Jimmy Page's Vault

• 2 weeks later...

Is it empty? Is there anything left, any other recorded material that we could cherish?

With JPJ and Plant working on their own projects for a while, I think Page is the only one left who would even think about releasing anything else they have done.

Do you think he can make any magic happen?

The Zeppelin vaults most likely are empty. There is however a bunch of songs that Jimmy and Jeff Martin from The Tea Party recorded together that I understand have been sitting in his vault now for about 15 years

There is however a bunch of songs that Jimmy and Jeff Martin from The Tea Party recorded together that I understand have been sitting in his vault now for about 15 years

They are good friends but so far as I can recall neither has ever claimed to have recorded anything together. Perhaps I've forgotten.

i recently watched an 2010 interview where he said he's gonna work on new material next year (2011), but since nothing happened last year, then maybe he just kept the good stuff to himself or planning to release it soon, but since this is Monsieur Page, we'll have to wait in eagerness until we know the deal, which can't be known a second before it's official release.

True dat.

I don't think there's much salvageable stuff left in Jimmy's vault. Half baked demos & sketches but nothing "finished".

I mean, I for one am most interested in whatever he was cooking up in the 70's when he was peaking. That was Zeppelin. After 75, he was a heroin addict and his output & creativity nosedived.

He has tons of soundboard tapes from the Firm, Outrider, Coverdale Page, Page & Plant rehearsals and things like that.

He also has various demos from working with Michael Lee. Hell I'm sure he has the aborted Zep reunion rehearsals with Jason, too.

Worthy of release? To him probably not.

What the fuck are you talking about?

• RAH 1970 concert on Blu ray
  • Raw MSG footage on both Blu ray and DVD
  • Earls Court shows on DVD
  • Seattle 1977 show on DVD
  • Knebworth shows on DVD
  • O2 Arena 2007 show on both Blu ray and DVD
  • Some of Page's post-Zeppelin stugg
  • A plethora of multitracked concerts

• Knebworth shows on DVD

Pontiac '77.

Blue Ray releases of previous releases doesn't really count, but whatever.

MSG 73 footage has been exhausted.

Extended Earls Court release is a possibility.

Extended Knebworth release less likely. The 8/11/79 show is unusable.

Seattle 77 is not a good quality show, and there is no multitrack.

POntiac 77 IF it is in Page's possession, does not have multi track audio.

02 is a possibility.

Japan 71/72 audio is a possibility I guess.

There really isn't that much.

• Knebworth shows on DVD

He didn't play with those trannys, did he??

Yes. From jimmypage "on this day"

During the early part of May 1991, I had been writing with David Coverdale at his house in Nevada, in preparation for a joint project album. On May 14th, another act with his management, Poison, were playing at Reno. We took the evening off to go and see them. I wasn’t that keen, but was encouraged to come up and play someone else’s guitar on a version of 'Rock and Roll' with David on vocals. We were introduced stage centre and as the number began I started moving and playing to stage left out of the spotlight. I found myself falling through a pryo pit that was cut into the stage and nobody had warned me about it. I emerged with a few cracked ribs and a broken guitar but I still managed to carry on until the end of the song! Apart from a few twinges, this didn’t affect the ongoing writing process with David.

http://i1194.photobu...as/bg145yu1.jpg

Then let them remain in the vault.

That scenario is nothing I care to think about.

My sentiments exactly.

Buzzkills. I'd rather some arsehat at least try to release something, instead of the abhorrent silence we have from the actual members of the band.

Blue Ray releases of previous releases doesn't really count, but whatever.

MSG 73 footage has been exhausted.

Extended Earls Court release is a possibility.

Extended Knebworth release less likely. The 8/11/79 show is unusable.

Seattle 77 is not a good quality show, and there is no multitrack.

POntiac 77 IF it is in Page's possession, does not have multi track audio.

02 is a possibility.

Japan 71/72 audio is a possibility I guess.

