Jimmy Page Two Stacks

Giordano

On stage you often see the man using to full marshall stacks (setup in his own personal way)

why did he use two stacks?

The third one was for the Theremin. The other two must have been for the guitar.

Was there one as a backup or did he link them together?

Does anyone know?

Befor there were good PA's if bands wanted to play louder they needed bigger amps and cabintes, so john and pete from the who asked Jim Marshall to help them which created the "stack". A lot of people still prefer to use stacks even after the advancement of PA technology. Here is a link below.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/marshallstack.html

I meant; Page has TWO stacks on stage.

I know about the absence of PA's.

Did he link the two stacks together with a splitter or did use one as backup or for a different sound

so three amps in total...one for the theremin and two for guitar. why the two?

you can jump old marshall and fender heads together or with marshalls and I think Hiwatt too you can jump one with itself and slave it into the other head. It's just louder that's all. By 71 Jimmy was only using 3 marshall 4x12's on his side with the one orange head and 2 orange cabinets. I've always wanted to know why 3 cabinets and 2 heads, maybe the marshall cabinet on Jone's side is the 4th cabinet from Jimmy's set up. You might have better luck on a marshall forum.

Everything before 71 was simple, 2 heads 4 cabinets. Like royal Albert hall for example, two heads and 4 cabinets. But about the same time he went to 3 Marshalls cabinets seems to be about the same time a Marshall cabinet shows up on Jone's side. I have seen pictures where both Marshall heads had both (2) speaker inputs plugged in, so each cabinet has one input, so 2 heads with two inputs each equals 4 total speaker cables which means 4 cabintes, but only 3 cabinets are present on Jimmy's side in the same picture?? Your guess is good as any

It would make sense to have a cabinet on the other side of the drumskit.

For himself whenever he felt like making a strole to other side of the stage (with no monitoring you'd have some trouble hearing yoirself pleasently)

and for Jones and Plant.

slaving them sounds plausibel as well. no monitors but also no house PA. So all you's hear in the back of the hall, would be what's coming from the actual amp itself.

It's a wonder they maintained any hearing at all.

• 1 month later...

What ye

Everything before 71 was simple, 2 heads 4 cabinets. Like royal Albert hall for example, two heads and 4 cabinets. But about the same time he went to 3 Marshalls cabinets seems to be about the same time a Marshall cabinet shows up on Jone's side. I have seen pictures where both Marshall heads had both (2) speaker inputs plugged in, so each cabinet has one input, so 2 heads with two inputs each equals 4 total speaker cables which means 4 cabintes, but only 3 cabinets are present on Jimmy's side in the same picture?? Your guess is good as any

ars are we taking about? Because by 1972, he had only one full stack on stage and three half stacks.

What years are we taking about? Because by 1972, he had only one full stack on stage and three half stacks: Marshall full stack, Marshall half stack, and two Orange half stacks. One with a Marshall amp head and one was for the theremin with an Orange amp head.

Sydney, Australia 2/27/1972

jaj4ll.jpg

Dundee, Scotland 1/27/1973

2nwpw.jpg

San Antonio, Texas 5/22/1973

29psx86.jpg

Inglewood, California 6/3/1973

20pr3g1.jpg

Later in 1973, he painted the Orange cabinets black. He ripped the Orange label off the front of the amp as he did with the Marshalls and replaced the Orange amp heads with Marshalls. There are more photo's from 1975 that show it.

Chicago, Illinois 1/21/1975

2psp1k9.jpg

US Tour 1975

nnn05h.jpg

Chicago, Illinois 1/20/1975

1zqq653.jpg

US Tour 1975

yne5e.jpg

By 1977, he got rid of the Orange amps and had all Marshall's.

Landover, Maryland 5/28/77

vwxqx3.jpg

That Marshall cab could have possibly been Jones'. He put all of his beers and shit on it. Maybe it was just there.

k4vzgw.jpg

you can jump old marshall and fender heads together or with marshalls and I think Hiwatt too you can jump one with itself and slave it into the other head. It's just louder that's all. By 71 Jimmy was only using 3 marshall 4x12's on his side with the one orange head and 2 orange cabinets. I've always wanted to know why 3 cabinets and 2 heads, maybe the marshall cabinet on Jone's side is the 4th cabinet from Jimmy's set up. You might have better luck on a marshall forum.

Uh...no. Mmmmm. Those look like Hiwatts to me and its 1971. And he is clearly using more Marshall's than just three.

Southampton 3/11/71

2dbqtzt.jpg

Newcastle-upon-Trye 3/18/71

300bj2u.jpg

Milan 7/5/71

21l1jjn.jpg

Berkeley 9/14/71

jzt9nb.jpg

By this point he had Hiwatts, Marshalls, and Orange amps. However, it was not the set up he used from 1972-1975.

Tokyo 9/23/71

ige1j8.jpg

i4pemb.jpg

You can see the Hiwatts and Marshalls on stage left, Jimmy's side and Orange on stage right, probably Jimmy's, on stage left, Jones' side. And he had TWO Orange amp heads and TWO Orange cab.

By the Fall U.K. tour, he had the exact same set up as he did in the U.S. and Japan.

London(specific date undetermined) 1971

23k3mol.jpg

9pq87b.jpg

It was not until 1972 that I did indeed say that the amp set up changed to what you claim happened in 1971.

Melbourne 2/20/72

10huec7.jpg

s6spk2.jpg

are you fuckig serious dude, everything you just said I already said, and it was 75 when he switched his orange amp for another super lead head

So no I didn't repeat you.

veyhvq.jpg

But I do admit I was wrong about the switching of the amp head in 1973.

Edit* Jones' side was stage right.

