Live on Blueberry Hill

bamf4k

Seems like there is 3/27/1970 and a few shots of the LZ 2 sessions. Sam, do you have a date for those photos?

I don't think there is a known date of the LZII session photos, ask the photographer Chuck Boyd if you'd like to know.

• Administrators

Seems like there is 3/27/1970 and a few shots of the LZ 2 sessions. Sam, do you have a date for those photos?

The Whole Lotta Love session photos are April 1969, either A & M Studios or Mirror Sound. His other live photos: San Bernardino 8-8-69, LA 3-27-70 and LA 9-4-70

The Whole Lotta Love session photos are April 1969, either A & M Studios or Mirror Sound. His other live photos: San Bernardino 8-8-69, LA 3-27-70 and LA 9-4-70

Wow, pretty sweet! Sorry to be off topic but do you know anything on this rumored 8mm film of Zep in the studio recording the 2nd album?

It's not so much the fact that it has buttons that prevents it from being a tank top, it's the fact that it opens down the front. You could have a sleeveless jumper with buttons down the front that don't open, and that would be a tank top, IMO.

Also, I think tank tops were somewhat shorter than jumpers, ending around the navel area. Like an elongated boob tube. As worn by the Bay City Rollers, for example.

Bay City Rollers. nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I had definitely stopped wearing Tank tops when they came on the scene.Most likely onto Levi or Wrangler Denim shirts by then...........My back lawn is looking good now by the way..

• 2 years later...

Tank tops didn't have buttons IIRC.

What JP's wearing would be better described as a sleeveless cadigan. I'll bet that's what it said on his gran's knitting pattern.

Hmm..Ah well you've got me there. I did not notice the buttons. Though I still stand by my original comment that the sleeveless jumpers/sweaters that were worn by my peer group and I back in the late 60s early 70s were known as Tank tops.........This is all rather silly really, I don't know why I even bothered to comment in the first place....Must have been bored...Anyhow it's a nice day so I think i will go and give my back lawn it's first mow of the year.

It's not so much the fact that it has buttons that prevents it from being a tank top, it's the fact that it opens down the front. You could have a sleeveless jumper with buttons down the front that don't open, and that would be a tank top, IMO.

Also, I think tank tops were somewhat shorter than jumpers, ending around the navel area. Like an elongated boob tube. As worn by the Bay City Rollers, for example.

JTM and Major Major .. I am loving the tank top discussion. Please don't leave it there: Led Zeppelin offers such a wealth of clothing commentary I'd love to see you two argue it out over all the rest of it !

Personally I am with Major Major on this tank top issue. The knitted Zoso top is a classic one: THAT is a tank top.

The RAH garment is more in the vanguard of tank tops, without having got there ( and yes the Bay City Rollers were the tank top moment, and indeed finished it off forever, but that all just shows that JP was well ahead of the curve on that one ) ... not sure that the RAH one has a name other than a knitted argyle waistcoat.

In England in 1970 you wouldn't find it called a sweater vest .... though maybe it was that in the States ..

JTM and Major Major .. I am loving the tank top discussion. Please don't leave it there: Led Zeppelin offers such a wealth of clothing commentary I'd love to see you two argue it out over all the rest of it !

Personally I am with Major Major on this tank top issue. The knitted Zoso top is a classic one: THAT is a tank top.

The RAH garment is more in the vanguard of tank tops, without having got there ( and yes the Bay City Rollers were the tank top moment, and indeed finished it off forever, but that all just shows that JP was well ahead of the curve on that one ) ... not sure that the RAH one has a name other than a knitted argyle waistcoat.

In England in 1970 you wouldn't find it called a sweater vest .... though maybe it was that in the States ..

Yes, Americans would call the knit garment Jimmy Page wore at the Royal Albert Hall concert a sweater vest. In the U.S., a tank top not only doesn't have sleeves; it also leaves most of the shoulders bare. We would call Page's knitted Zoso top a sweater vest as well.

Archived