LUCIFER RISING

sam_webmaster

Wait...people are questioning something that Page released?! Shouldn't we all be so proud and excited that we have the opportunity to purchase such a creation? An at $45 it's practically a steal.

:rolleyes:

Jimmy could have been making new music for more than 30 years now. He did some in the 90's, and nothing, as far as I know, since. It hasn't happened yet, and in all reality it probably wont. Be happy with what you can get, and only get it if you want it. It's no secret what Lucifer Rising is, and there is no excuse for anyone to not know what it sounded like prior to purchase. No where did he say that new material would be added to it, and it shouldn't have been expected.

Everyone bitches that there are no new releases, then they bitch because the new releases aren't what they want. Packaging sucks, music sucks, just a money grab, :blahblah:

Listened to a friend's copy of this. Almost identical to the bootlegs available for years. Very little changed.

Why name it "Lucifer Rising and Other Soundtracks"? Why not give us some outtakes from DW2, or the much talked about "Jonesy-Pagey-Jason" works in progress? Honestly, if this is what we can expect from JP.com, then all that waiting for the website to launch.....

I'm as huge a fan of Jimmy Page and Zeppelin as you're likely to find but I didn't purchase this. Nor does the release of this or the Death Wish II soundtrack upset me in the least. I already own the Death Wish II soundtrack on vinyl so this release didn't really interest me. If you're expecting people to protest these releases and refuse to purchase them, you're fighting a losing battle. Obviously lots of fans are interested in them or they wouldn't be buying these records and posting about them here. When and if Page decides to record and release new music that's up to him. Typing in all caps and throwing a temper tantrum like a child on a message board isn't going to accomplish anything except maybe to make you look foolish and perhaps even worse, selfish. A very wise man once sang, "you don't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need". Perhaps you'd be wise to take a step outside, take a deep breath and shake it off. It's not worth getting all upset about.

+1.

I would've liked to have bought the book but I couldn't swing it at the time. I would've liked to have bought DW2 and LR but I don't have a turntable currently. Nonetheless, I'm happy Jimmy has opened a door to the fans with the website and I'm glad he's giving hardcore collectors a chance to buy some of this stuff.

And what artist is inspired by fans throwing tantrums? What good does it do? He's been talking about new music for years, if it happens, it happens. Back in the early 80's a lot of us would have been surprised to know that Jimmy is still with us in 2012, let alone healthy, happy, and "with it". Have a little dose of perspective.

Anyone else have a damaged pressing? It seems that my side two has a few skips and some anomalies that the stylus jumps around. I don't know what can be done about this, I guess it's the super limited edition?

I met Jimmy some months ago and have a photo with him, that's much more than enough for me

Hi Laura Page,

That is fantastic!! I am not wanting to go too much 'off topic' on the thread, but would you give us more detail about your meeting with Jimmy, how it came about, where were you etc. :)

OH

WOW

I received my album 2 weeks ago but I've been away and unable to listen.

I can't believe how much better it is than the bootleg on Youtube.

I am so grateful for the release of this album as evidence of the breadth and ambition of Jimmy Page's musicianship. It's fascinating and really exciting to hear, and in its way, it has recaptured for me the moments so many years ago when I first recognised that here was a brilliant musician.

This thread has featured so little discussion of the actual music - as far as i can see no one has featured this TBL review which makes some great points:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?p=13933

Uncut magazine's review is also worth a read - as it says:

"Part of the overwhelming richness of Led Zeppelin’s music stemmed from the diverse and esoteric influences that Page brought to arcane blues structures" - that's exactly why this release is really important, and is not the arrogant indulgence which others have suggested.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercury-sound/jimmy-page-lucifer-rising-and-other-sound-track

The Uncut review also raises the question of "why this enduring avant-garde interest has manifested itself so rarely in public" . Why would we not be grateful that on this occasion, it has. ?

Jahfin - that's the problem!! Jimmy's fans have gotten to the point where they are "happy" or "content" with anything, no matter how nondescript, that Jimmy decides to release!

All this re-packaging and limited release and autographed merchandise is and should be viewed as unacceptable material, not worthy of Jimmy or his legacy.

