Waiting for a friend by The Stones a dis of Zep?

Matjaz1

Are you such a dreamer

To put the world to rights

I'll stay home forever

Where two and two always makes a five

I'll lay down the tracks

Sandbag and hide

January has April showers

And two and two always makes a five

It's the devil's way now

There is no way out

You can scream and you can shout

It is too late now

Because you're not there

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

yeah I feel it, I needed attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Yeah I need it, I needed attention

I needed attention

I needed attention

I needed attention

Yeah I love it, the attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Soon oh

I try to sing along

But the music's all wrong

Cos I'm not

Cos I'm not

I'll swallow up flies?

But like flies the bugs keep coming back

But I'm not

Oh hail to the thief

Oh hail to the thief

But I'm not

But I'm not

But I'm not

But I'm not

Don't question my authority or put me in the box

Cos I'm not

Cos I'm not

Oh go up to the king, and the sky is falling in

But it's not

But it's not

Maybe not

Maybe not

Yeah knebby you did! Sorry, I was doing something else and didn't see it before i posted!

It might date to that time, but the building was used 6 years after Graffiti! So? You think it's possible?

Or perhaps if you think it might atleast be a tribute to zep?and the bad things that are over, even if Bonzo died!?

Are you such a dreamer

To put the world to rights

I'll stay home forever

Where two and two always makes a five

I'll lay down the tracks

Sandbag and hide

January has April showers

And two and two always makes a five

It's the devil's way now

There is no way out

You can scream and you can shout

It is too late now

Because you're not there

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

yeah I feel it, I needed attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Yeah I need it, I needed attention

I needed attention

I needed attention

I needed attention

Yeah I love it, the attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Payin' attention

Soon oh

I try to sing along

But the music's all wrong

Cos I'm not

Cos I'm not

I'll swallow up flies?

But like flies the bugs keep coming back

But I'm not

Oh hail to the thief

Oh hail to the thief

But I'm not

But I'm not

But I'm not

But I'm not

Don't question my authority or put me in the box

Cos I'm not

Cos I'm not

Oh go up to the king, and the sky is falling in

But it's not

But it's not

Maybe not

Maybe not

so now i am not paying attention? Something wrong with me AGAIN? You didn't say much relevant stuff, you mostly made fun of me!

In all honesty Samo, and with nothing but the hand of friendship extended, I don't think so, personally. I have been wrong many times before! ;)

ok no problem, thanks for the discussion, as long as i am aware it's a theory it's alright hehe

If you play "Waiting For A Friend" backwards you can hear all of Led Zeppelin IV. For truth...

LOL nice.

Sonny Rollins played the tenor sax solo on this and I never gave Zeppelin a thought listening to this tune over the years.

I still won't either.

For no reason at all? You don't actually believe they didn't know what house this was!? And I'm writing about this, because the biggest Slovenian rock singer which I know personaly named Vlado Kreslin, took a photo of himself in front of this house! And he named it Waiting for a friend and so I did some research and came up with this idea for this topic! http://shrani.si/?30/13J/3ssj725o/2012newyorkvladokreslins.jpg

Biggest Slovenian rock singer??? Now that's what I call an oxymoron!

Maybe it was a tribute to Zeppelin / Bonham....

I know Keith Richards was never a big Robert Plant fan, but the Stones love Jimmy.

They must have known it was the same bldg... a couple of guys sitting on the stairs in the video .. just like the guy on the cover of PG.

Looks more like a tribute than a slam.... i don;t see a dig in the lyrics either...

Others have said it's a tribute to John Lennon or an ode to heroin. I simply choose to accept Mick's explanation at face value.

makes sense to me.... Jagger wrote the words, so I'd believe him as well.

I meant more the location of the video then the song as being a tribute.

My honest opinion is that the building has no significance. If I am wrong, then IN MY OPINION the house has some significance to the director of the video (Michael Lindsay-Hogg ) as opposed to the band. I would have thought it to be far more significant that Peter Tosh is waiting with Mick for Keith. How come you didn't connect this to Bob Marley instead - he died in 1981?

