Five pictures of Jimmy in a box... £7000?

woz70

Remember Peter Grant's vicious rant in TSRTS over the marketing of vendors "post-concert" photos of Led Zeppelin?

He was livid and said so in a profanity laced tirade to the poor vendor who was, as Jimmy is now, selling Zeppelin's images for profit.

Peter's rant was directed to the controller of the venue and his assistant, not the vendor of pirated copies of b&w promo photos. It was exploitive of Led Zeppelin in that they received none of the proceeds, and it was the exploitation that Grant took offense to. If Peter Grant/Led Zeppelin were adverse to profit their concerts would have been free.

He has said he would make new music available via his website as downloads. I'm not sure how much he would charge when that day comes, but I would much prefer vinyl or a CD to a mp3.

As for the bashing, no one is obligated to buy any of this stuff. It's more like they're pissed off that he has yet to deliver on the promise of new music so they're using the selling of merch as an excuse to slam him. That's completely uncalled for but the same sort of thing happened here when Plant refused to take part in recording/concert dates with Page, Jones and Jason Bonham because he was previously committed to a tour with Alison Krauss in support of Raising Sand. When Page decides to release new music, he'll do it on his own terms. Not because some of his so-called fanbase are demanding that he do so.

Good points Jahfin, I know deep down my criticisms of Jimmy lately are mostly based on his lack of new music or

even projects worthy of his immense legacy. But especially the promise he made to release new music in 2010 and 2011.

The frustration boils over to many areas it seems.

Good points Jahfin, I know deep down my criticisms of Jimmy lately are mostly based on his lack of new music or

even projects worthy of his immense legacy. But especially the promise he made to release new music in 2010 and 2011.

The frustration boils over to many areas it seems.

He's been talking about a new album since well before the concert at the 02 in 2007. I can't place an exact date on it but the first I recall reading about it was in Rolling Stone. The article mentioned he was using a different guitar on each track. When and if he ever puts it out, it's going to be in his own due time and not before. I can understand people being frustrated with it but bashing him isn't going to accomplish anything. He'll release it when he's ready to.

Since the DVD every year I have read a article/interview in which Jimmy has mentioned new music, it would be nice to hear something new

from him.* See what sort of musical ideas he has hidden away.

* Hopefully NOT a limited edition 8-track bound in unicorn skin costing a fortune..... B)

Dude - wake up! Jimmy would have NO "treasured" past if we as fans never put a buck in his pocket buying

his music, concert tickets, and merchandise.

An artist is only as good as the people their art pleases, especially at a price.

Don't fool yourself - Jimmy wasn't called "Led Wallet" for his "another round for the lads" life style!

I'm not a dude, but anyway my point is the "treasured" past you're talking about you obviously had and enjoyed for some 40 plus years. He gave of himself in the music he played, and through countless performances, all the while becoming arguably the best rock & roll band ever, which apparently is not enough. The "Led Wallet" nick name is in reference to not paying more for something then its worth. He has no problem opening that so called "Led Wallet" for valuable merchandise, homes, cars and countless charities. As Nirvana has more than demonstrated Jimmy's photographs are competitively priced and actually reasonable considering the quality. So my point is you can be angry about the cost of this and that. If they we're half the price, a quarter of the price would you buy one, probably not. He has more than earned the right to do whatever he wants, comparisons to Gene Simmons, hardly. As I said in another thread have you considered that he may have things happening in his life that have put him on a different path, perhaps family, health etc. Buy a bootleg, an album. countless collectibles on e-bay but leave they guy alone, quit bashing one of the greatest artists of the 20th Century.

I can't afford to buy these; which is an excellent argument for me not to buy them, but of no import for Jimmy Page when it's a question of whether to make these photos available or not. He likes quality in such things, and has always been a bit of a visual artist in how he's approached Rock anyway, so I am not that surprised that he made these available. I think he just likes this kind of product himself, whether it's photos of him or somebody else.

What I am looking forward to now, on the other hand, is the forthcoming book of interviews. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... Barnatt's at £1250 now. Wonder what that means re: numbers sold?

As at today's date, the remaining stock is as follows:-

Dick Barnatt 10 units

Baron Wolman 12 units

Ross Halfin 7 units

Neal Preston 6 units

Jørgen Angel 5 units

Dick Barnatt 10 units

Baron Wolman 12 units

Ross Halfin 7 units

Neal Preston 6 units

Jørgen Angel 5 units

Interesting..... so the quantity left has little bearing on the price you will pay?

My cynicism has increased.

As an aside.... how did you find out?

Interesting..... so the quantity left has little bearing on the price you will pay?

My cynicism has increased.

As an aside.... how did you find out?

All you do is enter a high number for the quantity you wish to purchase (in the knowledge that they do not have that amount left). A message will come back saying that they cannot fulfil that amount, and then it tells you how much they have left.

All you do is enter a high number for the quantity you wish to purchase (in the knowledge that they do not have that amount left). A message will come back saying that they cannot fulfil that amount, and then it tells you how much they have left.

