Pittsburgh, PA- Civic Arena- February 1, 1975

DavidZoso

No audio or video has surfaced from this show. I will say that I have heard over the years that tne next show which was the first show in New York on Feb. 3rd at Madison Square Garden was where they finally played Dazed and Confused for the first time on this tour due to Jimmy's injured finger- so I would say that Pittsburgh was the final version of How Mant More Times.

I also have seen some sites and even in the timeline section on this site that people say there was a second show in Pittsburgh on February 2nd, and even one fan had this to say in the timeline section.

Jeff Deluca:

Yes, Zepp. did play 2 nights at the Pittsburgh civic arena that Febuary the 1&2 .The only way to get tickets was through mail-in to Natoinal Record Marts,the response was so great they had to add a second show.The civic arena only held 15,ooo people and they got over 40,ooo response's. I was at the show on Feb. 1, floor seating about 30 rows back from the stage.

But I believe all these pics are from the Feb. 1, 1975 show.

Rock and Roll

lz19750201_06-1.jpg

pitts75a.jpg

pitts75b.jpg

pitts75c.jpg

lz19750201_04.jpg

lz19750201_12.jpg

Most likely Kashmir

pitts75d.jpg

Kashmir

lz19750201_01.jpg

The Rain Song or Kashmir

lz19750201_03.jpg

lz19750201_11.jpg

End of Moby Dick

lz19750201_02.jpg

lz19750201_08.jpg

lz19750201_13.jpg

lz19750201_07.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

lz19750201_14.jpg

David,

Here's why I think they only played on date in Pittsburgh in 1975 (Feb. 1, 1975):

- tickets were purchased through mail order only, and the ad only listed the 2/1 date

- a 1/22 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette listing only shows a 2/1 date

- a weekend ad of events in the 1/31/75 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette lists the Led Zeppelin show for Saturday, February 1, but does not list a Sunday performance (even though there are other items listed for Sunday)

- an underground newspaper listing has a 2/1 date scheduled, but nothing for 2/2

- a concert listing in Rolling Stone magazine only had the 2/1 date

- a small article in the 2/5 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette mentioned scalpers at the Saturday night Zep show (2/1) but no mention of the next night

- I've seen a ticket stub for 2/1, but nothing at all from 2/2

- an article later in the year mentioned the top grossing events at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena for that year, and mentions ONE Zeppelin concert, not two

And the most important reason why I think the band did not play a second gig at Pittsburgh:

- there was a college basketball game at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena on February 2nd! The game started at 3pm, and it is incredibly doubtful that they would have scheduled a 2nd concert for later that evening, as it would have been a nightmare to shuffle people out and in.

• 5 years later...
On 4/28/2012 at 11:50 AM, DavidZoso said:

No audio or video has surfaced from this show. I will say that I have heard over the years that tne next show which was the first show in New York on Feb. 3rd at Madison Square Garden was where they finally played Dazed and Confused for the first time on this tour due to Jimmy's injured finger- so I would say that Pittsburgh was the final version of How Mant More Times.

I also have seen some sites and even in the timeline section on this site that people say there was a second show in Pittsburgh on February 2nd, and even one fan had this to say in the timeline section.

Jeff Deluca:

Yes, Zepp. did play 2 nights at the Pittsburgh civic arena that Febuary the 1&2 .The only way to get tickets was through mail-in to Natoinal Record Marts,the response was so great they had to add a second show.The civic arena only held 15,ooo people and they got over 40,ooo response's. I was at the show on Feb. 1, floor seating about 30 rows back from the stage.

But I believe all these pics are from the Feb. 1, 1975 show.

Rock and Roll

lz19750201_06-1.jpg

pitts75a.jpg

pitts75b.jpg

pitts75c.jpg

lz19750201_04.jpg

lz19750201_12.jpg

Most likely Kashmir

pitts75d.jpg

Kashmir

lz19750201_01.jpg

The Rain Song or Kashmir

lz19750201_03.jpg

lz19750201_11.jpg

End of Moby Dick

lz19750201_02.jpg

lz19750201_08.jpg

lz19750201_13.jpg

lz19750201_07.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

lz19750201_14.jpg

Why can't I open the jpg files.  They say not found.

• 1 month later...

I have to correct myself. These many years later I had the opportunity to talk with the promoters ( Deceaser\Engler)  of the 75 Pittsburgh led Zeppelin show, at first THEY DIDN'T agree on 1or 2 shows? Even their website had Zep playing February 1&2 1975. Being kind enough to do some searching & brain storming for me this is what I found out: Led Zeppelin played for 14 thousand people on February 1 1975 at the Pittsburgh civic arena, Deceaser\Engler where trying to get a a second show on February 2  because of the overwhelming amount of ticket response. Because of Plant having the flu & Pages finger it didn't happen, if memories are right?  At the same time a DJ at our big rock station in Pittsburgh got wind of a second Zep night & was announcing it over the radio & this is what my 17 year old stoned brain sucked up & stored  .I have thought they played 2 shows in February 75 ,well since that night .  Hope this helps.....Jeff DeLuca                                                                                              I have to relate a great story they told me:  When Zeppelin played the civic arena in 1971 , it was stated in their contract for a certain type of wine. Well the promoters search every where in PA. Ohio, West Virginia for it but could not find it. So they got the most expensive champagne they could find. The day of the show Peter Grant walks into the dressing room takes one look at the champagne picks up the bottles & began throwing them against the wall , glass & champagne flying everywhere.

That particular tour itinerary is pretty relentless...adding a second show in Pitt would have taken away a scarce, much needed day off. Peter Grant was also always very deliberate about not "saturating" the relatively smaller markets with multiple shows, even though popular demand was there. 

Archived