What did Led Zep listen to in their creative heydays

Giordano

so what records of contemporary artists did they listen to during their 68-76 high flying days?

obviously we have those old blues records, The Elvis stuff from their adolescent days and all the tunes they famously "borrowed" from. I'm more interested in the albums of their colleques that they appreciated.

let's make a list.

----

I'll kick it off:

Plant has been heard to say he was into late 60's west coast bands like Moby Grape, Love & Buffalo Springfield

Polka.

And Slade. ;)

Seriously, there's probably a tgread for this already...but I'll let Jahfin find it. He's better at it than I am.

In addition to the 60s West Coast bands you mention(Moby Grape et al.), you can also add:

Incredible String Band

Fleetwood Mac(Peter Green era)

Fairport Convention

Bert Jansch

Joni Mitchell

Neil Young

Little Feat

Yes

Rory Gallagher

Free

Bad Company

Isaac Hayes

The Isley Brothers

Motown

Stax soul and funk

ZZ Top

Just a few off the top of my head.

You must remember Les Paul, especially for Jimmy (He loves "Bye Bye Blues" and mentioned it in OTD.)

Of course for especially Jimmy and Robert, Elvis Presley.

I think it was Earls Court where Robert says they would now go listen to Bob Marley and the Wailers. :D

You must remember Les Paul, especially for Jimmy (He loves "Bye Bye Blues" and mentioned it in OTD.)

Yes, but as the OP wrote, he's asking for contemporary acts that the band listened to during their 1969-80 reign. Bands that were part of the scene, putting out records and touring along with Zeppelin.

Yes, but as the OP wrote, he's asking for contemporary acts that the band listened to during their 1969-80 reign. Bands that were part of the scene, putting out records and touring along with Zeppelin.

Yes, I only mentioned them because they we big enough to them to mention.

The Police, Rush, and Captain & Tenille (Muskrat Love in particular).

The Police, Rush, and Captain & Tenille (Muskrat Love in particular).

The Police and Rush I could run with.... but captain&tenille ???

Polka.

And Slade. ;)

Seriously, there's probably a tgread for this already...but I'll let Jahfin find it. He's better at it than I am.

In addition to the 60s West Coast bands you mention(Moby Grape et al.), you can also add:

Incredible String Band

Fleetwood Mac(Peter Green era)

Fairport Convention

Bert Jansch

Joni Mitchell

Neil Young

Little Feat

Yes

Rory Gallagher

Free

Bad Company

Isaac Hayes

The Isley Brothers

Motown

Stax soul and funk

ZZ Top

Just a few off the top of my head.

ZZ Top really? I find that so intriguing.

ZZtop. could be....

Mr. Billy Gibbons has a great Les Paul tone. Something that would no doubt have interested mr. Page.

Plus their early records are quite gritty...a bit camp...but gritty.

Nothing like that "gimme all your lovin'- 80's stuff" the went on to do later on.

you mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXXThSZjNvQ

I hardly think Page got the sequence from this tune as Let It grow was on 461 Ocean Boulevard, wich was released in 1974.

LZ IV was from 71

First point: THANKYOU for the opportunity to listen again to a song I really remember from that era.... and I almost certainly wouldn't remember it if it had pre-dated Stairway...

I was catching up when I first listened to Stairway . So unlike Led Zeppelin, I probably HAD listened to this Clapton song first. But Stairway was like something I'd never, ever heard.

No comparison anyway : I kind of have a soft spot for the Clapton song ( mushy feelings about any song I know from those days ) but it really doesn't approach Stairway .

First point: THANKYOU for the opportunity to listen again to a song I really remember from that era.... and I almost certainly wouldn't remember it if it had pre-dated Stairway...

I was catching up when I first listened to Stairway . So unlike Led Zeppelin, I probably HAD listened to this Clapton song first. But Stairway was like something I'd never, ever heard.

No comparison anyway : I kind of have a soft spot for the Clapton song ( mushy feelings about any song I know from those days ) but it really doesn't approach Stairway .

Agree/

Jimmy was influenced by Clapton's Let it grow, without which Stairway would have been denied.

From Eric Clapton's book "Clapton: The Autobiography" page 148:

"One of the songs I had started was coming along quite well, and I was very proud of my inventiveness in the verse. This was "Let It Grow", and it was several years before I realized that I had totally ripped off "Stairway To Heaven", the famous Zeppelin anthem, a cruel justice seeing as how I'd always been a severe critic of theirs."

Now this can be put to rest.

From Eric Clapton's book "Clapton: The Autobiography" page 148:

"One of the songs I had started was coming along quite well, and I was very proud of my inventiveness in the verse. This was "Let It Grow", and it was several years before I realized that I had totally ripped off "Stairway To Heaven", the famous Zeppelin anthem, a cruel justice seeing as how I'd always been a severe critic of theirs."

Now this can be put to rest.

Well done Kaiser.

It's baffling that it ever became an issue. It's like saying "Going to California" wouldn't have existed without "Given to Fly".

Archived