Five pictures of Jimmy in a box... £7000?

woz70

I also beg to differ. As a professional photographer for the past 25 years I have learned and am still learning.

Photography is both an art and a science. Photography allows us to express our feeling and emotions, but to do so we need to master the scientific part of the medium. Unlike a painter, who is in direct contact with his subject and his canvas, a photographer is separated from his subject by the camera and from his "canvas" by computers and printers today and by darkroom equipment previously.

The scientific aspects of photography can be both overwhelming and fascinating, so much so that for some photographers photography comes to be just that: a scientific process that they attempt to master over their lifetime. However, to achieve mastery of the technical side of photography is to address only one of the two aspects of photography. The result is often technically excellent photographs that lack emotion and "seeing" qualities. In this regard, I share the opinion of Ansel Adams who said, and I paraphrase, that there is nothing more boring that a technically perfect rendering of a fuzzy visual concept. In other words, an artistic photograph is created when technique is used to express a vision and an emotion, not when technique is used for it's own sake.

Countless articles are written daily about the many scientific aspects of photography. From equipment reviews, to image processing techniques, to tips on how to be a more efficient photographer, to stories about what works and what doesn't, there is no shortage of material on the subject. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I have contributed my share of articles on this subject and I will continue to do so. Again, the scientific aspect of photography is very important and learning as much as you can about it is certainly worth your time and efforts.

However, learning about the artistic aspect of photography is just as important. Unfortunately, there is a much lesser amount of information on photography as art. Far fewer essays are being written, far fewer discussions are taking place, and far less information, help and tips are available. It is as if photographers, for the most part, discovered how much they have to learn about photographic science and, overwhelmed and enchanted by equipment and technique, stopped there and looked no further. It may also be that some photographers, or photographic instructors, are uncomfortable writing about photography as art, or lack the practice and knowledge to do so.

I am against what Jimmy is doing, but I am not in his head. He will not see my money for his latest adventures, but I suspect he is not in it for the money as much as aligning himself with quality; with fine art.

Ansel Adams

1701186102-2.jpg This, in my, and many persons opinion, is art. Ansel Adams was brilliant. Read up on the Zone System.

Also, you cannot forget about "Camera Obscura" which was used by artists in aid of painting.

http://en.wikipedia..../Camera_obscura

I don't exactly qualify "concert photography" as art. I think when someone knows they are being watched, it's a totally different ballgame. But that's just my opinion. :)

I agree I think Jimmy does see photography as an art form and he has always pursued quality; this is not about money this is about his legacy and having quality collectibles is important to him. Jimmy can do what he wants when he wants frankly he doesn't "owe" anyone anything.

I've just checked out the present availability over at JimmyPage.com and the following numbers are left:-

Ross Halfin - 11 Units Left

Baron Wolman - 15 Units Left

Neal Preston - 9 Units Left

Dick Barnatt - 3 Units Left

Jorgen Angel - 8 Units Left

There must be plenty of people with plenty of money.

The Jimmy Page Rimowa guitarcase was promoted back in July 2010. In 2011, I contacted Rimowa regarding the availability, and they replied to me immediately - basically saying that it was imminent. I emailed them twice this week because the product has not so far materialised, and they have not replied. It was one product which I thought would be of utility to anyone who has a particularly expensive guitar.

I've just checked out the present availability over at JimmyPage.com and the following numbers are left:-

Ross Halfin - 11 Units Left

Baron Wolman - 15 Units Left

Neal Preston - 9 Units Left

Dick Barnatt - 3 Units Left

Jorgen Angel - 8 Units Left

Not surprised that Baron Wolman is trailing, in spite of his talents .. BEAUTIFULLY lit picture of those guitars , but no JP . Interesting that it's been accepted into the National PORTRAIT gallery .. how much of their archive includes symbolic representations of the subjects ? If the picture of the guitars is deemed to be a "portrait" of Jimmy ( and seemingly it is ) , then I think that ends the debate about whether this is about Art....

And I agree that it's puzzling that Dick Barnatt should be in the lead, yet Neal Preston is the first to have his price uprated....

Good luck to anyone who buys them.

I would try to , if I could persuade myself that they were an investment: but what's an investment if you buy something for itself and never intend to sell ??

Not surprised that Baron Wolman is trailing, in spite of his talents .. BEAUTIFULLY lit picture of those guitars , but no JP . Interesting that it's been accepted into the National PORTRAIT gallery .. how much of their archive includes symbolic representations of the subjects ? If the picture of the guitars is deemed to be a "portrait" of Jimmy ( and seemingly it is ) , then I think that ends the debate about whether this is about Art....

And I agree that it's puzzling that Dick Barnatt should be in the lead, yet Neal Preston is the first to have his price uprated....

Good luck to anyone who buys them.

I would try to , if I could persuade myself that they were an investment: but what's an investment if you buy something for itself and never intend to sell ??

Truth and Beauty :)

I was disappointed to see these selling so rapidly, because I was hoping that a lack of sales would put a stop to all this highly priced merchandise. Halfin now has the motive to come up with more expensive 'Jimmy related' goods as there seems to be a market for them.

The last Jimmy product that I bought was 'It Might Get Loud' because whether you saw it in the cinema, or on DVD, it was fun and affordable.

To be honest, I don't grudge Jimmy the opportunity to cash in on his name and legacy - why not, it is his right. What I would not do, is put my money Halfin's way, and Halfin seems to be heavily involved in most of Jimmy's commercial endeavours.

Can you imagine when or if Jimmy comes out with a new Album.....Limited to 7 copies at $13,000 each.

