'Top Gun' director Tony Scott dies at age 68 in apparent suicide

Ady

RIP, Tony!

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni34484776/

Tony Scott, the director of Hollywood hits such as Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, and Unstoppable, died Sunday at age 68, his publicist has confirmed to EW. According to the Los Angeles Police Department’s harbor division, the British-born filmmaker jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas bridge near Long Beach, Calif.

According to officials, the director climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge and leapt off around 12:30 p.m. Police reportedly found a suicide note inside Scott’s black Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge. His identity was confirmed around 7 p.m. by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.

Scott and his older brother Ridley (the Oscar-nominated director of films like Alien, Gladiator, and Prometheus) were partners in Scott Free Productions, whose latest project is A&E’s four-hour medical thriller Coma, due to air next month. Tony Scott, whose last film was the 2010 runaway-train thriller Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine, had been developing a sequel to his 1986 Tom Cruise blockbuster Top Gun.

:o

Geographical note: The Vincent Thomas Bridge is the bridge you see in films such as "Gone in 60 Seconds" and "Heat"(although Robert De Niro misnames it the "Saint Vincent Thomas Bridge"). It's located in the San Pedro/LA Harbor area of L.A.

So shocking and sad, my God... I wonder to what extent (if at all) the rumoured brain tumor affected sound judgement? I hope that comes across in the right way. I'm not trying to be insensitive to the trauma that news of such a diagnosis can inflict. Just wondering aloud about something that has seemingly come out of left field.

Thought and prayers to the family.

RIP, Tony

http://news.sky.com/story/975119/tony-scotts-widow-denies-he-had-cancer

Tony Scott's Widow Denies He Had Cancer

The widow of British movie director Tony Scott has denied that her husband had been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, it has been reported.

Actress Donna Wilson said rumours the movie director was ill were "absolutely false", according to celebrity news website TMZ.

Her comments emerged after a post mortem was conducted on the Top Gun director. Findings from the examination were not released, pending toxicology tests.

ABC News in America initially reported that a source close to the family had confirmed that Mr Scott was suffering from inoperable brain cancer.

However, LA county coroner's office spokesman Ed Winter refused to comment on the reports.

He added that the examination of Mr Scott's brain could not be completed on Monday.

A TMZ source said: "We're told Scott's wife says Tony did not have any other severe medical issues that would have caused him to take his own life."

ABC News later amended their story under a headline: "Tony Scott Brain Cancer Report Appears in Doubt".

Meanwhile tributes continued to pour in for the 68-year-old, who directed Top Gun, Days Of Thunder, Beverly Hills Cop II and Crimson Tide.

Top Gun actor Tom Cruise said Mr Scott was a "dear friend" who would be sorely missed.

His Top Gun co-star Val Kilmer said Mr Scott was "the kindest film director I ever worked for" in a post on Twitter.

Police and the US Coast Guard pulled Mr Scott's body out of the water near the Vincent Thomas Bridge over Los Angeles Harbour on Sunday.

Investigators found a suicide note in his office, the Los Angeles Times reported. Its contents have not been revealed.

A witness saw Mr Scott climb over a fence on the bridge and jump into the water, according to Lieutenant Joseph Bale of the coroner's office.

Mr Scott was the younger brother of fellow film director Ridley Scott, the maker of Oscar-winning movies like Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.

No reason to jump off a bridge is it?

?

What's no reason? Do you mean the potential brain cancer rumour? That would be a perfectly good reason in my opinion.

His reasons were down to him. Seems we don't know them yet and we may never know them. He made the choice about his own life - you're not the one to judge that.

?

What's no reason? Do you mean the potential brain cancer rumour? That would be a perfectly good reason in my opinion.

His reasons were down to him. Seems we don't know them yet and we may never know them. He made the choice about his own life - you're not the one to judge that.

I didn't judge... I just made a comment Knebby.

Archived