwurk, Klaus Schulze and Popol Vuh.

The modern version of chillout coincided with the explosion of rave culture in the late-80s. After all that heated dancing on E, people needed something to unwind.

Most of the great ones have already been listed above, including the two great chillout classics of all-time: Portishead's "Dummy" and Air's "Moon Safari".

Aphex Twin, DJ Shadow, William Orbit, Boards of Canada, Orbital, Sneaker Pimps, Bjork, Goldfrapp, Stereolab, Broadcast, Sigur Rós, and a gazillion djs have also contributed essential chillout albums and songs, along with the aforementioned Massive Attack, Zero 7, Orb, Moby and others.

But here are three somewhat lesser known favourite chillout songs of mine by two guys you absolutely must hear if you are into electronica/chillout-type music...Bertrand Burgalat and Nathan Fake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBCm3pCA_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Bertrand Burgalat cd is "The Sssound of Mmmusic". Nathan Fake's is "Drowning in a Sea of Love".

A great video tribute to film noir a fan made set to one of my favourite Massive Attack songs, "Angel":

Not a lot of people remember the Sneaker Pimps:

Aphex Twin bestrides the electronica genre like a colossus. What Led Zeppelin is to rock, Aphex Twin is to electronica. Come back Richard David James...we miss you! This is a stone cold chillout masterpiece.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

LouLou and Rob Myers of the Thievery Corporation live band recorded this version of "Sweet Tides" in the backstage stairwell at the House of Blues in Orlando, October 2010. :stereo: .............I love Lou Lou's voice.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
11 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

eeeemmmmm not too sure. Sounds like they are playing it safe? 

It is a bit one dimensional , with a trip hop ragee vibe through out. As Saduee was with it's Bosanova style from start to finish. While I really like these last 2 albums.  The last GREAT Thievery album was Culture of Fear, in my opinion anyway...lol

But I will be listening to this one often.

Archived