Your good.

B)

V impressive !

Dick Barnatt 10 units

Baron Wolman 12 units

Ross Halfin 7 units

Neal Preston 6 units

Jørgen Angel 5 units

Nice detective work. Interesting the Jorgen Angel is most popular. (That's the Page I'd like to remember too) It's also interesting that it's only priced at 1000 when the Barnett is fourth in popularity and went straight to 1250.

I could guess maybe Page heard people complaining and decided to not to increase the prices, but I know Neal Preston was still at 1000 a couple weeks ago and is now 1250, so that doesn't exactly jive.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Aaaannnnnddd.......

It's another 5 photos in a box for £7000.

http://shop.jimmypage.com/products/583200-fine-art-photographic-print-the-collection

I suppose signing horribly overpriced pictures must be easier than picking up a guitar and, I don't know.... maybe strumming it lightly for 15 minutes or so in front of an audience. :huh:

38 minutes ago, woz70 said:

Aaaannnnnddd.......

It's another 5 photos in a box for £7000.

http://shop.jimmypage.com/products/583200-fine-art-photographic-print-the-collection

I suppose signing horribly overpriced pictures must be easier than picking up a guitar and, I don't know.... maybe strumming it lightly for 15 minutes or so in front of an audience. :huh:

This is what happens when a musician doesn't have a manager around to tell his photographer friends "NO". We get a half-assed website, a high end set of photographic prints, a high end book of photographs, a revised edition of that book of photographs, a PR disaster surrounding an awards show in Tokyo, and now another high end set of photographic prints. 

What can we do but laugh? In the past, I got a whole stack of Janet Macoska prints directly from her for about ten bucks a print, including the image being offered here. If original artwork (paintings) of Page are not worth anywhere near this kind of money why are photographs? One of them is a passport photo! Silly snobs. If Page's signature has become that valuable and in demand it's possibly because his photographer friend hasn't allowed even loyal fans to approach for autographs for several years now.  

With the exception of Janet Macoska, the same photographers flogging the same photographs again, again and again. Why do they (including Jimmy Page) feel compelled to keep doing this? Is it merely ego and vanity, or something else entirely? So tone deaf. Given recent events, the best thing he could have done from a PR standpoint is give these prints away through an online charity auction offer. A thankful gesture to the fans for making his umpteenth Led Zeppelin remasters campaign a success.

16 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

This is what happens when an ex-musician doesn't have a manager around to tell his photographer friends "NO". We get a half-assed website, a high end set of photographic prints, a high end book of photographs, a revised edition of that book of photographs, a PR disaster surrounding an awards show in Tokyo, and now another high end set of photographic prints.

Fixed that for you...

As an aside - it's nice to see Chris Dreja looking quite well after his series of strokes.

2 hours ago, woz70 said:

It's nice to see Chris Dreja looking quite well after his series of strokes.

Yes indeed! Seems he stopped by the Tower House to sign prints...and further discuss the upcoming Yardbirds live release.

13 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I am curious, why is it we cannot mention Jimmy's "photographer friend" by name on this board? It seems whenever this is done the post is deleted. Seems odd...no?

I don't know if that's strictly true. I don't mention him by name because he tends to take any criticism personally. 

A number of years ago now, prior to the re-release of the albums and companion discs, O2 and such like, the Sunday Times rich list indicated that Page was worth £60 million. I can only presume this has increased - the odd Berkshire mansion purchase notwithstanding. Expense-wise he seems quite frugal - the old green army type jacket worn at the Wembley Foo Fighter gig must have disintegrated due to frequency of donning, and the black leather jacket seen endlessly over the last year or so is well on the way to the same fate. Accumulating more vinyl can't be overly cumbersome to his bulging wallet, foreign trips seem subsidised by award ceremonies and such like, and he can surely obtain pensioner's discount at Nando's or other date night venues whilst with his poetic friend.

So, with plenty of cash and a frugal existence, what on earth will flogging this tat actually gain? A few grand here and there is surely chicken feed to him -  is it worth the hassle?  A quick laserjet print out accompanied by a squiggly signature and miraculously  they are worth £1k plus each? 

What a total waste of time and more fool anyone who buys them. I can't even imagine a significant increase in value when he shuffles off this mortal coil. As Steve says,  lack of management guidance is key here, alongside an ivory tower mentality and total ignorance as to what many fans want.....or rather wanted. Any enthusiasm I had for hearing him play again evaporated a few years back - I'd not cross the road to hear him busking now. I'll continue to enjoy the albums but anything beyond that is gone.

And to think Plant was slated for not reuniting etc - he has fully retained his dignity through it all,  doing his own thing for his own reasons with no desire to cash in. Similar story with JPJ.  Perhaps the stories surrounding Page and the "how do we cash in big time" from the O2 are correct - ego and greed played a big part in him blowing his dream in recent times. Given his creative achievements how must he feel signing this stuff and having it flogged on a website? Rather cheapens everything in my eyes.

Archived