Jimmy Page's Vault

“Michael and I spoke a couple of days ago to Page; he was in Los Angeles, and the reason being is, because Michael and Jimmy wrote 16 songs together in a rehearsal space about a year and a half ago, and the purpose of it was to woo ROBERT PLANT back into the band, but Robert didn't really want any part of it. So I started to think about lyrics and vocal melodies for it, and after Exile In The Kingdom is said and done, we’re probably going to put that together and maybe take it on the road.”

http://www.braveword...eatures/1000405

What I would love to know is what happened to those 16 songs

I've been able to confirm "multiple instrumentals" were recorded from July to Autumn 1999, during which time Robert was contacted but remained uninvolved and disinterested.

At least one track, Domino, was completed and performed live at Net Aid on Oct 9, 1999. The conversation Jeff and Michael had with Jimmy in Los Angeles probably occured in August 2000 during Jimmy's North American tour with The Black Crowes.

• 2 years later...

I've been able to confirm "multiple instrumentals" were recorded from July to Autumn 1999, during which time Robert was contacted but remained uninvolved and disinterested.

At least one track, Domino, was completed and performed live at Net Aid on Oct 9, 1999. The conversation Jeff and Michael had with Jimmy in Los Angeles probably occured in August 2000 during Jimmy's North American tour with The Black Crowes.

Hi Steve,

For whatever reason I woke up this morning thinking about this chat on the Zep forum. If you can make contact with Jimmy, ask him point blank for us if he and Jeff Martin have recorded any songs or more importantly demo's together either acoustic or electric. I just remembered hearing about an acoustic track that was recorded in Australia between 2004 and 2006 which I had forgotten about, that both guys were on. Again, it could be BS, which is fine, but the source of the info seemed legit to me.

Hi Steve,

For whatever reason I woke up this morning thinking about this chat on the Zep forum. If you can make contact with Jimmy, ask him point blank for us if he and Jeff Martin have recorded any songs or more importantly demo's together either acoustic or electric. I just remembered hearing about an acoustic track that was recorded in Australia between 2004 and 2006 which I had forgotten about, that both guys were on. Again, it could be BS, which is fine, but the source of the info seemed legit to me.

Jimmy hasn't set foot in Australia since March 1996.

• 11 months later...

Jimmy hasn't set foot in Australia since March 1996.

For whatever reason again, I remembered more of it, the track was not recorded in Australia but surfaced in Australia; the track was heard by at least 1 guy outside of the press, who was based in Australia and it would have been the summer time and claimed it was Martin and Page together. And it was a tape. Again, I could have been played but I do recall reading it as well and I recall that that what was written was not something out of context, but had a lot of detail around it. I'm sure it was from around 2004 to 2006.

• 6 months later...
On 7/17/2012 at 8:52 PM, Mudslider said:

Jimmy Page has a ton of stuff he hasn't released? Like what and how do you know this? It's going on 15 years of no new material.....pretty clear he's done with no ambition to work. At 68 with the money he has....why work if your heart is not in to it?

And fortunately he's been releasing it via his website?? what a couple opiod filled drone songs no one cares about? Autographed pics, I mean "fine art?" What has he released that turned any heads? He's just done with no indication of anything left in ther tank

well......he HAS to have plenty , just for example :

the bonzo solo footage that was cutout of TSRS while they played his drag racing etc..video  !

rite ? that alone is something he likely has that we would love to see!

5 hours ago, z1inspector said:

well......he HAS to have plenty , just for example :

the bonzo solo footage that was cutout of TSRS while they played his drag racing etc..video  !

rite ? that alone is something he likely has that we would love to see!

I obviously do not know what Jimmy has and does not have but I read that Joe Massot had filmed footage of John Paul Jones and his wife, Mo Jones, at a police firing range somewhere in New York City.  Now that is footage that I would love to see (if it still exists). 

• 3 weeks later...

Without sounding morbid, what happens when Page toddles off this mortal coil? Do all the soundboards and reels, etc. in his possession technically belong to someone in his will, or the band?

I know currently they all vote on every Zep archive release and have to reach a unanimous decision or it is vetoed. But is this a gentleman's agreement or is it legally binding?

It would be sad if really good soundboards never saw the light of day until after most of the fans from that era passed away too.

A comprehensive download-only release of all the rehearsal and soundboard material - in best quality - as well as the Seattle, Knebworth and Earls Court DVDs would be great.

That way, it's there for the die-hards, and you don't need a major record label to bankroll it.

2 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

This is all rather unfortunate. Steve would know best. But this is not even the late 70's where not many knew about

Page's decline in various areas musical and otherwise. Everybody knows about all that stuff now, mistakes, trainwrecks

etc. are expected, fans would really appreciate  more boards, studio stuff. I myself remember in the late 70's, Page

was a total superstar guitar god without flaw, but that is not expected now, release whatever, warts and all.

Never gonna happen and for good reason. Page, like anyone else, does not want to go down in history as the guitar god virtuoso who crippled himself through heroin addiction evident by sub-par performances. The most likely scenario would be either a best of EC or Knebworth DVD release, or, a complete Pontiac 77' with Page in good form. However, if I were Page, a mastered boot of one of the NY 77' shows or the Zurich / Frankfort 80' shows would be even better. I really don't care about video, it nice but I would much rather hear an excellent performance than see & hear an average one. A good compromise though would be a combo best of EC / Seattle 77' / Knebworth Aug 4th featuring songs not on the 2003 DVD, or better versions of some of the songs.

Its only a matter of time before the goods get let out, Jimmy is a perfectionist. Don't expect much of his promises, he's retired folks.

