LZ songs just you don't like...

DragonTelecaster

...C'mon, we all have some that you just don't like or won't listen to. I know we're all LZ fans here, but there has to be a few songs on your list.

Here's my list, as much as I hate to admit it:

In no particular order...

• Hot Dog
  • Carouselambra
  • Celebration Day
  • South Bound Suarez (Saurez; mis-spelled on the record label)
  • Tea For One
  • White Summer (can only listen to it a few times before I'm ready to move on to the next song)
  • Out On The Tiles
I know this may rub a few LZ fans raw, but I have to be honest. I love LZ's music, but those are just a few songs of theirs that I just can't listen to. Believe it or not, even D'yer Mak'er doesn't float my boat sometimes.

Fire away!

DT

If you don't like Carouselambra, Celebration Day or Out on the Tiles, we can't connect

I really like Zep's music, but there are a few I'm not into...

Example A: Poor Tom... not that interesting

South Bound Saurez(or Suarez, however it's spelled)... just not hitting it

Walter's Walk... meh..

Everything else I will willingly listen to nowadays, although the above I just can't seem to grasp as well as all other Zep songs

:tomato:

I think Walter's Walk woulda been something special with a better mix. The guitars are a little low for me and the bass isn't very recognizable, in a cut through sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved everything they did up until ITTOD. There is not one song on there i actually like which was a hell of a shock to the system! I remember playing it again and again desperately trying to find something to latch onto. Just doesn't sound like the band i once knew. Sorry!

It isn't the same band on that album but it still showcased their ability to venture into new territory. That's a damn good pop rock album and that's not meant as an insult.

• 4 weeks later...
  • DYER MAKER
  • RAIN SONG
  • TEN YEARS GONE (except for the "Did you ever really need somebody..." part)
  • ALL MY LOVE (though this has to be given a pass seeing what its subject matter is dealing with)
  • OZONE BABY (pass because it was originally overlooked by the band?)

These Rock: The Crunge, Hot Dog, Carouselambra, Hats Off to (Roy) Harper, Boogie with Stu, etc.

• RAIN SONG
  • TEN YEARS GONE (except for the "Did you ever really need somebody..." part)
  • ALL MY LOVE (though this has to be given a pass seeing what its subject matter is dealing with)

It's your opinion but wow :mellow:

There's no song I don't like, before saying anything I must listen again to Hot dog, Candy store rock, Walter's walk, Darlene, those are song I don't listen to, I don't know why

No such thing as a ZEPPELIN song that I don't like! Love them all! I feel this way for a couple of bands Lynyrd Skynyrd - I love everything - every song from the pre crash band! ( not so much now ). Also Van Halen - the 1st 6 albums till Dave left, Love every song. I cant say that about any other bands

• 2 weeks later...

Carouselambra. I would love it to be redone with a more 'intense' take. JPJ's jaunty keyboards kill it stone dead for me - you can imagine him rising out of the basement on an organ at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom. No offence meant to Jonesy but Carouselamba for me is the least representative song Zeppelin did. Jimmy just about saves it during the second half as he gives it some gravitas but I have never been able to listen to the first half without thinking "Dear God". Just IMHO of course.

• 7 months later...

:lol: This would be my Led Zeppelin setlist nightmare if they performed all these songs live
for a one - off concert.

Hats off To Roy Harper
Gallows Pole
Battle Of Evermore
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
South Bound Saurez
Hot Dog
All Of My Love
Carouselambra
Walters Walk

I skip over those tunes above and leave them off my L Z playlists. It's not very many.
The majority of their work is absolutely phenomenal, but these 10 are just not my cuppa.

I skip less and less these days. I used to skip a few. Nowadays, I like it all.

Hats Off I could not understand how it was even listenable in my early days. Now it is thrilling to me.

The one thing that often does get skipped is MobyDick. If Zep is background while I do stuff it's fine, but getting into a listening session? (live or releases) skip.

5 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

:lol: This would be my Led Zeppelin setlist nightmare if they performed all these songs live
for a one - off concert.

Hats off To Roy Harper
Gallows Pole
Battle Of Evermore
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
South Bound Saurez
Hot Dog
All Of My Love
Carouselambra
Walters Walk

I skip over those tunes above and leave them off my L Z playlists. It's not very many.
The majority of their work is absolutely phenomenal, but these 10 are just not my cuppa.

I understand how someone could dislike most of those but how could you not like gallows pole, sound bound saurez and all of my love? :huh: south bound has jimmy pages most ripping solo ever.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

I skip less and less these days. I used to skip a few. Nowadays, I like it all.

Hats Off I could not understand how it was even listenable in my early days. Now it is thrilling to me.

The one thing that often does get skipped is MobyDick. If Zep is background while I do stuff it's fine, but getting into a listening session? (live or releases) skip.

I like hats off but I think "feel so bad" would have probably been more well received had they used it instead.

also there is a version of moby dick without the drum solo on the new remasters.

2 hours ago, sk8rat said:

also there is a version of moby dick without the drum solo on the new remasters.

Feel so Bad is interesting! Thanks! Still prefer Hats Off.

Moby Dick without the drum solo - LOL. I can't work that one out.

Yes I'm guilty of disliking those 10 songs. :unsure: Please don't take away my Zep loving fan card! :lol:
I will say that every so often I do go back and re-listen to see if my opinion of them has changed -
so far they're remaining on the unloved list.  It's not signed in blood or written in stone though!