If Jimmy spent as much time creating NEW material as he does in his re-packaging of older, no longer relevant material than he would be considered a REAL artist once again.

yes

so don't buy it (as i didn't)...and quit pissing and moaning when nothing new comes out.....he has nothing new....he can't play anymore....he's done

this lucifers rising shit has been around forever.....it's not new

nice packaging.......nice for the collector aspect of things

thats it.....anyone who sits there transfixed and thinks they are hearing something new and/or awesome better go get their head examined

but if that's whatcha like........good for you

OH

WOW

I received my album 2 weeks ago but I've been away and unable to listen.

I can't believe how much better it is than the bootleg on Youtube.

I am so grateful for the release of this album as evidence of the breadth and ambition of Jimmy Page's musicianship. It's fascinating and really exciting to hear, and in its way, it has recaptured for me the moments so many years ago when I first recognised that here was a brilliant musician.

This thread has featured so little discussion of the actual music - as far as i can see no one has featured this TBL review which makes some great points:

http://www.tightbutl...lweb09/?p=13933

Uncut magazine's review is also worth a read - as it says:

"Part of the overwhelming richness of Led Zeppelin’s music stemmed from the diverse and esoteric influences that Page brought to arcane blues structures" - that's exactly why this release is really important, and is not the arrogant indulgence which others have suggested.

http://www.uncut.co....her-sound-track

The Uncut review also raises the question of "why this enduring avant-garde interest has manifested itself so rarely in public" . Why would we not be grateful that on this occasion, it has. ?

Thanks for the TBL link and refreshing positivity!

(The Uncut link didn't work. Does this: http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercury-sound/jimmy-page-lucifer-rising-and-other-sound-tracks?)

this lucifers rising shit has been around forever.....it's not new

nice packaging.......nice for the collector aspect of things

thats it.....anyone who sits there transfixed and thinks they are hearing something new and/or awesome better go get their head examined

but if that's whatcha like........good for you

Your opinion - no need to lambast other people's musical tastes.

Hi all,

I tried to do what I could to get a hold of a signed deluxe copy through JP.com but it didn't work out for me this time, so if any of you 'lucky' ones who did manage to get one ever hit hard times (not so lucky) and want your signed copy to go to a good home, please let me know how much and I'm sure that we can sort something out.

Regards

Anyone else have a damaged pressing? It seems that my side two has a few skips and some anomalies that the stylus jumps around. I don't know what can be done about this, I guess it's the super limited edition?

Hi publicenemy3

If you are in the UK, you are covered by The Sale of Goods Act and The EU Distance Selling Regulations. Take a look at your invoice and contact the selling agent. A brand new item should not have a flaw such as you describe. Insist on a replacement - even if that edition is sold out - it may be (like JP's book) that there were extra copies made to allow for a situation like yours. Indeed, JP gave Ross Halfin a copy after they were sold out. Good luck. :)

edit: I have just noticed you are in California. No problem - you are still dealing with a product which was sold from the United Kingdom. Quote the above legislation to them to remind them of their legal obligation to provide goods which are fit for purpose - go for it!!

Hi all,

I tried to do what I could to get a hold of a signed deluxe copy through JP.com but it didn't work out for me this time, so if any of you 'lucky' ones who did manage to get one ever hit hard times (not so lucky) and want your signed copy to go to a good home, please let me know how much and I'm sure that we can sort something out.

Regards

Keep checking eBay - I've seen a couple pop up so far. Not for very cheap, though.

Keep checking eBay - I've seen a couple pop up so far. Not for very cheap, though.

Yep, I've seen and bid on both of those two so far without success :(

Just thought that I would put a shout out on here in hope that I might find someone else willing to sell and maybe set something up using PayPal but outside of eBay which would make things more financially beneficial for both parties involved while keeping both parties covered if you know what I mean.

I was just going to say the same thing.

I'd be very disappointed if I'd coughed up for this. Heard side one before, unimpressed then, no change 2nd time. Side 2 is only about 11mins long, the longest being a 3.30 reprise of the main theme.

Not exactly a 'must hear', then. Doubt I'll listen to it again.

Having coughed up twice for it (once on LP, once on CD) I'm rather choked to pick it up a third time, but I Will. I do have a direct-drive linear-tracking turntable, so I'll buy it when I see it at my local specialty shop, like I like for the Beach Boys "SMiLE." But I appreciate the Green Demon's sharers for giving me the opportunity to verify that it was what it was supposed to be.

