Sky Watch

betteremily

There is a fabulous book by Seeds on Astronomy. i have the book. I believe it may be "Horizons, exploring the Universe". He has several books out. Has the charts of the sky and the constellations at different times of the year and all. But it explains in great detail all aspects of time, space, stars, black holes, galaxies, solar systems, measuring distance in space and the make up of stars and just how difficult it would be to travel here. I must say that after studying Astronomy my take on UFO's is very skeptical to say the least. I studied Astronomy at a very lucky time. It was the year the comet Hiakataki ran and was visible to the naked eye. With binoculars it was very special to see. I believe it was 1996.

For some reason I can't rember Hyakutake, Hale Bopp I remember like it was last week.....I was burning copious amounts of brain cells in the 90's that may have zomething to do with it :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hyakutake

It was a fabulous one to see. You could see it with the naked eye but with binoculars, great.

Test your knowledge. A quick quiz just from my own knowledge. From memory from my studies in Astronomy. Try not to cheat and Google.

1. How is distance measured in outer space? What is the term and what is one of these equal to?

2. What device is used to determine the makeup of a star?

3. Are blue stars young or old?

4. What is a morning star?

5. How can we know the distance to a star in outer space?

Have fun

So nobody wants to tackle my questions? Ok

1. Distance in outer space is measured in astronomical units. 1 astronomical unit = the distance from the Earth to the Sun.

2. A Spectrometer

3. Blue Stars are young. Orange or red are old

4. A morning star is actually a planet, usually Venus or Mars

5. We use the surveyors method. To know the distance to a tree on the other side of a stream we cannot cross. We put two sticks in the ground and use Trigonometry to determine the distance by knowing two of the angles. In the case of stars, we use the Earth and either moon or Sun to calculate the angles

this is an amazing video. please watch, and then tell me how there can't be life out there. somewhere ..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LUQVzerseI&feature=share

Like they said iin that movie "what a waste of space". What is unusual was to see a blue supergiant. Because blue stars are typically young and red and orange are old. No doubt about it. Proven.

i found it really amazing. i mean, you try to imagine how large these stars are.... but it blows my mind. not to mention the vastness of space itself ...

is the universe infinite?

To me its just the most baffling and unanswerble question right up there with alien life and life after death. How can you imagine there being an end? What would there be? A wall? And what is on the other side of that wall? I plan to watch you new video later when the football ends. But keep posting. I am an astronomy buff, so someone is paying attention. I highly recommend you someday check out a book called Horizons by Seeds. Great stuff and it explains so much about time, space and distance. I was told by my astronomy teacher if you could travel at half the speed of light, it would take you 40 years to reach the next solar system beyond our Sun. So just imagine the difficulty of traveling through space. No matter how advanced other life forms may be, they still have to overcome the same laws of physics.

\/

To me its just the most baffling and unanswerble question right up there with alien life and life after death. How can you imagine there being an end? What would there be? A wall? And what is on the other side of that wall? I plan to watch you new video later when the football ends. But keep posting. I am an astronomy buff, so someone is paying attention. I highly recommend you someday check out a book called Horizons by Seeds. Great stuff and it explains so much about time, space and distance. I was told by my astronomy teacher if you could travel at half the speed of light, it would take you 40 years to reach the next solar system beyond our Sun. So just imagine the difficulty of traveling through space. No matter how advanced other life forms may be, they still have to overcome the same laws of physics.

\/

yes, it is baffling. i have often thought the same thing .... what is at the end? there can be no end.

the space travel question is answered in my mind by the fact that other civilisations may be millions of years ahead in their technology, and they have overcome this problem either through propolsion technology or such things as worm holes..

yes, it is baffling. i have often thought the same thing .... what is at the end? there can be no end.

the space travel question is answered in my mind by the fact that other civilisations may be millions of years ahead in their technology, and they have overcome this problem either through propolsion technology or such things as worm holes..

One idea to approach high speeds is the concept of perpetual momentum. But at some point you must be able to slow the ship to some degree or it will no doubt either blow up, or hit an asteroid. The theory and technique have been thought through, but any travel to a planet or solar system capable of sustaining life, or lets say intelligent life, would be a no return flight with reproduction on the spaceship, and the ability to reproduce oxygen and food. Educating the young and all of that would be no problem. It would be a costly adventure and one that would have moral implications that would be debated. I do not know if it will ever happen? Perhaps God will show up before this happens? Or alien life will find their way here? Or maybe we will someday get a signal, or a message? Why have we not yet? We are too far away to be detected. The movie "Contact" wiith Jodie Foster is a very good movie with some good ideas. With Math being recognized as a way to communicate with alien life. It may be worthwhile to really probe Mars under the surface to see if life ever did exist there. Fossils could tell us. Or who knows what else may be there? If you believe life is out there, whether intelligent or not or both, then there could even be dinosaurs out there somewhere. Just imagine. If a planet went through the stages Earth did. But would random genetic selection produce the same chain reaction of Evolution that Darwin believes existed? Much to comprehend.

thought you may be interested in these, ledzeppfan77 ( and others ) :)

http://www.ufodigest...ortals-do-exist

http://www.npr.org/2...m-for-now?sc=tw

It is interesting what they may have found on Mars? We know its not going to be intelligent life. Best case, microscopic life beneath the surface or the remnants of life long ago. But its interesting. We all know that Mars is the only planet other than our own that approaches temperatures that could sustain life as we know it. But look at some of the mammals that survive the arctic and antarctic. Arctic foxes, polar bears and seals. I still think its a stretch that there is any life there now. But maybe once it started ? If we dont hear something in a reasonable amount of time, we have to assume they are unsure of whatever it is they found. Maybe a track? I do not believe UFO's exist or have been here. I could be wrong, but doubt it based on my knowledge of time, space and distance. If they had life spans far longer than our own, it would be a plus.

Since im out of town, I've just been checking in online a couple of times a day but this caught my eye. Maybe a fossil, but I doubt that, maybe ice under the mars soil, or traces methane.

Coast to Coast AM and Richard C. Hoagland will have a field day with this.

Since im out of town, I've just been checking in online a couple of times a day but this caught my eye. Maybe a fossil, but I doubt that, maybe ice under the mars soil, or traces methane.

Coast to Coast AM and Richard C. Hoagland will have a field day with this.

Ice would not excite them unless there was something in it. A fossil sure would. Why do they have to even say anything if they are not going to telll all?

Maybe the anouncement will cause the breakdown of civilization ........LOL

I think we are pretty certain nothing exists in our solar system other than Earth. For intelligent llfe and probably any life. But are there fossils of past life on mars? That is the question. Or life beneath the surface? Doubtfull. We must look to other galaxies no doubt. They are always finding new objects. But a signal has never come.

I think we are pretty certain nothing exists in our solar system other than Earth. For intelligent llfe and probably any life. But are there fossils of past life on mars? That is the question. Or life beneath the surface? Doubtfull. We must look to other galaxies no doubt. They are always finding new objects. But a signal has never come.

yes, i think the intelligent life comes from way out there, not in our solar system. i do think there could be microbial life on some of our planets or moons though.