Great point concerning the Tosh/Marley connection! I agree the video is merely the director's concept for the song as opposed to a literal interpretation of Mick's lyrics.

Parts of the song were recorded in 1973 during the "Goats Head Soup" sessions, hence Mick Taylor is the main guitar player on the song. The vocal melody was fleshed out then as well which later on after the release of 1980's "Emotional Rescue" did Jagger write proper lyrics for the song. All the songs on the "Tattoo You" album are left over tracks from previous sessions, mainly from the "Some Girls" album where like "Waiting On A Friend" the songs were incomplete & Jagger & producer Chris Kimsey picked what they thought were the best outtakes from previous sessions & finished them. I'm sure Mick Jagger was plotting this dig at Zeppelin since 1973 & was just "waiting" for the right time, 8 years later, to strike out in jealousy at his "friends". Lol. My advice here is don't listen to the live versions of "Star Star" as your head may explode because it may further cement your "theory".

Biggest Slovenian rock singer??? Now that's what I call an oxymoron!

What?

Listen to this, I think you will think his voice is great and he is the biggest in Slovenia, it's simply a fact!

And thanks everyone for the contribution of opinions, it might be more of a tribute yeah!

EDITED: Oh yeah an oxymoron, yeah you van hardly be big in Slovenia, but he has a really big heart, he is thin thought, so it's probably not a lot of meat!

Oh thank for the compliment, but he IS the bigest Slovenian rock singer, but not the short one, the one completely to the right!

This was recorded in the mid eighties and Martin Krpan was Kreslin's first big band and they were the most famous rock band in Slovenia and their album was the most sold rock album for 20 years! And I don't find it dated, although Kreslin has changed and modernised his style a lot and also went in etno for awhile! The keyboards might be dated a bit and it might be a bit kitchy, but the lyrics are really great and the melodies are strong and the instrumentalists are all fantastic, but variety came latter in Kreslin's stunning carrer!

I think they are great and I don't think his singinig is flat and I hang round alot with him these days and he is a great guy!

How about this:

and something of his latest stuff:

Yeah all successful bands sing in Slovene and it IS required to be successful and no one has even tried to be successful outside and I'm also a bit patriotic and think they should sing in Slovene, but they could also translate it into English and some did, but no one really succided outside!

It's nice to se you agrre with the theory, you truly are my best friend here, you are very kind and it's nice to see you agree with me, although I didn't agree with you much this time hehe!

I'm glad you want to be everyone's friend, that's the kind fo friends I like to have!

And he is singing about execellent things in style of best rock bands! He si not singing about boiling kittens, he is singing about existentialist kind of questions!

Here is his biggest hit from the rock days:

And more recent one, his biggest melancholic hit, very DEEP song, the video is from a movie about Slovenian gypsies in which he acted:

Here is one about early morning:

Yeah back on topic! The thread si not necessarily dead if it goes off topic and since now my idea has some support, let's continue!

He my friend, I was only kidding. I am half slovenian myself on my mother side. My grandmother was born and raised in a little town called Catez, her family owned a ran a resort at the base of a mountain in the hot springs since the 19th century. She immigrated to the US in 1921 when she was 18 years old. Her whole family except for one brother and her father were killed by the Germans during WWII (they were of Roma origin), they were all put in concentration camps and were gassed. Only my great-uncle and my great-grandfather survived. And if that was not enough, Tito seized the resort after WWII as part of the communist take over, it is now the largest resort in Slovenia.

Anyway, my grandmothers maiden name was Krizman and her surviving brothers name was Joseph. We were told he became quite a famous painter in Slovenia after the war. I always wanted to go there but I do not speak Slovenian, my grandmother refused to teach it to my mother or myself as she like to speak privately in front of her family with friends...go figure.

Take care and keep singing, maybe you will be the next Kreslin some day :thumbsup:

Archived