Suggestions please, easyish song to learn

Traveler

My 14 year old is just learning to play guitar. I asked her what song she would really like to learn how to play. Well, being my daughter, she said she'd love to be able to play something from Zeppelin. Sooooo, my question for you musicians out there (I tried to learn how to play once, fingers must be too short lol) is this: What would you suggest as a starting place for her when it comes to JP guitar playing? FYI, she's must better with electric than acoustic. Thanks so much in advance!

Hey Traveler, might I suggest "Heartbreaker" and "Ramble On"? I am a new player myself and picked these two up quite easily.

This guy is teaching on an acoustic guitar but I play electric and it sounds great! What does she have for a guitar and amplifier?

• 2 weeks later...

COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN ( goes something like this)........

E DAD E

Verse E D A D E D A D Hey, Girl, Stop what you're doin' E D A D E D A D Hey, Girl, You'll drive me to ruin E D A D E DAD I don't know what it is I like about you, but I like it alot E D A D E D A D Oh, to let me hold you, Let me feel you lovin charms.

Chorus

A7 Communication breakdown its always the same

B7 I'm havin' a nervous breakdown .. drive me insane

E

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm pretty sure one of the first songs I learned was 'Houses of the Holy.'

It's mostly based around A (major) with the verses going to E, D, and G.

Other than that (aside, perhaps, from the little bendy fills he does) the song is pretty straightforward.

Immigrant Song!

Ha! wait... you aren't serious, are you?

It's such a simple riff, but it can be surprisingly tough to master (particularly with the jump between octaves on the F# chord ---- the alternate picking)

Although admittedly, I did try to learn it very early on (too early).

Ha! wait... you aren't serious, are you?

It's such a simple riff, but it can be surprisingly tough to master (particularly with the jump between octaves on the F# chord ---- the alternate picking)

Although admittedly, I did try to learn it very early on (too early).

I know what you're talking about, Immigrant song and and the wanton song are very difficult to master, octave grooves require a very advanced picking hand, which i don't have, yet.

As for easy songs, the Rover is a very easy pentatonic riff and a good chord transition, a good song to grow up to. also Custard pie is super easy, she can also try her luck with No quarter, it's not that easy but it's just too much fun to play, and a good practice song. ozone baby is sooooo easy to play (if you like it) and Heartbreaker, how many more times and communication breakdown have been mentioned before. so you have loads of choices, Good Luck for your Daughter.

Actually I was just picturing the open E twelfth fret E version. I'd figure there's nothing easier, as it's my go-to riff when I want to show off by playing with my nose, or drumsticks, etc

But immigrant song is F# note not E :huh: i know it wouldn't sound bad, but it's so not Original.

Yes I've always been bad at "learning" songs from memory, usually long after the last time I hear them. Have never done the slowed down cd thing. So yeah, the purists always clobber me with "uh, you know that's an A minor diminished augmented with a whirley que--right? Not a power chord!" :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you're talking about, Immigrant song and and the wanton song are very difficult to master, octave grooves require a very advanced picking hand, which i don't have, yet.

As for easy songs, the Rover is a very easy pentatonic riff and a good chord transition, a good song to grow up to. also Custard pie is super easy, she can also try her luck with No quarter, it's not that easy but it's just too much fun to play, and a good practice song. ozone baby is sooooo easy to play (if you like it) and Heartbreaker, how many more times and communication breakdown have been mentioned before. so you have loads of choices, Good Luck for your Daughter.

The rover requiers 1/2 step bends harldy easy for a beginner.

Hey Traveler, might I suggest "Heartbreaker" and "Ramble On"? I am a new player myself and picked these two up quite easily.

This guy is teaching on an acoustic guitar but I play electric and it sounds great! What does she have for a guitar and amplifier?

Ramble on to play right is hard, and that clip is wrong, in fact only Page plays it right.

Ramble on to play right is hard, and that clip is wrong, in fact only Page plays it right.

Correct. To play Ramble On properly is no easy task. It involves a lot of quick chord jumps and constant powerful alternate strumming.

It took me a LONG time before I could play it confidently, and it can still break me into a sweat (if its on a high-action acoustic)!

Yeah man, I know what you mean. But once you CAN do the octave jumps - it is so ****in satisfying to power through immigrant/wanton song at full speed!

Keep workin at it!

Thats the Way is easy but you must tune the guitar differently. I dont have it in front of me but you can look up the tab online. I think its in open G? DADGAD?

Tangerine is easy. Am, G, D I believe off the top of my head.

Rock and Roll on electric not too hard but two note chords and bars.

The intro and verse part of In My Time of Dying is pretty easy, even though you have to use a slide. It is in an open tuning (A I think?), but it sounds fine in standard. Here's a link to the tab: http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/led-zeppelin-in-my-time-of-dying-tab-s22699t0

By the way, if you need tabs, use songsterr.com . I learned pretty much every song I know on the website.

The intro and verse part of In My Time of Dying is pretty easy, even though you have to use a slide. It is in an open tuning (A I think?), but it sounds fine in standard. Here's a link to the tab: http://www.songsterr...ng-tab-s22699t0

By the way, if you need tabs, use songsterr.com . I learned pretty much every song I know on the website.

Guitar pro is good to, and it plays the notes too.

Archived