The U.S. 1972 tour he slightly changed his amp set up from what he had in Australia. He had three Marshall cabs, two Marshall amp heads, and two Univox cabs. The Univox amps were most likely for the theremin.

San Bernardino 6/22/72

x4r5z.jpg

San Diego 6/23/72

2qkkym8.jpg

Inglewood 6/25/72

2r5q3qa.jpg

In Japan and Montreux, he officially switched to the Marshall for guitars and Orange for theremin set-up that he had in Australia; however, he had three Marshall heads, not two at this time.

Osaka 10/9/72

mx20de.jpg

Montreux(specific date is undetermined) 1972 (supposedly 10/28/72)

13z9uu8.jpg

Montreux(specific date is undetermined) 1972 (supposedly 10/29/72)

293vmag.jpg

When Led Zeppelin did the Fall U.K. tour in 1972, he had the same exact set-up as he did in Australia and got rid of the third Marshall head on the full stack. This was his amp set up until the end of the U.S. 1973 tour.

Aberdeen 1/27/72]

xkuq7l.jpg

Your right it was 72 and I honestly knew that but was not paying attention to detail as I wrote all of the above., That last picture is the same set up he used all the way till the last zeppelin show, however he switched the orange head for another super lead and had the orange cabinets redone in black tolex. His amp set up has always been very strange at times, i'e seen pictures with two hiwatt heads, 4 marshall cabinets and two WEM speakers. Also I believe all of 71 he used the JP hiwatt dr103's with one or two super leads

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this thread was about the reason for having multiple amps (apart from the theremin one) on stage....

I come back from a holiday and it has turned into a pissing contest about who has had the most wanking sessions while analyzing Zep photographs. :-)

hahaha.

seriously. I know, it's fun to categorize all these insignificant facts.

Does anyone know what picks he used during the 76 -Eurasian tour?

well the reason for multiple amps is to run multiple cabinets, only 2 cabinets can be ran off one amp, at least on the super leads and i'm sure the hiwatts were the same. basically for volume, unless you set one amp different from the other and split the signal or slave them into one another, you can mix up tones, but most those guys like clapton with cream, pete otwnshend, hendrix and page did it to get more volume. in fact volume was the whole reason for the need for a 100 watt head and an 8x12 cabinet ( later split in half to two 4x12 cabinets) that john and pete frpm the who asked jim marshall to build. more volume means more cabinets which means more amps. i have played out of two vintage 100 watt tube heads at the same time with ear plugs and it made my hair vibrate!

• 4 months later...

Jimmy's older Marshall superleads where capable of running four 16 ohm cabs at once. My bet is that the 4x12 on Jonsey's side was Pagey's guitar, Page had 3 cabs on his side of guitar, plus 2 cabs running theremin

As loud as Bonham was, stage volume had to be maxed out to hear anything besides drums!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just spotted an error in  JimmyPageZoSo56  post from 2012 - the photo of Jimmy Page was not taken at Aberdeen in 73, it was Dundee 27-1-73, I took the photo and the other one also attached. The ZoSo logo was not on the stack during the Dundee Nov 13th concert in 71 nor at Ipswich a few days later. It appeared first appeared at the Wembley Empire Pool shows and remained there for years to come.

Jimmy Page Dundee 27-1-73.jpg

Dundee 27-1-73

Jimmy Page 27-1-73.jpg

Dundee 27-1-73

Jimmy Page Dundee 13-11-71.jpg

Dundee 13-11-71

_79642563_led-zeppelin-at-bath's-hall-ipswich-16-nov-71-pic-2--by-nigel-rea (2).jpg

Ipswich 16-11-71

Led Zeppelin 71-london.jpg

London 20-11-71

led-zeppelin-empire pool 71.jpg

London 20-11-71

liverpool1971a.jpg

Liverpool 29-11-71

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some clarifications here.

Page didn't use the Orange amp heads when he first got them in 1971. He gave them to JPJ for his keyboards. When Page finally got around to using an Orange amp for himself in 1972, he only used it for the theremin.

Page always had 2 complete stacks of 2 cabinets + 2 amp heads once he started running the Hiwatt Amp/Marshall Cabinet dual stack setup in 1969. Starting with the 1971 US tour, he started to split the cabinets up, leaving one full stack of cabinets on his side of the stage along with the bottom cabinet of the second stack. He moved the angled/top cabinet of the second stack to the other side of the stage, in between Bonham's kit and Jones' amps. Obviously, he did this so he could still hear himself when he was on that side of the stage, for when they were playing songs like Stairway where he needed to be in sync with Jones' keyboards.  When he added the Orange Cabinets and the Orange Amp head, he now had three bottom cabinets in a row on his side of the stage. The layout was: Marshall amp heads on the Marshall cabinet and one of the Orange cabinets, and the Orange amp on the remaining Orange cabinet. The Orange amp went to both Orange cabinets, and the two Marshall amps went to the 4 Marshall cabinets (the three on Page's side, and the one on Jones' side). One echoplex was reserved for the theremin/Orange amp only (Page didn't plug into the Orange or into that echoplex, only the theremin did), and the other echoplex was for Page's guitar and Marshalls, as his main echo unit. He used a splitter to split his signal from that echoplex to the two Marshall heads feeding the 4 Marshall cabinets. By 1975, same setup but with the Orange amps/cabs removed, leaving all Marshall.

The photo below from Sydney shows the setup well. Note the other Marshall head for Jones' keyboards, located to the left of the bass cabinets

On 5/17/2012 at 11:28 AM, JimmyPageZoSo56 said:

Sydney, Australia 2/27/1972

jaj4ll.jpg

Archived