Led Zeppelin's best live performance

Armani

It's hard to pick, because there's so many great show. Let's see year by year but I will skip their 68-69 tour because personally I think It's too raw and bluesy. and for 1980, meh I can't stand of jimmy :)

1970: bath festival. the holy grail of zeppelin bootleg (but be careful of your ears because it's one of the worst audio quality of bootleg)

1971: tokyo in japan tour. robert voice was excellent. best bow solo. and 35 minutes of whole lotta love. Hell yeah!!

1972: japan tour again guys. you can pick anything from this tour

1973 : Hamburg show. europe 73 is brutal, their finest live technical ability. they showed why they are one of the best jam band in music industry. actually it's tie between hamburg and offenburg, but I choose hamburg because it contain the best dazed and confused live version, especially the outro jam,

1975: Seattle 21 march. the boys at the top at their game. best pearcy voice for 75, really impressive stairway to heaven solo, 40 minutes of dazed and confused (but for no quarter, the champion is 24 may earls court version, full of emotion)

1977: LA Forum 21 june (LTTE) . listen to intro of TSRTS and you can understand why bonzo was not human

1979: copenhagen. the best jimmy's playing since 73, I rate it far above knebworth. ooh and its nice to hear the 73 guitar tone again (am I wrong??)

and finally I want to hear more of your expert opinion guys. cheers :)

Forget Seattle.

As for the USA 1977 Tour , let's go back to Cleveland, second night.

THIS show is the real thing :

589148lz1977042801.jpg

It appears we are in a huge minority here but I wholeheartedly agree with you! The Cleveland shows absolutely "Destroy" the Seattle shows! (Yes indeed, the irony was intended.)

1977/04/28 is indeed the greatest show of the 1st leg. Fantastic performance and Bonham is a machine - super heavy sound, ALS is nuts and TUF is fantastic. To me the show has a major transition point - halfway through IMTOD Bonham suddenly turns it up 10 notches and becomes crazed, after which the rest of the band quickly follows. A pity that many "fans" choose to overlook the show due to sound quality a few points below Eddie or Badgeholders. If one obtains the Presence edition as cited above the sound is very pleasing - cranked loud the ambiance is excellent.

Seattle '77 is a good show. Not in the class of anything from LA mind you, but beats up on Landover outside of May 30th.

It could be just me, but I think Pontiac deserves to be in the conversation with the second night in Cleveland for "best show of the first leg".

Seriously!? Why is that/how do you know? And not Pontiac?

I'm not saying for sure. But now that EVSD is done with Landover (and they seemingly don't have any 'boards from the first leg) my guess, judging by the pattern of what they've already put out, we might finally get Greensboro '77 soon, either that or another show from NYC (I hope it's 06/08, that show is killer if you get past all the cuts and mud), and maybe, possibly, hopefully somewhere down the line, LA 'boards might start coming out.

I'm not saying for sure. But now that EVSD is done with Landover (and they seemingly don't have any 'boards from the first leg) my guess, judging by the pattern of what they've already put out, we might finally get Greensboro '77 soon, either that or another show from NYC (I hope it's 06/08, that show is killer if you get past all the cuts and mud), and maybe, possibly, hopefully somewhere down the line, LA 'boards might start coming out.

Oh ok, gotcha. Greensboro and 06/08 would be great-if they happen to have boards for all of NY & LA, I hope they would release the 21st, 23rd, 25th & 27th last since we already have Millard tapes for them.

On the topic of sbds and unreleased shows, what are the odds of EV having boards for Houston, New Orleans, Knoxville, and Fort Worth '75? Starting with 2/12 up until 3/21 there's been a board released for almost every show during that span (12 of 14 by my count, 3/10 & 3/12 being the boardless ones) aside from those missing four.

Oh ok, gotcha. Greensboro and 06/08 would be great-if they happen to have boards for all of NY & LA, I hope they would release the 21st, 23rd, 25th & 27th last since we already have Millard tapes for them.

On the topic of sbds and unreleased shows, what are the odds of EV having boards for Houston, New Orleans, Knoxville, and Fort Worth '75? Starting with 2/12 up until 3/21 there's been a board released for almost every show during that span (12 of 14 by my count, 3/10 & 3/12 being the boardless ones) aside from those missing four.

I can't say for sure on those. There's been a less defined pattern with '75 material. Since you make that point though, perhaps some/or all of those shows might come out soon, so they can continue to milk the hype for 03/21 as much as possible.

Edited by Sue Dounim

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My top 3 at the moment-

I think Earls Court 1975 is the best set of shows the band has ever done. My DVD boot of them of an entire show is my favorite Zeppelin gig ever. The performances on the official DVD are perfect, too.

I also love LA 1977, I have a thing for the 1977 tour. It wasn't the best but it was so legendary and dark which paved the way for some excellent shows. Listen to this Eddie is the highlight for me, my only complaint is Jimmy's one flubbed note at the start of Stairway's solo :lol:

O2, London 2007- not their technical best but it is "my" version of Led Zeppelin. I wasn't there but I was there in spirit! After years of being a young fan, the build up to the gig was tremendous. The day of the show was great listening to the radio all day at my high school in Michigan. Love the performance and setlist, and think it is an absolute triumph.

Honorable mentions-

Blueberry Hill is excellent, Seattle 1975 (the longer show), How the West Was Won, Pontiac 1977, MSG 1973 (don't get why the band was disappointing in their performance on the movie, I think these shows were great), Hampton Roads Coliseum 1971, and many more!

EDIT- I mistakenly thought the thread was favorite shows. To answer the thread's actual question, I think Earl's Court 1975 was the peak of Zeppelin's bravado

Edited by zosorose

• 2 weeks later...

Very difficult to name a single performance as the very best as I believe there's probably a couple dozen shows that can stake this claim. However, if I was forced to choose one as the best or at least my favorite it would be

9.19.1970 evening show in New York.

This show, particularly the last hour or so is beyond description.

A few other of my faves that don't seem to get as much hype as some shows are

01.10.69 Fillmore west

04.26.69 winterland

06.15.72 Long Island

07.13.73 Detroit

02.14.75 New York

03.12.75 long beach

05.30.77 landover

Edited by geisha78

Very difficult to name a single performance as the very best as I believe there's probably a couple dozen shows that can stake this claim. However, if I was forced to choose one as the best or at least my favorite it would be

Nice choice, I agree.

A few other of my faves that don't seem to get as much hype as some shows are

01.10.69 Fillmore west

04.26.69 winterland

06.15.72 Long Island

07.13.73 Detroit

02.14.75 New York

03.12.75 long beach

05.30.77 landover

Nice choice, I agree.

I agree with both of you, that show in unbelievable, I mean they do a KILLER WLL medley and then another kill HMMT medley as an encore, you get exhausted and pumped at the same time listening to that show, it's awesome

.... Damnit now I have to listen to it again

Edited by BlyZeppelinaren