Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Led Zeppelin Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LUCIFER RISING

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

nirvana

nirvana

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
It's time Jimmy's fans say - NO MORE!!!!
If it ain't new and relevant to what an artist is capable of - WE DON'T WANT IT!
No matter the packaging and autographs - WE DON'T WANT IT!

For Lord's sake man - you're JIMMY PAGE! OUR FUCKIN' HERO!!!
DO SOMETHING WORTHY OF YOUR LEGACY AND OF OUR RAGING THIRST FOR NEW JIMMY PAGE ART!!!

Jahfin

Jahfin

Zep Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,748 posts
I'm as huge a fan of Jimmy Page and Zeppelin as you're likely to find but I didn't purchase this. Nor does the release of this or the Death Wish II soundtrack upset me in the least. I already own the Death Wish II soundtrack on vinyl so this release didn't really interest me. If you're expecting people to protest these releases and refuse to purchase them, you're fighting a losing battle. Obviously lots of fans are interested in them or they wouldn't be buying these records and posting about them here. When and if Page decides to record and release new music that's up to him. Typing in all caps and throwing a temper tantrum like a child on a message board isn't going to accomplish anything except maybe to make you look foolish and perhaps even worse, selfish. A very wise man once sang, "you don't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need". Perhaps you'd be wise to take a step outside, take a deep breath and shake it off. It's not worth getting all upset about.

swandown

swandown

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

I'm sorry - I just don't get it. This is a non-relevant piece of music. It COULD have been re-invented and a visionary piece of work but -
It just isn't much more than what it once was...

The latter statement proves the former statement.

nirvana

nirvana

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
Hey if you guys are fine with rehashed mediocrity from a genius, repackaging from a marketing executive, buzz words like "autographed", "limited", "deluxe", "numbered", etc.
AND you're willing to pay for it - well, no matter how I rant and rave nothing will convince your wide eyed drama over these release from the Page Inc. Group. Nothing.
Me, I DON'T WANT IT, it's unacceptable from a man I consider still capable of creating marvelous and new art. To me the JIMMY I knew was a genius - not some marketing
show preying on the past glories and waving a "For Sale" banner so fans can have something to murmur about.

Major Major

Major Major

Zep Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
^ +1.

Collectable, but totally unlistenable -so bad that even KA turned it down.

What I want to know is what happened to the rest of it? I'm sure I read that JP and/or KA had said that 26mins of 'music' was produced.

Melcórë

Melcórë

Zephead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

^ +1.

Collectable, but totally unlistenable -so bad that even KA turned it down.

What I want to know is what happened to the rest of it? I'm sure I read that JP and/or KA had said that 26mins of 'music' was produced.

Unlistenable? Subjective opinion, that.

Lucifer Rising isn't meant to be compared to the man's other musical accomplishments - it's an exercise in the avant-garde, in ambience. If you don't like it, move on...

Hey if you guys are fine with rehashed mediocrity from a genius, repackaging from a marketing executive, buzz words like "autographed", "limited", "deluxe", "numbered", etc.
AND you're willing to pay for it - well, no matter how I rant and rave nothing will convince your wide eyed drama over these release from the Page Inc. Group. Nothing.
Me, I DON'T WANT IT, it's unacceptable from a man I consider still capable of creating marvelous and new art. To me the JIMMY I knew was a genius - not some marketing
show preying on the past glories and waving a "For Sale" banner so fans can have something to murmur about.

What a load! He isn't forcing anyone to purchase it, and the fact that it sold as well as it did suggests that not everyone shares your opinion that it's "rehashed mediocrity"! Grow up, and let the people spend their money as they see fit.

It's this god awful negativity, self-deprecation, and tearing down of the band/members of the band that make me not want to visit sites like this...

Edited by Melcórë, 18 April 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Laura_Page

Laura_Page

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I agree about the statement that Jimmy should do new music. But some of us didn't have the opportunity to have this kind of works of his own in the time they were released. At last it still is his music, you can like or dislike it, but I see it in the same way you can buy Outrider, for instance.
Would I pay a hundred of pounds to have this same LP signed by his hand? Not at all. I met Jimmy some months ago and have a photo with him, that's much more than enough for me, a signature doesn't mean so much for me, but I can understand that someone wants an special edition, no matter which reasons move them to do it. So, I paid what I find a reasonable prize for a piece of music I REALLY LIKE. I suppose that's what moved the rest of people to do the same. I find something in it that you maybe not. Your and mine opinion are respectable.
If those LP's are released it's because they know some people is going to buy it. Well, you can see it as a mere way to make money. But I don't think that's incompatible with selling new music. If Jimmy had anything new to show, he would have already released it, I'm sure.

