LZ/Tempe, AZ, July 20, 1977

PlanetPage

Thanks PlanetPage- You told me you were gonna do some digging -thanks. I had an idea Robert would be wearing the same blouse as Seattle. Already knew what Jimmy was wearing.

I have enlarged the pics. Now PlanetPage we just need to track down the photographer who took these and see if he has the rest of the roll or rolls.

Desert-3.jpg

Kashmir

Chrysanthemum-6.jpg

Thanks all for your kind comments. I really enjoyed these reviews, under difficult circumstances, they remain truly amazing....Fine Skillful Musicians they are...

Ms. Melanie, I don't have any more photos at the moment, however, there are few more publications, I will see when time permits, if I can access those somewhere...

Arizona Republic has no photos, I saw only one review....here it is...

http://ledzeppelin-r...px?flairid=1845

...as always, I post these with utmost respect for the Legendary Led Zeppelin...while acknowledging the freedom of press...

Thanks PlanetPage- You told me you were gonna do some digging -thanks. I had an idea Robert would be wearing the same blouse as Seattle. Already knew what Jimmy was wearing.

I have enlarged the pics. Now PlanetPage we just need to track down the photographer who took these and see if he has the rest of the roll or rolls.

Desert-3.jpg

Kasmir

Chrysanthemum-6.jpg

Robert also wore that blouse on the outside of the Nurses do it better t- shirt on the next date in Oakland, but don't think he wore that over the white t for the 2nd Oakland date.

It's funny, the reviewer said they played IMTOD, but said Jones played good keyboards on the song? Think he meant Trampled Underfoot? Or could Zep have played IMTOD, in which case the Jimmy Tempe photo could be during that song (especially as it's usually early in the set during the '77 tour, and if this guy was shooting from the PIT, he may not have had much photographic time).

Do we know for sure OTHAFA was played, and not IMTOD?

Robert also wore that blouse on the outside of the Nurses do it better t- shirt on the next date in Oakland, but don't think he wore that over the white t for the 2nd Oakland date.

It's funny, the reviewer said they played IMTOD, but said Jones played good keyboards on the song? Think he meant Trampled Underfoot? Or could Zep have played IMTOD, in which case the Jimmy Tempe photo could be during that song (especially as it's usually early in the set during the '77 tour, and if this guy was shooting from the PIT, he may not have had much photographic time).

Do we know for sure OTHAFA was played, and not IMTOD?

You are right we don't know- maybe it was In MY Time of Dying as they had recently played it at the 4th show in Los Angeles 6-25-77 and yes Robert wore that same blouse at the Oakland 7-23-77 show for some of the opening numbers and I think later on as it was windy. He wore the black blouse that he wore at the New York 6-8-77 show the next days show-Oakland 7-24-77.

Desert-3.jpg

Kasmir

Chrysanthemum-6.jpg

Thank you DavidZ. for these, I tried but not too good at these...The Archives Staff who released these photos do not believe there are any more photos from

The Late Photographer Greg Crowder. I will keep myself updated, and will certainly post any valuable response from them...

Here is the response received just today...this has already been mentioned in the article above although...

“The Gammage” refers to our Frank Lloyd Wright designed concert venue Gammage Memorial Auditorium, which was not used for this event. Staff from Gammage assisted the road crew with lighting installation at the ASU Activity Center, where the concert was actually held.

I don’t believe we have any other photos from Mr. Crowder.

Some Background info. on Greg Crowder - Scholarship Fund..

http://cronkite.asu.edu/node/1007

PlanetPage, you have outdone yourself. Thanks for posting. I have heard that this was a rough night but to read an actual review was cringe worthy. Ouch!

The review did not sound cringe worthy at all, quite the contrary. It pointed out flaws but overall the review was not bad at all considering all the negative hype surrounding this show. Have to give it to Jimmy when you really think about it. The guy was speedballing and drunk a good portion of the 77' tour but yet even a bad show was still decent overall. If I was doing that shit the last thing I would have to worry about is if I could nail a particular solo in that condition, more likely I would be duct-taping myself to a solid object to keep from floating into the atmosphere.

You are right we don't know- maybe it was In MY Time of Dying as they had recently played it at the 4th show in Los Angeles 6-25-77 and yes Robert wore that same blouse at the Oakland 7-23-77 show for some of the opening numbers and I think later on as it was windy. He wore the black blouse that he wore at the New York 6-8-77 show the next days show-Oakland 7-24-77.

Looks to be Kashmir to me, can't see a slide on Jimmy's fretting fingers. I remember reading a review a fan wrote of the show and he said that Jimmy was so out of it that Robert had to hit his effects pedals for him during Over the Hills. So it's safe to assume that it was played. I shudder to imagine how Jimmy would have coped with all of that slide work on IMTOD in the condition he was in.

Looks to be Kashmir to me, can't see a slide on Jimmy's fretting fingers. I remember reading a review a fan wrote of the show and he said that Jimmy was so out of it that Robert had to hit his effects pedals for him during Over the Hills. So it's safe to assume that it was played. I shudder to imagine how Jimmy would have coped with all of that slide work on IMTOD in the condition he was in.

