PENTAGRAM: Anybody remember them?

Strider

Pentagram was a metal band from the 1970s. A so-called "street Black Sabbath" and forefather of doom metal, or whatever they call it.

My memory is a little fuzzy on them. I don't own any of their records nor do I have a clear memory of seeing them in concert, although it's possible they were one of the opening bands to some metal fest or tour that I've long forgotten about. It'll take me a while to scour through my archives to see if I saw them.

Does anybody else here have any recollections of Pentagram? Apparently they are a band held in some esteem by metalheads. The reason I bring this up is that there is a new documentary out about them called "Last Days Here", and it looks amazing. Here's the trailer:

I am going to the opening night party at the Cinefamily tonight, where the movie will be playing for a week. Along with the premiere and after-show party, Bobby Liebling himself will be there!

Should be an interesting night, to say the least.

I guess that's a "No", then.

Funny...with quite a few metalheads here, I thought somebody would have known. The movie is really good and Bobby Liebling is lucky to still be alive. I always thought John Frusciante was the guy I saw closest to death from drug abuse, but Bobby Liebling surpasses him. There are scenes in this movie that will turn your stomach; at the packed premiere I was at last Friday, the squirming and groans from the audience were very real. You could see some people shielding their eyes.

I don't want to give away anything, so I won't divulge any details here...other than to say there is a Kiss anecdote and there is a slight Led Zeppelin reference. If you like metal, or simply are into music documentaries, you need to put "Last Days Here" on your list.

There was a bit of buzz about the Anvil documentary a couple years ago, and I consider "Last Days Here" better than that Anvil flick...for two reasons.

One: the stakes are much higher in "Last Days Here"...literally a man's life. If ever there was a walking advertisement for the horrors of drug abuse and the ways crack and heroin ravage the body, Bobby Liebling is it.

Two: Pentagram's music is better, in my opinion, than Anvil's.

Have a listen yourself:

Uh, what about side one of Metal On Metal - the best side of vinyl ever to come out of Canada?

1. Metal On Metal

2. Mothra. MOTHRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Stop Me

4. March Of The Crabs

5. Jackhammer

None of the songs you posted come anywhere close to any of those. IMO.

Are you high?

First off, "best side of vinyl to come out of Canada"? In a country that produced Neil Young and Joni Mitchell, Anvil might squeak into the top ten...barely.

Look, I loved the Anvil documentary as much as anyone, and applaud their tenacity and belief in themselves. But after seeing the movie, and curious as to why I had forgotten about them, I went back and dug out a couple old Anvil records I had and gave them a listen.

After listening, I remembered why they had faded from memory. They simply weren't all that great. Metal on Metal is one of those boring, leaden, stock riffs that had been done to death already. Mothra only reminded me that Blue Öyster Cult had been there, done that. Really, the only two songs that stick out for me are March of the Crabs and 666.

Pentagram has better guitar tones, better riffs(listen to "Relentless"), better vocals, a better groove. And this is just from listening to 1973 demo tapes.

Anvil is portrayed as the link between old-school metal like Maiden and Priest and the thrash bands to come like Metallica and Slayer. Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me. Priest and Maiden and Motorhead all sounded superior to Anvil...and they were just as fast.

Actually there was a metal album that came out in 1982 that pointed the way to the future more than Anvil. I was fortunate to get stationed in Germany in the fall of 1982, where a nice German girl named Uschi played me a record that would blow my socks off...and make Anvil sound old and slow.

Pentagram was a metal band from the 1970s. A so-called "street Black Sabbath" and forefather of doom metal, or whatever they call it. My memory is a little fuzzy on them. I don't own any of their records nor do I have a clear memory of seeing them in concert, although it's possible they were one of the opening bands to some metal fest or tour that I've long forgotten about. It'll take me a while to scour through my archives to see if I saw them. Does anybody else here have any recollections of Pentagram? Apparently they are a band held in some esteem by metalheads. The reason I bring this up is that there is a new documentary out about them called "Last Days Here", and it looks amazing. Here's the trailer:
I am going to the opening night party at the Cinefamily tonight, where the movie will be playing for a week. Along with the premiere and after-show party, Bobby Liebling himself will be there! Should be an interesting night, to say the least.
Watched this the other day.. really enjoyed it. Sundance Channel had it On Demand for $6.99.

• 5 months later...

My interest in Pentagram first began when I heard a cover version of the song "When The Screams Come" by the Swedish band Witchcraft. The front-man Magnus Pelander is evidently a huge fan of Pentagram and I was pretty curious to hear the original version of "When The Screams Come". I really love both the Pentagram and Witchcraft version. I purchased the album First Daze Here:The Vintage Collection fairly recently. I am planning to get First Daze Here Too pretty soon! Also after listening to "First Daze Here" about 5 to 6 times in one day (yes! it's so fuckin' addictive!) , I just fell in love with Vincent McAllister's guitar playing!!! :wub:

Strider, if ever you wish to get a Pentagram CD, I highly recommend BOTH "First Daze Here" and "First Daze Here Too". Trust me on this one! ;)B)

http://youtu.be/4ueIhF-a5_g

http://youtu.be/-RnChW5iEd8

My interest in Pentagram first began when I heard a cover version of the song "When The Screams Come" by the Swedish band Witchcraft. The front-man Magnus Pelander is evidently a huge fan of Pentagram and I was pretty curious to hear the original version of "When The Screams Come". I really love both the Pentagram and Witchcraft version. I purchased the album First Daze Here:The Vintage Collection fairly recently. I am planning to get First Daze Here Too pretty soon! Also after listening to "First Daze Here" about 5 to 6 times in one day (yes! it's so fuckin' addictive!) , I just fell in love with Vincent McAllister's guitar playing!!! :wub:

Strider, if ever you wish to get a Pentagram CD, I highly recommend BOTH "First Daze Here" and "First Daze Here Too". Trust me on this one! ;)

Thanks for the tip, Kiwi, but I already got them long ago.

Archived