Edited by Laura_Page, 18 April 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Glyn

Glyn

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
Wait...people are questioning something that Page released?! Shouldn't we all be so proud and excited that we have the opportunity to purchase such a creation? An at $45 it's practically a steal.

:rolleyes:

Jimmy could have been making new music for more than 30 years now. He did some in the 90's, and nothing, as far as I know, since. It hasn't happened yet, and in all reality it probably wont. Be happy with what you can get, and only get it if you want it. It's no secret what Lucifer Rising is, and there is no excuse for anyone to not know what it sounded like prior to purchase. No where did he say that new material would be added to it, and it shouldn't have been expected.

Everyone bitches that there are no new releases, then they bitch because the new releases aren't what they want. Packaging sucks, music sucks, just a money grab, :blahblah:

Edited by publicenemy3, 18 April 2012 - 03:16 PM.

in_the_evening

in_the_evening

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
Listened to a friend's copy of this. Almost identical to the bootlegs available for years. Very little changed.
Why name it "Lucifer Rising and Other Soundtracks"? Why not give us some outtakes from DW2, or the much talked about "Jonesy-Pagey-Jason" works in progress? Honestly, if this is what we can expect from JP.com, then all that waiting for the website to launch.....

mstork

mstork

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

I'm as huge a fan of Jimmy Page and Zeppelin as you're likely to find but I didn't purchase this. Nor does the release of this or the Death Wish II soundtrack upset me in the least. I already own the Death Wish II soundtrack on vinyl so this release didn't really interest me. If you're expecting people to protest these releases and refuse to purchase them, you're fighting a losing battle. Obviously lots of fans are interested in them or they wouldn't be buying these records and posting about them here. When and if Page decides to record and release new music that's up to him. Typing in all caps and throwing a temper tantrum like a child on a message board isn't going to accomplish anything except maybe to make you look foolish and perhaps even worse, selfish. A very wise man once sang, "you don't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need". Perhaps you'd be wise to take a step outside, take a deep breath and shake it off. It's not worth getting all upset about.

+1.

I would've liked to have bought the book but I couldn't swing it at the time. I would've liked to have bought DW2 and LR but I don't have a turntable currently. Nonetheless, I'm happy Jimmy has opened a door to the fans with the website and I'm glad he's giving hardcore collectors a chance to buy some of this stuff.

And what artist is inspired by fans throwing tantrums? What good does it do? He's been talking about new music for years, if it happens, it happens. Back in the early 80's a lot of us would have been surprised to know that Jimmy is still with us in 2012, let alone healthy, happy, and "with it". Have a little dose of perspective.

Glyn

Glyn

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
Anyone else have a damaged pressing? It seems that my side two has a few skips and some anomalies that the stylus jumps around. I don't know what can be done about this, I guess it's the super limited edition?

Edited by publicenemy3, 19 April 2012 - 08:02 AM.

hecube

hecube

Zep Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
Finally, I had a high quality transfer made today from a high-end hi-fi set-up...

Time to get a couple of goats

kenog

kenog

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

I met Jimmy some months ago and have a photo with him, that's much more than enough for me

Hi Laura Page,

That is fantastic!! I am not wanting to go too much 'off topic' on the thread, but would you give us more detail about your meeting with Jimmy, how it came about, where were you etc. :)

truth and beauty

truth and beauty

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
OH
WOW
I received my album 2 weeks ago but I've been away and unable to listen.
I can't believe how much better it is than the bootleg on Youtube.
I am so grateful for the release of this album as evidence of the breadth and ambition of Jimmy Page's musicianship. It's fascinating and really exciting to hear, and in its way, it has recaptured for me the moments so many years ago when I first recognised that here was a brilliant musician.
This thread has featured so little discussion of the actual music - as far as i can see no one has featured this TBL review which makes some great points:
http://www.tightbutl...lweb09/?p=13933
Uncut magazine's review is also worth a read - as it says:
"Part of the overwhelming richness of Led Zeppelin’s music stemmed from the diverse and esoteric influences that Page brought to arcane blues structures" - that's exactly why this release is really important, and is not the arrogant indulgence which others have suggested.

http://www.uncut.co....her-sound-track

The Uncut review also raises the question of "why this enduring avant-garde interest has manifested itself so rarely in public" . Why would we not be grateful that on this occasion, it has. ?