I know the pic is Kashmir as I labeled it as such. I was referring to the review as it mentions In MY Time of Dying.

The review did not sound cringe worthy at all, quite the contrary. It pointed out flaws but overall the review was not bad at all considering all the negative hype surrounding this show. Have to give it to Jimmy when you really think about it. The guy was speedballing and drunk a good portion of the 77' tour but yet even a bad show was still decent overall. If I was doing that shit the last thing I would have to worry about is if I could nail a particular solo in that condition, more likely I would be duct-taping myself to a solid object to keep from floating into the atmosphere.

Yes and then how he moved around with the doubleneck -on his knees and playing the 12 string during The Song Remains the Same- he was in more control of his mind and body than people think.

Thank you so much for this, PlanetPage. It's very interseting. Also, do you know of any other pictures of Jimmy wearing this vest and scarf on this date? It is very like him and I love it. I was curious if there were more pictures of him at this show. It's seems to be only time he wore this?

Thank you so much for this, PlanetPage. It's very interseting. Also, do you know of any other pictures of Jimmy wearing this vest and scarf on this date? It is very like him and I love it. I was curious if there were more pictures of him at this show. It's seems to be only time he wore this?

...You welcome AEN; I think you will recall there is a picture of Jimmy wearing a three piece black stripe suit...I think there is a one time he wore this on stage in '75, I don't think it was '77, it is somewhere in the Hot Pictures Thread. I think the Vest belongs with that black suit, a dinner formal wear so to speak.

W/Thanks to David Zoso for a bigger version of this vest/Jimmy Page Photo...if you look closely, it is somewhat clear that he is wearing a black dragon pants to match...so it appears to me anyway...

at the moment there are no further photos, maybe something will turn up later when I will contact few more archives, but it takes time...

it is difficult to turn up photos, but under the circumstances, at least there is some documentation, including Press, (which is very important) which I think speaks for the truth of the Legendary Musicians, they were brilliant, even on this dark night, looking back in time...

...You welcome AEN; I think you will recall there is a picture of Jimmy wearing a three piece black stripe suit...I think there is a one time he wore this on stage in '75, I don't think it was '77, it is somewhere in the Hot Pictures Thread. I think the Vest belongs with that black suit, a dinner formal wear so to speak.

W/Thanks to David Zoso for a bigger version of this vest/Jimmy Page Photo...if you look closely, it is somewhat clear that he is wearing a black dragon pants to match...so it appears to me anyway...

at the moment there are no further photos, maybe something will turn up later when I will contact few more archives, but it takes time...

it is difficult to turn up photos, but under the circumstances, at least there is some documentation, including Press, (which is very important) which I think speaks for the truth of the Legendary Musicians, they were brilliant, even on this dark night, looking back in time...

The one where he and Robert played with Bad Company? I think that is the one. I think that is also the black penstripe suit he wears at Swan Song in 1976 in the pictures by Kate Simon which are where these are from below.

Jimmybook086.jpg

Please keep us updated when you have time. Thanks as always.

IMO the Tempe show is a fine example "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

As I've said before, no, it's not as good as the LA '77 shows (some of which had their share of whoopsies) but the Tempe gig isn't really as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. I don't think (based on the reviews posted here and the incomplete audience recording) it's low points are any lower than in Seattle three days earlier. Plant's voice is shot to the point where he can't hit any of the high notes (ala early 1975) and Page is erratic in places, but no worse than some other '77 shows. The late start might have had something to do with it all.

Again, I don't hear any booing on the tapes of the show...

IMO the Tempe show is a fine example "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

As I've said before, no, it's not as good as the LA '77 shows (some of which had their share of whoopsies) but the Tempe gig isn't really as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. I don't think (based on the reviews posted here and the incomplete audience recording) it's low points are any lower than in Seattle three days earlier. Plant's voice is shot to the point where he can't hit any of the high notes (ala early 1975) and Page is erratic in places, but no worse than some other '77 shows. The late start might have had something to do with it all.

Again, I don't hear any booing on the tapes of the show...

I agree even on a strange night as this haha they were better than 80% other bands live. I remember when I got this show back doing trades with cassettes in the old days lol It really made me rewind the tape when Jimmy just did a small portion of Black Mountainside and then started the riff of Kashmir and it took awhile before Bonzo then JPJ's to join him. No white summer is played at this show. Also Jimmy does play the riff of Dancing Days a bit during Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. Talk about the Tight but Looseness -scale weighing in the looseness corner quite a bit more.

Then you had the weird but cool opening of Achilles Last Stand where he plays what sounds kinda like spanish to me guitar before the actual Achilles intro. I just went back and listened to the show again and there is one other thing totally different to any other 1977 show. When he does the guitar sol/theremin/violin solo- he starts off on the violin then goes to the theremin and then back to the violin- he did not do this at any other show.

Archived