John Mclaughlin giving lessons to Jimmy Page

hecube

McLaughlin actually got his first big break alongside John Paul Jones, when they were both hired in 1963 to be members of Jet Harris & Tony Meehan's backing group. McLaughlin & Jones also played in a couple other bands together, including The Night-Timers. McLaughlin also dabbled in the session scene, playing a few sessions with Jimmy Page.

I've never heard the story of McLaughlin living with Page, though.

John McLaughlin in an interview with Bill Milkowski in 2004: "No, but you know who was' Somebody who I gave lessons to...what was his name' He played with Led Zeppelin...ah, Jimmy Page. Yeah, we used to do sessions together. And the bass player from Led Zeppelin, John Paul Jones...we were with Herbie Goins and the Nightimers, an r&b band doing James Brown and Bobby Blue Bland covers. That was a nice band."

John McLaughlin is a great guitarist. One of the greatest ever. Jimmy would agree to that and I am sure he and John are friends and I know they respect each other.

Can you recommend something in particular? I knew of Carlos Santana idolizizing him, and consider one of the most firey concerts I've ever seen was Carlos and a family type group that accompanied him. Yet, when I've briefly dabbled into listening to Mclaughlin's work, I'm sorry to report what I found seemed disjointed and repetitive.

Can you recommend something in particular? I knew of Carlos Santana idolizizing him, and consider one of the most firey concerts I've ever seen was Carlos and a family type group that accompanied him. Yet, when I've briefly dabbled into listening to Mclaughlin's work, I'm sorry to report what I found seemed disjointed and repetitive.

Anything by the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Especially The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds Of Fire Apocalypse and Visions Of The Emerald Beyond. Any of his solo albums such as Belo Horizonte or Music Spoken Here.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff is often not easy on the ears I agree, have you tried the album of Coltrane covers he recorded with Carlos? if you can look past the cricket based fashion its a great firey but more straight forward album....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c9g7Gzg9Ew

His best work for me is his time in Miles band in the late 60's/early 70's though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_w3-Bx9rnI

• 1 month later...

I met John McLaughlin a few years ago after he performed at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta with Chick Corea and he said that he did some sessions with JP and played some with JPJ when we spoke. He was very nice and spoke highly of them as well as Eric Johnson, one of my favorite guitarists.

• 3 weeks later...

Interview:John McLaughlin (solo,Mahavishnu Orchestra,Miles Davis)

HIT CHANNEL EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW:

October 8, 2012

You gave guitar lessons to Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin. How was Jimmy as a student?

He was great! You know, I was 18, he was 17. I knew a little more about harmony and jazz. Also, I know John Paul Jones the bass player. I used to teach him harmony. We were in a rhythm and blues band together. Then I knew Jimmy. We knew each other because..

You were very famous session players.

Yeah, we all were session players because that was how we could survive. Playing pop and rock. But we had a lot of fun. When Jimmy and John Paul, made Led Zeppelin, wow!! It was fantastic.

http://www.hit-chann.../#ixzz293lqR4Nv

^^^

Good call on the "Tribute to Jack Johnson" greenman! :thumbsup:

Agreed, haven't listened to Miles's Jack Johnson in years, and your link to it has made my night!

My little, personal Page/McLaughlin tale stems from my Dad buying me "The Best of John McLaughlin" when i was about 12 or 13. He knew Jimmy Page was my idol, and when he saw McLaughlin on the album cover (MI0003157844.jpg?partner=allrovi.com -He thought I couldn't help but dig it. I didn't warm up to it totally, but it did give some exposure to fusion and a love of John Coltrane that I developed later (as someone else mentioned, my favorite McLaughlin playing is actually on Miles Davis albums, especially Live-Evil and Jack Johnson. I actually saw McLaughlin play here in Albany NY about 5 years ago, and it was a great show. Though I still think Pagey can say more in alot fewer notes!

Archived