"Lucifer Rising" strikes me the way that the LP "Brian Jones Presents The Master Musicians of Jojouka" strikes me-- like the music of the Night of Pan-- literally 'Pan-ic." It is not cacophony, like (say) Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music", it is more an aural sculpture, like the Beatles "Revolution No. 9", your reaction tells more about you than it does about the quality of the music. "No longer relevant material?" Mr. Page was at the very *height* of his creativity at the time that these pieces were written. If he releases an entire 3-LP set of outtakes of the never-recorded "Swan Song" (from the same period) I'll buy that too, and be able to hear the genius in it just as surely as I can hear it here.

Some of the faithful fans have been waiting almost 40 years to hear this. I'll listen to it again, and again, when I play it for my Zep-head friends so they can hear the upgrade to the sound, which is admirable. If you don't like it, I guess you just can't dig where Jimmy's head was at at the time-- lots of Moroccan and North Indian influences, which were still in his head 20 years later for "Unledded". But "Lucifer Rising" definitely counts among the more Avant-Guard pieces to come from a musician of Page's stature (Lennon's "Life With The Lions" would be another). It's not going to please everyone, but there's never a guarantee that you'll like every single thing your favorite artist ever puts out.

I was just going to say the same thing.

I'd be very disappointed if I'd coughed up for this. Heard side one before, unimpressed then, no change 2nd time. Side 2 is only about 11mins long, the longest being a 3.30 reprise of the main theme.

Not exactly a 'must hear', then. Doubt I'll listen to it again.

Having coughed up twice for it (once on LP, once on CD) I'm rather choked to pick it up a third time, but I Will. I do have a direct-drive linear-tracking turntable, so I'll buy it when I see it at my local specialty shop, like I like for the Beach Boys "SMiLE." But I appreciate the Green Demon's sharers for giving me the opportunity to verify that it was what it was supposed to be.

"Lucifer Rising" strikes me the way that the LP "Brian Jones Presents The Master Musicians of Jojouka" strikes me-- like the music of the Night of Pan-- literally 'Pan-ic." It is not cacophony, like (say) Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music", it is more an aural sculpture, like the Beatles "Revolution No. 9", your reaction tells more about you than it does about the quality of the music. "No longer relevant material?" Mr. Page was at the very *height* of his creativity at the time that these pieces were written. If he releases an entire 3-LP set of outtakes of the never-recorded "Swan Song" (from the same period) I'll buy that too, and be able to hear the genius in it just as surely as I can here it here.

Some of the faithful fans have been waiting almost 40 years to hear this. I'll listen to it again, and again, when I play it for my Zep-head friends so they can hear the upgrade to the sound, which is admirable. If you don't like it, I guess you just can't dig where Jimmy's head was at at the time-- lots of Moroccan and North Indian influences, which were still in his head 20 years later for "Unledded". But "Lucifer Rising" definitely counts among the more Avant-Guard pieces to come from a musician of Page's stature (Lennon's "Life With The Lions" would be another). It's not going to please everyone, but there's never a guarantee that you'll like every single thing your favorite artist ever puts out.

Let me back-track a bit. I just watched "It might Get Loud" for the 12th time and I can't help but watch Jimmy play with Jack and Edge wide-eyed in awe.

This is the Genius at work, playing IMTOD like a Lucifer Risen! He was PALYING!!! And Jack and Edgy were spell-bound!

Ever since IMGL was released I was sure Jimmy was going to come out with new material and show all of us what his genius can do....

I still wait - and wait - and wait. These re-re-re-releases like DW2 and LR just don't cut it. He can do much better, I KNOW he can.

But still we wait....until August 2012.