Most of it will likely be after he's gone, as far as a "bootleg series" but I sure hope one day he comes around and offers at least high res FLAC downloads officially. Dream come true.

And Seattle '77 will never be officially released, and I'm a huge '77 fan. Huge. If anything we'll be lucky to get a HTWWW 2.0 from the LA run. If we're lucky. Audio only obviously, audience tapes, monitor mixes possible, soundboards likely too. Mixed. Best versions from each gig. I could see it Official. Seattle though? Nah... -_- Great watch though, I love watching it.

What would you pay for a hi-res official LA '77 release? I know what I'd pay. B)

3 hours ago, Flares said:

My question was more about who assumes control of the archive after Page is no longer around, and would that mean a greater chance of legacy releases.

It would have to be equal or greater chance something will be done. I can't imagine the next gatekeeper is as constrained as JP. No way. And something put out could be a pretty profound tribute if done correct - whatever it may be.

But hey, Jimmy has a quite a few good years left in him one would hope, so you never know. He may want to scratch a live release itch. Maybe that bugbear of live examples across Zeppelin's reign he has mulled over. Fuck knows it would not be a failure. Couldn't be!

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:12 PM, Dirty Work said:

Its only a matter of time before the goods get let out, Jimmy is a perfectionist. Don't expect much of his promises, he's retired folks.

Most of it will likely be after he's gone, as far as a "bootleg series" but I sure hope one day he comes around and offers at least high res FLAC downloads officially. Dream come true.

And Seattle '77 will never be officially released, and I'm a huge '77 fan. Huge. If anything we'll be lucky to get a HTWWW 2.0 from the LA run. If we're lucky. Audio only obviously, audience tapes, monitor mixes possible, soundboards likely too. Mixed. Best versions from each gig. I could see it Official. Seattle though? Nah... -_- Great watch though, I love watching it.

What would you pay for a hi-res official LA '77 release? I know what I'd pay. B)

I have to say I'd be in heaven with that. I love those '77 L A gigs. We have Seattle, however the video
quality isn't the greatest is it, better than than nothing though eh?

This is where I wish Mike Millard had a side kick who could video those L A gigs as well as Mike could
record the audio. Too hard though. Good quality video would have to be approved so you can get all
the close ups and what not. Somebody holding a cheesy camcorder in 1977 from the upper deck in the
L A forum
:lol: not so much.

4 hours ago, Flares said:

My question was more about who assumes control of the archive after Page is no longer around, and would that mean a greater chance of legacy releases.

Yeah I was waiting for somebody to answer that too Flares.  I think with Sam ( I assume ) moving your
original post into the Jimmy Vault Thread  things  got turned around.

Sadly I think the book closes when Jimmy leaves.  His kids? Other than Scarlet I can't see any of his other
kids bothering much with  the legacy of L Z.   Of course Robert and Jones could finally decide to,  but who
knows how old they'd be by then.  Maybe Jason would be a choice? He seems more into the L Z stuff than
the other members family.

Usually the primary motivator for estate releases are money.

So the best chance would be the archive falling into the hands of someone who is hard-up (not much chance of that I suspect).

I guess the key question is this - legally, do the live tapes belong to Page or the entire band?

• 1 month later...

As is the case with many great recording artists, there are things stashed in the back of the vaults.  Problem is, its often unfinished material and would song rough.  Also, its unlikely material that would measure up to what they have already put out.  If it did, it would be out by now and surely it would have been on some of the reissues.  So I just doubt it.  There are songs in there for sure, but as good as Stairway, Ten Years Gone, No Quarter, Whole Lotta Love -- nope, forget it

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Wouldn't it be grouse if it was all put up online free for the world to enjoy when the last of the legends leaves us.

"Grouse"..what???

I only hope we get to hear Japan 1971 one day. And if it is just not possible, at least to know the reason why.

And I olso hope Jimmy wakes up one day and thinks "oh, we never put out  a full Earls Court set before".

It's wonderful to think there could be a dusty old box of more reel to reel tapes in there, and when played the reveal perfect sound-board concert recordings like we've never heard.  Its happened a couple of times.  Could it happen again?

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I really don't think we will see another official Zeppelin live release, I am very grateful to all the people who make excellent soundboard and audience releases available for us to download. I see an increasing number of individual people or 'no name' groups who do stellar work in remixing releases so there's always those appearing on a regular basis and many of their mixes are very good. I would say that there are many soundboard releases that are not far off official release quality plus a number of excellent audience releases that could be worked on to reduce the audience 'banter'. I'm just saying that what we have now may not be perfect but a lot of the boots are a real pleasure to listen to. I'm happy to live with that.

57 minutes ago, Jukkin said:

Whilst I really don't think we will see another official Zeppelin live release, I am very grateful to all the people who make excellent soundboard and audience releases available for us to download. I see an increasing number of individual people or 'no name' groups who do stellar work in remixing releases so there's always those appearing on a regular basis and many of their mixes are very good. I would say that there are many soundboard releases that are not far off official release quality plus a number of excellent audience releases that could be worked on to reduce the audience 'banter'. I'm just saying that what we have now may not be perfect but a lot of the boots are a real pleasure to listen to. I'm happy to live with that.

EXACTLY this. Too right. The boots are fantastic.

The only thing, I am not certain no other official release will be the story. Like The great man said - 5 years in Zeppelin time is like 5 minutes.

I still think there is a good chance, a distinct possibility, ther could be either an EC release or an umbrella live box that has a bit of everything (definitive - and final word - official "that's IT!" type release)

But those many, many boots that seem to be geting better and better - just FANTASTIC!!!!!! May they long continue to be tweaked, improved, released.

Archived