Unique guitar trouble

pinky

So this is my first post on this forum since either 2008 or 2009. I recently started gettig back into music since my athletic "career" is now over and I just purchased an Epiphone SG Custom Les Paul. It worked fine in the store and when I brought it home but now it is having a problem that I would consider unique. All my strings will be perfectly in tune and I will be playing on the first three frets and all will be fine and dandy but when I play higher chords the like an E on the 7th/9th frets the G and A strings become out of tune with each other and it sounds horrible. I am wondering what could possibly be wrong and I'm hoping someone here can help me. I just want to know what could be wrong, and how much it would cost to fix it. I bought a 1 year warranty with it so luckily if its too expensive or too much of a pain I can just bring it back for a full refund.

You need to have it set up, which the store you bought from should've offered. If the neck is in adjustment and you have an electronic tuner it's actually pretty easy.

Tune up to standard, pick a string, then finger a note at the 12th fret(octave)...if it's sharp(higher) move the saddle towards the tailpiece, if it's flat(lower) move the saddle towards the neck. When you get that in tune check the 12th fret natural harmonic and repeat the saddle adjustments as noted.

Here's a decent vid

intonation for sure. it's not a problem. a lot of guitars come out of the factory without a setup and a lot of shop will sell them to you the way they got them.

You'll need have your guitar intonation checked every once in a while.

Archived