There really isn't that much.

You've only touched on the live aspect - and, am I honestly crazy? Are you saying there's no worth to any of that material being released? I mean, we're talking about Led effing Zeppelin here - I don't care how much of it there is, so long as it exists...

To repeat: let them remain in the vault.

Firstly - because I for one wish all three a long and contented life, whether or not they continue to perform or release material.

Second, if it's Jimmy's vault we're discussing, what's really clear is that he's released material with extreme discrimination, in contrast to other recordings which have leaked out in so many ways. That discrimination is crucial. If you like , it's protecting the brand. It's an approach which he's been wholly true to, musically. Meanwhile his other releases: the book, the photos - have been scorned by some people here as milking his fame . I wouldn't like to read the comments if he did some kind of U turn and released anything and everything .

There's obviously lots that we'd like to hear/watch and lots that we'd all pay for ... but are we so used to being sold crap these days that we want someone whose genius is in part due to his uncompromising approach to start compromising bigtime ?

Why are any of us still on this site and talking about Led Zeppelin if Jimmy's discrimination wasn't one key element in forging their success in the first place?

Anyway.. never mind the vault . The wind's in the east ...

I hate to let the summer go but I think we've got a Christmas to look forward to ..

They are good friends but so far as I can recall neither has ever claimed to have recorded anything together. Perhaps I've forgotten.

There is about a dozen songs that exist that Page and Martin worked on together back around 1995, and which Martin has also contributed vocals to. Page requested for The Tea Party to open for he and Robert in the 90's. And about 5 years ago, Page had worked on some other songs, that he had planned for Robert, that he instead handed to Martin. I think Page is also the Godfather of Martin's son who was named after Jim. I think that Jeff Martin has slept at Jimmy's house as well. And I believe that the song "Most High" from the Walking Into Clarksdale was played around with by Jeff Martin while The Tea Party was working on their Tranmission album. In fact, I believe Jimmy was also asking Jeff about how Jeff uses the bow, because Martin developed a way for all of the strings to be used instead of just the first couple.

There is about a dozen songs that exist that Page and Martin worked on together back around 1995, and which Martin has also contributed vocals to. Page requested for The Tea Party to open for he and Robert in the 90's. And about 5 years ago, Page had worked on some other songs, that he had planned for Robert, that he instead handed to Martin. I think Page is also the Godfather of Martin's son who was named after Jim. I think that Jeff Martin has slept at Jimmy's house as well. And I believe that the song "Most High" from the Walking Into Clarksdale was played around with by Jeff Martin while The Tea Party was working on their Tranmission album. In fact, I believe Jimmy was also asking Jeff about how Jeff uses the bow, because Martin developed a way for all of the strings to be used instead of just the first couple.

Both have affirmed they've interacted socially but so far as I know neither has ever claimed to have recorded with the other. Doesn't mean they didn't, but if neither has said so how can you be so sure about presenting they have as a fact?

Both have affirmed they've interacted socially but so far as I know neither has ever claimed to have recorded with the other. Doesn't mean they didn't, but if neither has said so how can you be so sure about presenting they have as a fact?

It could have been a joke, which if it is that is fine, I was played a fool, but it came from the horses mouth

It could have been a joke, which if it is that is fine, I was played a fool, but it came from the horses mouth

Which horse are you referring to? It doesn't sound like something Jimmy would ever jest about. Regardless, my point is it seems to me if recordings had been done they'd have both owned up to it by now, particularly as the question came up during interviews in the past.

Which horse are you referring to? It doesn't sound like something Jimmy would ever jest about. Regardless, my point is it seems to me if recordings had been done they'd have both owned up to it by now, particularly as the question came up during interviews in the past.

I found some stuff just now to back what I was saying - it's about 8 minutes and 20 seconds into the interview

www.jeffmartin-online.com/media/chominterview.mp3

What happened to the stuff, I have no idea, for whatever reason Jimmy is scared to pick up a guitar these days...