beetleron

beetleron

Zep Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Jahfin - that's the problem!! Jimmy's fans have gotten to the point where they are "happy" or "content" with anything, no matter how nondescript, that Jimmy decides to release!
All this re-packaging and limited release and autographed merchandise is and should be viewed as unacceptable material, not worthy of Jimmy or his legacy.
If Jimmy spent as much time creating NEW material as he does in his re-packaging of older, no longer relevant material than he would be considered a REAL artist once again.

yes
so don't buy it (as i didn't)...and quit pissing and moaning when nothing new comes out.....he has nothing new....he can't play anymore....he's done
this lucifers rising shit has been around forever.....it's not new

nice packaging.......nice for the collector aspect of things

thats it.....anyone who sits there transfixed and thinks they are hearing something new and/or awesome better go get their head examined

but if that's whatcha like........good for you

mrledhed

mrledhed

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
beetleron

what do mean he can't play? he just THINKS he can't write new songs

Edited by mrledhed, 20 April 2012 - 05:30 PM.

Melcórë

Melcórë

Zephead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

OH
WOW
I received my album 2 weeks ago but I've been away and unable to listen.
I can't believe how much better it is than the bootleg on Youtube.
I am so grateful for the release of this album as evidence of the breadth and ambition of Jimmy Page's musicianship. It's fascinating and really exciting to hear, and in its way, it has recaptured for me the moments so many years ago when I first recognised that here was a brilliant musician.
This thread has featured so little discussion of the actual music - as far as i can see no one has featured this TBL review which makes some great points:
http://www.tightbutl...lweb09/?p=13933
Uncut magazine's review is also worth a read - as it says:
"Part of the overwhelming richness of Led Zeppelin’s music stemmed from the diverse and esoteric influences that Page brought to arcane blues structures" - that's exactly why this release is really important, and is not the arrogant indulgence which others have suggested.

http://www.uncut.co....her-sound-track

The Uncut review also raises the question of "why this enduring avant-garde interest has manifested itself so rarely in public" . Why would we not be grateful that on this occasion, it has. ?

Thanks for the TBL link and refreshing positivity!

(The Uncut link didn't work. Does this: http://www.uncut.co....er-sound-tracks?)

this lucifers rising shit has been around forever.....it's not new

nice packaging.......nice for the collector aspect of things

thats it.....anyone who sits there transfixed and thinks they are hearing something new and/or awesome better go get their head examined

but if that's whatcha like........good for you

Your opinion - no need to lambast other people's musical tastes.

Edited by Melcórë, 20 April 2012 - 08:34 PM.

2520zosos

2520zosos

-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all,

I tried to do what I could to get a hold of a signed deluxe copy through JP.com but it didn't work out for me this time, so if any of you 'lucky' ones who did manage to get one ever hit hard times (not so lucky) and want your signed copy to go to a good home, please let me know how much and I'm sure that we can sort something out.

Regards

kenog

kenog

Zep Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Anyone else have a damaged pressing? It seems that my side two has a few skips and some anomalies that the stylus jumps around. I don't know what can be done about this, I guess it's the super limited edition?

Hi publicenemy3

If you are in the UK, you are covered by The Sale of Goods Act and The EU Distance Selling Regulations. Take a look at your invoice and contact the selling agent. A brand new item should not have a flaw such as you describe. Insist on a replacement - even if that edition is sold out - it may be (like JP's book) that there were extra copies made to allow for a situation like yours. Indeed, JP gave Ross Halfin a copy after they were sold out. Good luck. :)

edit: I have just noticed you are in California. No problem - you are still dealing with a product which was sold from the United Kingdom. Quote the above legislation to them to remind them of their legal obligation to provide goods which are fit for purpose - go for it!!

Edited by kenog, 23 April 2012 - 05:29 AM.

Melcórë

Melcórë

Zephead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Hi all,

I tried to do what I could to get a hold of a signed deluxe copy through JP.com but it didn't work out for me this time, so if any of you 'lucky' ones who did manage to get one ever hit hard times (not so lucky) and want your signed copy to go to a good home, please let me know how much and I'm sure that we can sort something out.

Regards

Keep checking eBay - I've seen a couple pop up so far. Not for very cheap, though.

HOME | NEWS | DISCOGRAPHY | TIMELINE | PHOTOS | VIDEO | 12.10.07 | MERCHANDISE | CONTACT

LedZeppelin.com