Now Moby Dick studio version I do like and in certain aspects live too, however I think  it's a song
when performed live should've been scaled back by good number of minutes. I'm game for Bonzo
doing his thing,  but just shorten it out.  After a bit I get to that point where I'm thinking
*Alrighty boys,
whatever you're doing backstage, it ( she ) can wait.  Haha.
:lol: Time to help John Henry out and move
into the next song in the set*

I can empathize with most of the answers here, but even the "B-list" stuff( HD, Carousel, Crunge, Walter's Walk, etc.)

I can never tune any song out . For me every song has something interesting in it(Saurez, damn good solo, AML has

some interesting guitar work, The Crunge is total departure, and so on). So these songs and others never quite reach

the stratosphere like most other Zep, but literally 98% of other bands do not have even come up with listenable

"bum" tracks with 1 or 2 at most for 7-8 consecutive albums. Many even great bands half the albums tracks are

WAY below par. But I totally respect fans just not getting certain songs. There could be dozens of reasons.

D'Yer Mak'er and Hot Dog are frequently cited as Zep train wrecks by fans.  Personally, I love both of them.  Always have.  I think my love of Hot Dog is largely a nostalgic thing being that I heard it for the first time, live, at Knebworth.  I just loved the way the guys grinned at each other while they belted it out.  As for D'Yer Mak'er, I've just always loved it.  Being a major drum-lover, I just love they way Bonzo drives this song hard.  Now I do tend to skip certain songs depending on my mood, but I have a habit of skipping Hats Off, The Crunge, and most of Coda,  

Yeah, DM and HD are too far afield for most Zep fans, although Physical

Graffiti and Houses of Holy have plenty of "departures" yet are more

successful. Funny how no one mentioned some of the out takes like

Baby Come Home or Girl with the wavy hair(whatever). IMO these songs

have some merit but clearly wouldn't match the quality or mood of any

album.

8 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

Yeah, DM and HD are too far afield for most Zep fans, although Physical

Graffiti and Houses of Holy have plenty of "departures" yet are more

successful. Funny how no one mentioned some of the out takes like

Baby Come Home or Girl with the wavy hair(whatever). IMO these songs

have some merit but clearly wouldn't match the quality or mood of any

album.

I love baby come on home, it definitely has a pre zep robert plant vibe to it. girl I love and all the other stuff from the bbc sessions have a very unique sound that I agree doesn't really coincide with their studio albums although I personally think that had they maybe done some other originals during those session they could have made a killer album out of it.

I always thought that your time is gonna come didn't really fit on the first album but I don't think it would fit on any of the other albums either.

Living Loving Maid - I always skip over this track, and always turn the radio dial when they invariably insist on playing it right after HB.

Tea For One - I just can't get into Robert's sorrow on this song.

Royal Orleans - Didn't care for it back in '76, but I might listen and not skip over it today.

Communication Breakdown, SIBLY, & Kashmir - I just don't care much for the studio versions. I skip them every time. The live versions are so much superior, imo.

HOTH (The album) - I believe this album is mixed to sugary for my tastes. But, several of the songs are my favorite songs in their live versions (TSRTS, NQ, OTHAFA).

I have never liked: D'yer Mak'er, Travelling Riverside Blues, or  Hey, Hey, What Can I Do.

• 1 year later...

I have a soft spot for ITTOD. I've always thought that the album has a very melancholy feel. When you know it's the end of the road, everything is heard through nostalgic ears. When I hear Hot Dog I can't help but think about 4 young, british boys who don't know each other, but all like the same kind of music and share a passion to bring it further. When I hear I'm Gonna Crawl, I hear the last breath of the monster that was Led Zeppelin, with all the ups and downs it has brought those who knew it better than anyone else. It makes me think about the kings who played heavier and louder than anyone else, and even though they went through some tough shit in their later years, they can still cry the blues better than anyone. I fucking love Led Zeppelin.

26 minutes ago, Policeman Dressed in Blue said:

I have a soft spot for ITTOD. I've always thought that the album has a very melancholy feel. When you know it's the end of the road, everything is heard through nostalgic ears. When I hear Hot Dog I can't help but think about 4 young, british boys who don't know each other, but all like the same kind of music and share a passion to bring it further. When I hear I'm Gonna Crawl, I hear the last breath of the monster that was Led Zeppelin, with all the ups and downs it has brought those who knew it better than anyone else. It makes me think about the kings who played heavier and louder than anyone else, and even though they went through some tough shit in their later years, they can still cry the blues better than anyone. I fucking love Led Zeppelin.

Great description of ITTOD. Kind of how I look at the end too.

As for songs I like and don't like.

I love (I think) every song from the first 4 albums. Including these too.

● Hey What Can I Do

● Baby Come On Home

● Travelling Riverside Blues

● Long Black Wavy Hair

● Night Flight (meant IV)

● Black Country Woman (meant for HOTH)

That's just my stuff right there.

On HOTH I don't listen to

● The Song Remains

● Dancing Days

Honestly, lately I haven't been listening to PG (unless it was stuff meant for previous albums), Prescence, or ITTOD.

Only a few things I’ll skip over like HOTRH as many others have mentioned as well as only a few songs from Presence and Coda if the tone is too depressing based on my personal experiences on s particular day. 

R😎

Archived