(so glad to see fans speaking out about this nonsense of selling bits and pieces of a treasured past that we as fans put no price tag on.)

In spite of his marketing of our beloved memories (for an outrageous price), I actually still love Jimmy.

He has meant so much to me over the years, and has pulled me through many difficult times with his musical touch,

This is just a bump in the road for us all.

Jimmy I love you - for free!

I think your wrong I don't think Halfin is dragging Jimmy around by the nose. Have other artists not done the same thing? I love and respect this man and he can do what he wants. If I could afford it I would buy one. I don't begrudge him doing this simply because I don't have the cash.

Can you imagine when or if Jimmy comes out with a new Album.....Limited to 7 copies at $13,000 each.

(so glad to see fans speaking out about this nonsense of selling bits and pieces of a treasured past that we as fans put no price tag on.)

Its his treasured past not yours - apparently you have put a price tag on it - in the bargain bin! :beat:

...I guess I don't understand all the hate on Jimmy. I didn't see this animosity when he was selling his tapestry a couple years ago for millions. He's put up real estate for sale which was WAYYYY out of my price range. He teamed up with Genesis to issue limited editions of his photo book which was quite pricey, but buy-able. Now he's selling limited edition photos and people are ranting on him for it.

Whether he is cashing in on his fame or whether he indeed is issuing these for "art" sake, he's entitled to do what he wants with his image and music.

Its his treasured past not yours - apparently you have put a price tag on it - in the bargain bin! :beat:

Dude - wake up! Jimmy would have NO "treasured" past if we as fans never put a buck in his pocket buying

his music, concert tickets, and merchandise.

An artist is only as good as the people their art pleases, especially at a price.

Don't fool yourself - Jimmy wasn't called "Led Wallet" for his "another round for the lads" life style!

Folks, no one here is disputing the fact that Jimmy can do what he wants regarding the marketing of his past glories. No one, esp. me.

Jimmy of course is a free man, of sound mind, and free will. He can do whatever and whenever he wants to do.

That's not the point here at all.

Our point, as normal fans of limited funds and our love for all things Jimmy, is that we feel forsaken by Jimmy and his pursuit of the almighty

dollar. Remember Peter Grant's vicious rant in TSRTS over the marketing of vendors "post-concert" photos of Led Zeppelin?

He was livid and said so in a profanity laced tirade to the poor vendor who was, as Jimmy is now, selling Zeppelin's images for profit.

Was Peter so wrong? And if so, is Jimmy doing right by selling the memory of Zeppelin for profit?

Grant's raves about bootleggers and people not associated with the band profiting off Led Zeppelin without compensating them or without their permission is entirely diffrerent from Jimmy, Robert, John or Bonzo's family selling their image, music or personna for whatever the market will buy it for.

If you want affordable memorabilia, go to Ebay...lots of under and over-priced stuff on there. Heck, just last week I picked up a signed edition (1032/5000) of Neal Preston's "Led Zeppelin Portraits" for $14.50!

If you want exclusive, one-of-a-kind memorabilia, then buy it from Jimmy's site.

I think some of you should shop around to see what professional quality artist's prints normally sell for.

http://www.mickrock.com/prints/bowie_lunch_lg.html

http://www.rockpix.com/top-three-hundred.html

https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/cart/addImage.aspx?type=photograph&itemID=3596

http://rockstore.com/Baron-Wolman_c94.htm

It is not excessive in light of the going price!

Nirvana,

Peter Grant was livid at OTHERS making money off of unlicensed merchandise!

Good grief the man has every right to publish fine art photos of his own image and ask the going price for like material!

Wow! :slapface: :slapface: :slapface:

I think some of you should shop around to see what professional quality artist's prints normally sell for.

http://www.mickrock....e_lunch_lg.html

http://www.rockpix.c...ee-hundred.html

https://www.morrison...aph&itemID=3596

http://rockstore.com...-Wolman_c94.htm

It is not excessive in light of the going price!

Nirvana,

Peter Grant was livid at OTHERS making money off of unlicensed merchandise!

Good grief the man has every right to publish fine art photos of his own image and ask the going price for like material!

Wow! :slapface: :slapface: :slapface:

It's the PRINCIPAL of selling an licensed or un-licensed image or art for profit from fans who don't know any better

and just follow their silly hearts to own a piece of their heros' legacy.

Thank you Bayougal65....thought I was alone in this battle!!!

No, not alone at all! I think quite a few feel the same, but ignore it.

I usually don't speak up, but all this Jimmy-bashing is getting ridiculous! :(

It's the PRINCIPAL of selling an licensed or un-licensed image or art for profit from fans who don't know any better

What principal is broken here? Trust me, the people who are purchasing know what they are getting.

Led Zep & co., managed by Peter Grant were some of the shrewdest business men in the business, cutting paths for many who came after them!

He has said he would make new music available via his website as downloads. I'm not sure how much he would charge when that day comes, but I would much prefer vinyl or a CD to a mp3.

As for the bashing, no one is obligated to buy any of this stuff. It's more like they're pissed off that he has yet to deliver on the promise of new music so they're using the selling of merch as an excuse to slam him. That's completely uncalled for but the same sort of thing happened here when Plant refused to take part in recording/concert dates with Page, Jones and Jason Bonham because he was previously committed to a tour with Alison Krauss in support of Raising Sand. When Page decides to release new music, he'll do it on his own terms. Not because some of his so-called fanbase are demanding that he do so.

The only principle involved here is "let the buyer beware" and that is the buyer's responsibility, not yours nor mine or the seller's.

Archived