I found some stuff just now to back what I was saying - it's about 8 minutes and 20 seconds into the interview

www.jeffmartin-online.com/media/chominterview.mp3

What happened to the stuff, I have no idea, for whatever reason Jimmy is scared to pick up a guitar these days...

I've played back what he said and he's referring to instrumental rehearsals Jimmy & Michael Lee held in studio in Spring/Summer 1999.

Jeff had nothing to do with those sessions whatsoever and it sounds to me like he's kidding about Jimmy asking him to contribute lyrics.

If Michael Lee really provided him a single track - let alone16 - from those sessions for that or any other purpose I'd be really surprised.

Maybe Jeff never really contributed to those unreleased sessions but there are numerous well-known links between Jimmy Page & Jeff Martin.

The Tea Party opened for Page/Plant on some Canadian dates for their 1995/1996 world tour.

Both Jeff Martin and Jimmy Page are Roy Harper's friends. Jeff extended this friendship to collaborate with Roy on playing with him on his records. "The Green Man" is an example of that.

The late Michael Lee played with Jeff Martin after P/P disbanded.

And Jeff is totally obsessed with Jimmy's guitars, techniques, sounds and skills and LED ZEPPELIN'S trademark blend of western & eastern musical influences served as a MAJOR inspiration in Jeff's career.

I've always thought that Jeff Martin could be the perfect guy for Jimmy's music. I suspect that with the tragic death of Michael Lee, projects and positive things were darkened ....

Maybe Jeff never really contributed to those unreleased sessions but there are numerous well-known links between Jimmy Page & Jeff Martin.

The Tea Party opened for Page/Plant on some Canadian dates for their 1995/1996 world tour.

Both Jeff Martin and Jimmy Page are Roy Harper's friends. Jeff extended this friendship to collaborate with Roy on playing with him on his records. "The Green Man" is an example of that.

The late Michael Lee played with Jeff Martin after P/P disbanded.

And Jeff is totally obsessed with Jimmy's guitars, techniques, sounds and skills and LED ZEPPELIN'S trademark blend of western & eastern musical influences served as a MAJOR inspiration in Jeff's career.

I've always thought that Jeff Martin could be the perfect guy for Jimmy's music. I suspect that with the tragic death of Michael Lee, projects and positive things were darkened ....

There was a session around 1995/96 where Jeff Martin was staying with Jimmy in England, and they recorded some songs in Jimmy’s home studio – the number I recall being said was 12. It could be just joke, and perhaps I was being played, but that is the exact number I recall being said. And if I recall correctly, Jimmy had a copy of The Tea Party’s Edges of Twilight album and that is what inspired “Most High” from Walking into Clarksdale. Apparently, Jeff was also playing some demo’s from The Tea Party’s Transmission album, and seeking guidance as to the direction from Jimmy.

The songs that Michael Lee and Jimmy worked on would have been from a differerent time frame. And yes Jeff did play on Roy Harper's album. In fact, on Jeff's solo album, there was a very special thanks that was given to Roy Harper and Jimmy.

“Michael and I spoke a couple of days ago to Page; he was in Los Angeles, and the reason being is, because Michael and Jimmy wrote 16 songs together in a rehearsal space about a year and a half ago, and the purpose of it was to woo ROBERT PLANT back into the band, but Robert didn't really want any part of it. So I started to think about lyrics and vocal melodies for it, and after Exile In The Kingdom is said and done, we’re probably going to put that together and maybe take it on the road.”

http://www.bravewords.com/features/1000405

What I would love to know is what happened to those 16 songs

There are numerous well-known links between Jimmy and hundreds of musicians, many of whom have publicly expressed an interest in collaborating. Clearly the end of the Page, Jones, Bonham post-02 project more than four years ago suggests he's quite done, and there's no shame in having reached the inevitable end of one's journey in music.

Archived