'Avant garde', eh? Is that really what we want from our hero at this stage in the game?
We are not talking about *this* stage in the game. We are talking about the stage of the game 40 years ago where Jimmy was becoming very influenced by the music of the indigenous peoples of North Africa, the Middle East, and the Indian sub-continent. You (and most others people here) have probably heard the attempts he did with the orchestra of native musicians in Bombay in 1973 (if memory serves) to record a couple of numbers like "Friends." It seems to have been one of the most creative periods of his career, and "Lucifer Rising" gives us (or some of us, at least) more insight to his artistic vision during that period. Someone suggested that Led Zeppelin invented "World Music"... no, for the record, this sort of "World Music" as it is now called, it could be argued was almost single-handedly brought back to public attention by the Beats and hippies: Brion Gyson who hired the Master Musicians of Jajouka to play in his Morroccan resteraunt for several years 1954-1958, and a decade later, he took Rolling Stone Brian Jones to their village,, who made (amazing) field recordings of the Master Musicians of Jojouka, the former Royal Musicians to the King of Morrocco for over 1000 years. Mick Jagger caused these recordings to be released posthumously as the LP "Brian Jones Presents The Master Musicians Of JoJouka" in 1969; I'm sure Jimmy was familiar with it. Avant-Gard Dancer/Poet/Film Maker Maya Dern did some similarly amazing field recordings of tunes and songs of the Vodou Societies around the same time, what their drum beats were, their ritual dances, etc. (See her film "Divine Horsemen" if you can find it, otherwise read the book.) An LP of these recordings was released in 1954 on Elecktra Label and sells for $50-150 depending on condition, IF you can locate a copy for sale. (Don't trust Amazon 2nd-market sellers when purchasing used LPs). Again, given Jimmy's *ahem* esoteric interests, I'd be quite suprised if he was unaware of the record or film (I know he knows the film's former distributor personally).

Just very gently had a look at mine. The text on it is as follows:

The music presented here was recorded in my home studio in Plumpton, Sussex.

Experimenting with the theatre of the avant-garde, during the early seventies on eight-track,

one-inch analogue tape. I had been asked to provide some music for the soundtrack of

Lucifer Rising by Kenneth Anger. I had already been experimenting with some textures

I thought might work and went about doubling the length of a piece for the film.

The instruments and overdubs were treated at source with processing and sonic effects.

In some cases sub-mixes were employed.

The current mixes involved balancing the track levels with no additional effects for the

final mix. Two of these ideas were to surface on Death Wish II ten years later.

I'd been quite involved in what had gone on in art labs prior to Lucifer Rising. I had an

interest in underground everything. Art college was a hotbed of everything that was

alternative, whether it be poetry, music, film and certainly art. It's not well known but in

The Yardbirds we did a number called Glimpses, and Glimpses was something that involved

a bow. The bowed guitar wasn't a novelty to me; I really considered that it was making music.

The manifestation of that is in The Song Remains The Same with the bow and the whole

imagery of the hermit. Anyway, with Glimpses I was playing with tapes. I had all these

sound effects, like the Staten Island ferry, crunching noises and the rattling of a locomotive

with its lonesome horn. The juxtaposition of sound you could have taken out of the Fillmore East

and put into an art lab. The bow was used extensively on the music featured here.

When light beams were used with security alarms I had an idea of using tape recorders that

were triggered by the beams. You could have a dancer affecting the music, interrupting the

light beam. The musical combination was whatever the dancer would be inspired by; by the

ambience of the audience and their own imagination.

So the fact that I got involved with Kenneth Anger and Lucifer Rising was really just a step

along the road of my interest in the extreme and alternative.

Jimmy Page, March 2012

side one

1. LUCIFER RISING - MAIN TRACK

Whilst in India I had acquired a bass tanpura, that provides a majestic drone.

I applied a chant, tabla drums, bowed guitar, acoustic twelve string guitar,

mellotron and a newly acquired ARP synthesiser that provided the Horns of Jericho.

A mix of music was presented to Kenneth Anger and was used

on showings of the first third of the film but not in the final cut.

side two

1. INCUBUS

This suggests the icy scratches and cutting embrace of the incubus at play.

Instrument: Guitar

2. DAMASK

Inspired by my journeys both on foot and through the

recordings of the masters. A simple homage to the sarangi.

Instrument: Six String Bowed Guitar

3. UNHARMONICS

With the harmonics and demonstrative bowed glissandos the

naked solo guitar moves cautiously through a sonic landscape.

Instruments: Six String Bowed Guitar, Bowed Guitar

4. DAMASK - AMBIENT

Damask Mix II returns from the original recording

with a more dense, heavily perfumed ambience.

Instrument: Six String Bowed Guitar

5. LUCIFER RISING - PERCUSSIVE RETURN

The main title with a surprise visitor. I had forgotten about

a percussive overdub courtesy of the ARP Odyssey synthesiser.

Instruments: Phased Chants, ARP Synthesiser, Mellotron,

Twelve String Guitar, Tabla

Master Guitarist and few glimpses of his inspirations from his Journeys in India....The Instruments of The North, Tabla, Saringi...

Ustad Ahmed Jan Thirakwa, Master of Tabla - AIR Films Division DocumentaryCirca '71

• 4 weeks later...

Archived