What is the best bootleg?

porca41

^ Last Dazed too! I go between 5/24 and 5/25 for my favorite 75 shows. Watched the 24th on Thursday, but wasn't able to work in the 25th last night - maybe tonight though!

:)

Watched the 24th on Thursday, but wasn't able to work in the 25th last night

:)

Yeah, I watched the first 1/3 of the 24th and the middle 1/3 of the 25th on the exercise bike on the respective days. Excellent stuff.

Charles Shaar Murrary, wherever you are, keep taking the pills.

Those things happen. I stand by my statements. When a new person wishes to play thread police, they should first read the guidelines. Secondly, there are plenty of threads on what are the best bootlegs. Use the search function (also in the guidelines). Neither are unreasonable requests.

Thirdly, no one asked ledzepfilm to stick his 2 cents in regarding my response. I don't particularly care for him telling me what I should do. He had an opinion, and I had one for him. Simple as that.

Since the OP didn't qualify the meaning of "best" I will simply add that in terms of sound quality Four Blocks In The Snow is one of the best. Performance is from Feb 12, 1975 and it is a matrix of the SBD and one of the 2 AUD recordings available.

I'd like to know three things for Reference:

The Best boot by audio quality regardless of the performance.

The Best performance regardless of the audio quality.

The Best performance overall with the best audio quality, and/or by year.

First off, read the entire thread - lots of answers to your questions there.

Second, all this stuff is subjective, but off the top of my head, my answers, in the order you posed the questions, would be:

Best quality: 01-22-73, 2-12-75, 3-05-75, or 5-25-75

Best performance: tough choices, but candidates include 01-11-69, 04-24-69, 04-27-69, 09-04-70, 09-29-71, 06-25-72, 03-16, 19, 21, 22 and 24-73, 03-20-75, 03-21-75, 05-24-75, 04-28-77, 05-30-77, 06-21 to 27-77, and 07-24-79

Best combo: hell if I know. Too many to choose from.

1/22/73 - the only boot we have sourced from multi-track tapes.

honorable mention - 2/12/75 fantastic sounding SBD-AUD matrix.

9/23/71 - Zep on the '71 Japan tour at the top of their game

honorable mention - 9/19/70 second show.

9/29/71 - Japan '71 show with best SQ.

honorable mention - 4/27/69, 8/31/69, 8/31/71

I have started a few threads to try to get some consensus about 1-22-73, I have been trying to figure what the best sounding version is too. I have the original (sorry, I don't have any "bootlegs" titles, just downloads), the FACE07 remaster, the CMI remaster of the EVSD source, and the TomP remaster of the CMI remaster. Remastering was necessary due to Plants vocals being so low. Each sounds a little different but all have an increased noise floor (background hiss).

The FACE07 remaster had the muddiness of the mid-bass reduced and used a little compression to bring Plant up and give the sound a little crispness. He also fixed some of the volume and balance fluctuations.

The CMI version had the digital glitches fixed and a lot of compression added to really bring out Plant's voice but this raised the background noise and caused some clipping.

The TomP version attempted to deal with CMI's compression through a slight expansion, used some NR to remove hiss and bumped up the treble. He also fixed more of the digital pops and clicks, and the balance and volume fluctuations. He even managed to remove some of those annoying feedback squeals.

I'm still not sure any remaster I've heard is "better" than the original, especially during the quieter parts when all that compression is audible.

What are you all thinking about this?

I'd like to know three things for Reference:

IMHO, and I say this out of respect for a member who like myself, has seen the band live on different tours, I think Berkeley 9/14 is about as close as it get's to true live sound. Yes, there is a lack of bottom end on the recording but aside from that, I believe it's about as true as anything out there

• 1 year later...

I remember the days when a new Led Zeppelin bootleg was news, and nearly as easy to buy as the studio releases. Blueberryhill was everywhere in 1971, and I remember reading a review in the music press about the Going to California double album, which was for sale in the small ads in the same publication. It was easy to keep up with them in those days, but now there are so many that I have missed I was wondering if any fans could tell me their favourites, so I can reliably whitle it down to a few definitive ones.

I would say Southampton Jan 22 1973! I love How Many More Time on there!!! I have about 60, and that must be one of my favourites. The sound is amazing. Bonzo sounds so cool on it, too! Knebworth August 4 1979, Fillmore April 24 1969, Hamburg 1973, Kezar 1973, Copenhagen warm up 1979 and Madison 1975 are also up there. Too many to mention, but contact me and I will tell you what I have! :P Jem )

• 4 weeks later...

Newb here,

Just listened to a SOUNDBOARD Dallas concert and was amazed(Dallas 3/75 Chasing the dragon).

I no longer can stomach audience recordings, way too noisy.

Where is the best place to obtain these recordings?(I'm also interested in Firm and Outrider stuff)

Thanks,

RoP

I no longer can stomach audience recordings, way too noisy.

Where is the best place to obtain these recordings?(I'm also interested in Firm and Outrider stuff)

I myself prefer soundboards, but ledzepfilm is right: Don't write off all audience recordings because you've experienced one of their soundboards. :P

If you're interested in more, it shouldn't be hard to find. The other "big" community of Zep fans is probably the place to be, assuming you don't ruffle any feathers.

I've heard a handful of recordings all from the audience(Chicago 75, Inglewood 77, la forum 76&77, coppenhagen warm ups 79, cellarful of noise - japan, live at earls) I really couldn't believe the difference and frankly didn't know they even existed, soundboard recordings that is - not even sure what it means exactly -lol. ?the other "big" community?

• 3 weeks later...

Just listened to a SOUNDBOARD Dallas concert and was amazed(Dallas 3/75 Chasing the dragon).

Great bootleg - Sick Again, OTHAFA, IMTOD, TSRTS are phenomenal.

For the longest time, this date - 3/4/75 - was the only representation from the 75' North American of Led Zeppelin from a soundboard source. It was on the "Swingin' Pig" label/Title - "Trampled Underfoot"

Great bootleg - Sick Again, OTHAFA, IMTOD, TSRTS are phenomenal.

For the longest time, this date - 3/4/75 - was the only representation from the 75' North American of Led Zeppelin from a soundboard source. It was on the "Swingin' Pig" label/Title - "Trampled Underfoot"

Yes, it was my first '75 soundboard. I got a copy in '88 through ZOSO magazine. OTHAFA is a monster! Good show, has the part after Moby Dick surfaced? Plant was pissy, bitching about the crowd...I need to pull that one out again soon!

:peace:

OTHAFA is a monster!

has the part after Moby Dick surfaced?

:peace:

That version of OTHAFA is my absolute favorite.

The Empress Valley release - Chasing The Dragon - has most of Moby Dick - it cuts off before the conclusion, and picks up after Bonham ends it.

I first heard three songs from this concert - RnR, SA, and OTHAFA - from a bootleg box set I purchased called "Cabala"

• 4 months later...

Archived