LZ/Tempe, AZ, July 20, 1977

PlanetPage

I agree even on a strange night as this haha they were better than 80% other bands live. I remember when I got this show back doing trades with cassettes in the old days lol It really made me rewind the tape when Jimmy just did a small portion of Black Mountainside and then started the riff of Kashmir and it took awhile before Bonzo then JPJ's to join him. No white summer is played at this show. Also Jimmy does play the riff of Dancing Days a bit during Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. Talk about the Tight but Looseness -scale weighing in the looseness corner quite a bit more.

Then you had the weird but cool opening of Achilles Last Stand where he plays what sounds kinda like spanish to me guitar before the actual Achilles intro. I just went back and listened to the show again and there is one other thing totally different to any other 1977 show. When he does the guitar sol/theremin/violin solo- he starts off on the violin then goes to the theremin and then back to the violin- he did not do this at any other show.

Unfortunately, Tempe 1977 got the stink because the original tape ran slow, so the assumptions were that the band, in fact, were playing slow (read: under the influence, etc.). When a speed correction came out, it revealed a slightly bigger picture. Interesting choices were made that night by Jimmy.The real reason why he played so little of WS/BMS will most likely never be known.

It is what it is.

• 7 months later...

Thanks! Of all places Facebook. I'll check to see if there are more. It's such a great shot. Jimmy looks way out. His stage outfit for this show is killer. How come more photos of this show have yet to surface? Was Neil Preston shooting for this show?

Check this out!!!! WOW!!!

WOW!!! is right!

Fantastic find Jason!! hope there is more. you know they just didn't take one picture and put the camera away.

This show as maligned as it is, would be a holy grail of a soundboard.

So glad you said this Nutrocker, I almost replied to your post above earlier today saying the same thing. In fact, it's almost my number one new live Zeppelin source wish: all Tempe songs from TSRTS to TYG. I hope it will turn up someday, along with a better audience source for the back half of the show!!!

This show as maligned as it is, would be a holy grail of a soundboard.

I bet even a couple of years ago (i.e. before my remaster of the Tempe recording made the rounds and was subsequently booted) people would have thought we were right out of our fuckin' minds for even thinking such a thing about this show, never mind saying it...:lol:

I admit I sorta feel indirectly responsible for the reappraisal the Tempe show has had...for years this show was unjustly maligned as being "Zeppelin's Worst Gig", that seems to have changed a bit now.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

My first post here, so please be kind. I was at the Tempe show in 1977. I thought they mostly stunk up the place, at the time. Today, I picked up my guitar and, for the first time ever, decided to learn That's The Way from severel you tube videos. I now realize how mastetful a guitarist Page is, and was, that night. I remember rumors of Page bring sick or having the flu. One thing I clearly remember is that the arena was concrete and had absolutely terrible harsh acoustics. I've read o ly  a few posts here and so far no one has mentioned Page sitting in a chair for part of the concert. I clearly remember he was wearing a black "jumpsuit" festooned with dragons or some kind of embroidery. Tempe is about 120 miles from where I lived. I rode there and back in the back seat of a Ford Pinto...brutal for a six foot tall human. I still tell people about this concert and blame my partial hearing loss on a huge explosion of pyrotechnics at that show. At the time, I didn't know just how skilled they were/are and expected every song to sound exactly like all my vinyl records. I feel very fortunate to have seen them live. It is a cherished memory of my younger days. I started this Zepplin search out of curiosity and I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks for all the great Zepplin info here.

" Thinking how it used to be..."

• 8 months later...
On 7/24/2016 at 9:15 PM, Zonie Grey Ghost said:

My first post here, so please be kind. I was at the Tempe show in 1977. I thought they mostly stunk up the place, at the time. Today, I picked up my guitar and, for the first time ever, decided to learn That's The Way from severel you tube videos. I now realize how mastetful a guitarist Page is, and was, that night. I remember rumors of Page bring sick or having the flu. One thing I clearly remember is that the arena was concrete and had absolutely terrible harsh acoustics. I've read o ly  a few posts here and so far no one has mentioned Page sitting in a chair for part of the concert. I clearly remember he was wearing a black "jumpsuit" festooned with dragons or some kind of embroidery. Tempe is about 120 miles from where I lived. I rode there and back in the back seat of a Ford Pinto...brutal for a six foot tall human. I still tell people about this concert and blame my partial hearing loss on a huge explosion of pyrotechnics at that show. At the time, I didn't know just how skilled they were/are and expected every song to sound exactly like all my vinyl records. I feel very fortunate to have seen them live. It is a cherished memory of my younger days. I started this Zepplin search out of curiosity and I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks for all the great Zepplin info here.

" Thinking how it used to be..."

Welcome to the forum!!!

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2017 at 3:52 PM, And You Know How It Is? said:

And, keeping my fingers crossed, maybe someone will release Tempe's full concert recording, sometime during this 40th anniversary year of this show!

Can you imagine? That'd be fuckin' hilarious! :lol:

• 1 month later...

BUMP

40 Years Gone Today.

Was hoping for a new picture from this concert to surface, on this 40th anniversary.

Was hoping for a new soundboard of this show to surface, on this 40th anniversary.

Was hoping for a new audience recording of this show to surface, at least of the first 7 songs that never made it to tape, on this 40th anniversary.

And even Jimmy wouldn't talk about it on jp.com, On This Day (Okay, I get this one is a stretch :))

Sigh...maybe someday we'll get more for this maligned concert (right Nutrocker?)

Archived